cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WINDOWS 10 Fresh install MBR to GPT problem

hadzimusic
Level 7
I bought ROG G751TJ with SSD and HDD installed, but with freeDos. I separately bought Windows 10 PRO. When I put disk in, and tried to select either of offered choices (2 partitions of SSD or HDD) it would give me a message:
"Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has MBR partition table. ON EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT disks."

I was in the rush, and I followed tutorial on YouTube and pressed F10+SHIFT which opened command prompt. I typed “diskpart” followed by “listdisk”. I was surprised that it only showed SSD (as one partion), but I did not pay enough attention since I was rushing. Then, I typed “disk 0” to select it, followed by command: “clean”. Obviously I cleaned something that I was not supposed to. Lastly, I typed: “convert GPT” which converted it to GPT.

Windows installed, but it cannot see HDD. Moreover, BIOS does not see it. I tried many things, nothing helps. What have I deleted? How do I go on? I dare not proceed with any software installation before solving this issue.
I appreciate helpful tips in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Lazran
Level 7
Diskpart is a great tool and is worth taking your time to get to know. Disk 0 is what ever driver is plugged into SATA port 1 on
your motherboard and running the clean command will wipe anything (partitions included) from the disk so you can start with a
clean slate. However when installing Windows 10 you should have the option to delete the disk partition and reformat. This lets
the installer format the drive as needed for windows 10. I just installed Win10 Education editionon my system a few days ago
and can confirm this.

As for the missing HDD, if BIOS/UEFI does not see it then nothing on the system will. Rest assure that the clean command you ran would have had
nothing to do with this drive not showing up. Further more you issued it on Disk 0 so it would not touch any of the other disks.
with the SSD disconnected try the HDD on a few different SATA ports and see if the BIOS sees it. You could also connect a spare HDD if you have one
laying around and see id BIOS sees that.

Lazran wrote:
Diskpart is a great tool and is worth taking your time to get to know. Disk 0 is what ever driver is plugged into SATA port 1 on
your motherboard and running the clean command will wipe anything (partitions included) from the disk so you can start with a
clean slate. However when installing Windows 10 you should have the option to delete the disk partition and reformat. This lets
the installer format the drive as needed for windows 10. I just installed Win10 Education editionon my system a few days ago
and can confirm this.

As for the missing HDD, if BIOS/UEFI does not see it then nothing on the system will. Rest assure that the clean command you ran would have had
nothing to do with this drive not showing up. Further more you issued it on Disk 0 so it would not touch any of the other disks.
with the SSD disconnected try the HDD on a few different SATA ports and see if the BIOS sees it. You could also connect a spare HDD if you have one
laying around and see id BIOS sees that.

Lazran, thank you for answering. I am honestly a little bit reluctant to do what you proposed, just for the one reason - I feel that a brand new laptop should work from the start, this is my who-knows-which one. Nevertheless, it is NOT working as it is supposed to.

One thing that is confusing me, and a reason why I did not turn to ASUS service yet - is a fact that, when I put the WIN 10 installation disk in - it did show HDD. That leads me to suggestion that I may have screwed something up.

Thank you, if something new does not come up, I will certainly going to try it. I am just pissed that it does not work well from the begging.

Gps3dx
Level 12
hadzimusic wrote:
I bought ROG G751TJ with SSD and HDD installed, but with freeDos. I separately bought Windows 10 PRO....Windows installed, but it cannot see HDD

Hello there new ROG citizen and Welcome to ROG central Forums.

We @Vault-Tec, wish to let you know that no matter which PipBoy (aka your laptop) version you hold, the minute you have entered ROG forums, you're able to SEARCH FOR ANYTHING using your own private PipBoy.... and it is really simple !
Just look at the right upper corner of your PipBoy, then enter your query in the "Search" field, Hit enter and viola!

We also wish remind you that nowadays, in every house, you can find the old but good g.o.o.g.l.e which can assist you further in your search inquiries. just open-up your personal g.o.o.g.l.e and enter what-ever you wish to search with the addition of the epilogue:
site:https://rog.asus.com/forum

We @Vault-Tec, wish to state that these kind of query, returns the best answers, to most of the situations you might find yourself, during your wilderness trips, in the ASUS galaxy ( aka forums )
Thus, there is no need to mini-nuke your "opponent" ( aka opening a new thread ) as there are already better known ways to eliminate your problems ( aka searching for the issue & reading about the solution - even if they're written for other PipBoy version ( aka other laptop models) without waking the neighborly-wish-it-was-friendly-death-claw.

You might ask your self - "why should I bother" ?
Well... leaving a reply in an already opened thread, with same/similar topic, can help the ROG community by having ONE THREAD that debates same subject, instead of many many others.
That way, the ROG community will have a "library of knowledge" on same topic - IN ONE PLACE.

We also, @Vault-Tec, worked really hard to concentrate the most important, most debated subjects, and PINNED SOME OF THE THREADS AT THE START OF THE 1st PAGE of this forum.
Just for example, in the sticky thread "Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)" you can see that your issue/subject is already being debated, in details, till the last smallest of details on that matter.

We hope that in the future you'll be able to help others in the community by following the above recommendations.
As always, feel free to visit us at the ROG central forum for any future question.

Good luck & Godspeed on your journey in the Asus galaxy,
signing out,
VaultTec
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

JustinThyme
Level 13

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

maf23
Level 7
hadzimusic wrote:
I was surprised that it only showed SSD (as one partion), but I did not pay enough attention since I was rushing.

Obviously there was a problem before you formatted as you state above.