cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on fine tune overclocking voltages

rodval
Level 7
Hello all,

After reading a lot from this forum I managed to get a very good overclock on my system, but with some high voltages and surely I know I can get lower voltages and maintain the stability.

Let's get to my bios settings, using 1902 modded:

CPU i7-5930K @ 4.5GHz
Uncore @ 4.0GHz
DDR4 @ 3000MHz, Total of 64 GB

CPU Strap 125MHz
VCC Core 1,4218
VCC Uncore 1,25
VCC SA 1,3812 (I know... too high!!!!!)
CPU SVID Disabled
CPU Input 1,92
DRAM SVID Disabled
DRAM Voltage 1,415
PCH Core Voltage Auto
PCH I/O Voltage 1,5125
VCCIO CPU 1,25
VCCIO PCH 1,25
VTTDDR 0,71875
PLL Voltage Auto
PLL Offset Mode +
PLL Reference offset Auto
Spread Spectrum Disabled

Primary Timmings on RAM manual mode at 15-17-17-35-2T
DRAM Eventual Voltage 1,415
Enhanced Training Diasabled
Swizzling Bit 0/1/2 Disabled

I know that I'm giving too much juice to some components and want some advice on where to start to decrease some of theses high voltages.

Temps on AIDA Stress test get around 82C.

Thanks all
10 REPLIES 10

drop4205
Level 12
4.5 should be down round 1.25 to 1.3 vcc
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Qwinn
Level 11
Yes, SA *way* too high. Way way way WAY way way too high. More than 1.05v isn't going to help much of anything, and if it does, it's too expensive.

1.42v vcore is a bit more than I'd go for even just benchmarking, way too high for 24/7. drop4205 is correct, go for 1.25v to 1.3v.

Uncore at 1.25v is probably more than you need for 4.0, and no amount of cache OC is really worth going over 1.2v. I get 3.8Ghz with manual 1.1v. You will probably help your memory stability with up to 1.2v though... have you had issues getting 64gb to play nice?

Input voltage at 1.92 is fine. Is that with LLC on auto?

The various IO voltages I know nothing about, I leave them on auto, and unless you REALLY know what you're doing, you should too.

Aida temp of 82c is way too high. That's the max you'd want to hit with OCCT or Prime. Do NOT run OCCT or Prime until you've got those voltages into sane ranges. Aida temps should be around 65c at most. Fixing the voltages as drop and I've suggested above should get your temps to safe levels.

Pleot
Level 8
I agree with qwinn, 82 is to high for aida stress test, if those voltages are the only way to pass aida then consider less OC -

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi rodval 🙂

Couple of questions...where you say total 64GB is that more than one kit of RAM?

EDIT:OK so I see in PC specs that is two 32GB kits.

That might be why you have to apply so much voltage to get things running...certainly wont help your IMC...

Unless you are in a very niche usage case you won't need all that RAM...maybe split out one kit and see how you go with one 32GB kit...easy to do by looking at serial numbers on sticks.

I would agree with the other voices in the thread...temps and volts are a bit too high high for my liking ....for benchmarking run OK but for 24/7 OC seem like a lot. 1.3v or as near as damn it for 24/7 OC seems more sensible. Cache OC not worth the volts 24/7.

Thanks guys....

So I went back a few steps and decided to lower some of these OC.

Got core@4.4GHz stable with Adaptive Offset 0.02v and Adaptive Reference 1.26v. Uncore@3.8GHz with 1.1v fixed manual.

RAM @2666 with 1.25v and SA 1.05v. CPU Strap lowered to 100MHz. Remaining tunnings as were in my first post.

AIDA Stress test got 63.7C

P.S.: LLC is set to auto.

P.S.2: It´s a 2 x 32GB kit. Will increase RAM now and see what I got.

Qwinn
Level 11
Well, I can't argue with any of that, seeing as other than SA (mine is set to Auto), that is my 24/7 OC settings exactly, heh. I'm doing only 32gb tho. Nice work.

In fact, very very nice work if you got that fully working with mixed 32gb kits.

Give OCCT a few hours run to prove overall stability. Five to ten consecutive Realbench benchmarks is good for testing adaptive OCs. Aida alone won't really test your stability much.

Did you put all your other voltages (besides vcore, cache, input and SA) back to auto?

Hello Qwinn

Yes, it's 2 mixeds 32GB kit.

Now I'm working to get DRAM @2800 stable. Had to increase core to 0.02/1.28v and SA to 1.12. Uncore still fixed @ 1.1v.

DRAM @ 1.37 (spec is 1.35) and Switching Freq @ 300KHz.

All the remaining turnings are exactly the same on my first post.

Will try some fine tuning on PCH I/O to be able to bring down SA and jump to 2933MHz step.

Running AIDA for 2 hours, listening some good music and surfing on net. Everything appears to be fine.

After reaching top DRAM freq will start some hard test (Realbench and OCCT).

Qwinn
Level 11
I don't think 133 or even 300 Mhz memory oc is worth that extra voltage at all. On Haswell-E, even 5x that much memory OC has almost no impact at all on performance outside of some benchmarks and very niche video editing applications. If you got mixed kits working at 2666 at 64gb, you're very lucky and doing great, I would recommend not getting greedy for a tiny additional OC that really won't improve your performance at all.

Certainly, before going beyond 2666, you need to confirm that the mixed kits are truly stable with 12 sessions of HCI Memtest running at least 8 hours. If you can boot Linux you can use GSAT to stress memory as well.

Besides, until you run OCCT, you don't even know how much voltage headroom you're going to require to get truly stable. It may be more than you expect. I recommend taking the 4.4, 3.8, 2666 and sticking to it until it's fully stable. I suspect you won't have any temperature headroom left by the time you've done that. I have one of the best AIO liquid coolers on the market (360mm radiator) and those same settings get me to 81c in occt.

Pleot
Level 8
Id like to know what music you are listening , right now im looking for some titles to listen to 🙂 Any suggestions are welcome as long as they are your personal choices,