Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHEA-logger ID 17 GL552VW

drdodoo
Level 7
Event ID: 17
Source: WHEA-Logger
A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x7:0x0
Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0x340e
Class Code: 0x30400

Event ID: 17
Source: WHEA-Logger
A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x7:0x0
Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0x340e
Class Code: 0x30400

This Event Occur each 3rd minute, and make a tiny lag spike in every game, each 3 min where FPS drop down to 0 in less a sec and then run smooth again, and as told dosent matter what game i run
the next thing is google tells me its not the chipsets driver,

what ive done so far is, downloaded all driver for assus support site, nothing changed at all, ive let windows update all driver,
nothing have changed.

Ppl talks about its the wifi drivers that cause it , but when i deactivate the wifi card the problem is the same,

im now thinking its the video driver that troubles me, and the geforce experiences is laggy like hell too, sometimes its 10 mins lag ( program not respond) and then it runs up,

ive tried to re install the experience and tried to and now i just realized the experience also make some failes, any suggestion to what it could be?

I bougth the laptop the 10 Feb 2016

its brand new should not make those kind of fails constantly
14 REPLIES 14

m_evans_2007
Level 7
I have also been having the same issue with a HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/WHEA-Logger-flood-Event-ID-17/m-...
one post on here is that a user sent there laptop back and got there money back.
me personally I have had two system boards and still got the same issue, now back to HP for a third set of parts.

maf23
Level 7
I think it is the Realtek Ethernet and/or wireless drivers (which are on the PCIe port on the GL552.) I have had success getting rid of them by reinstalling the Realtek drivers (various versions), but they always come back, both in Windows 7 and Windows 10. I can go days without seeing them and then a flurry when PC is inactive.

One thing in common when these re-occur. Even though I have Windows updates turned off (Win 7) and device updates disabled in system properties, I can trace a Restore point to a Windows Critical Update applied immediately preceding the WHEA Error 17 flood every time. Happened again today even though Windows Update history shows only updates applied were MSE definitions.

I seemed to have solved this by re-installing Intel Wireless ProSet drivers, using following driver from Intel site:

Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC-7265, v.18.33.01

I have completely disabled Windows Updates at this point, as they seem to pose a greater threat to my system stability than the risk of not installing their latest 16 supposed "security" updates per month. My system files will also stop consuming wasted space for all the install/uninstall baggage associated with the updates as well.

maf23
Level 7
MSE auto-update is the reason the driver stability and the flood of WHEA-Logger errors. Critical Update auto installs and creates these Errors every Sunday morning at 3am to be precise. Only option is to re-image (System Restore does not roll-back the update). Also, after next re-boot, system is slow to boot and CPU goes to 100% (traced back to Windows Update background processes) until I force a shutdown. This is the very same behavior that destroyed my previous 2 Win7 PCs. If I want to run Prime95 in the middle of the night unsupervised, I will schedule it myself.

Edit: I also ran a MSE full system scan the previous day with manually updated definitions and did not have the same problem, and the 100% CPU is not due to the MSE service itself, but four other Windows Update processes.

maf23
Level 7
Jeesh. Windows Defender has to be disabled as well to avoid the "critical update" that starts the WHEA-Logger errors. These pesky auto updates are so annoying.

paulonomad
Level 7
Fellow Asus owner here to report that I'm also experiencing these errors, on an Asus K501UX. The notebook is less than a month in my possession, these errors have been occuring since the beginning, which also leads me to believe that it's not caused by any 'tampering' done on my end. I'm currently following the steps as posted by @maf23, though I don't know how I would go about disabling Windows Update (should I even?). If anyone should find a way to resolve these errors, a response here is much appreciated. Any word from Asus is also appreciated. I'm reading "here and there" that people suggest an RMA, which I much rather not be forced to do if it can be resolved on my own.

EDIT: After doing some more research, this issue doesn't only affect Asus computers, but also other big brands such as HP. There is a huge thread on their support forum in which fellow Asus owners have reported the issue. Most likely it affects any computer with same Intel chipsets. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/WHEA-Logger-flood-Event-ID-17/td...

It seems that nothing I have done eliminates these errors. They come and go randomly (both in Windows 7 and in Windows 10). I think he reason I was not seeing them for a while was when I shut down my PC when inactive (they seem to be more prevalent when the system is not doing anything). I can add that I can find no ill effects of the error that I can tell (WiFi does not drop out and PCMark scores are acceptable). I just know it is not normal to have a flood of these type errors in Event Viewer. The latest bios update (217) for GL552VW did nothing to solve the issue either, so whatever "microcode" was updated had nothing to do with this issue. My guess is there a lot of people that have the error but don't know it.

Also, my reason for disabling MSE had more to do with it changing my Windows Update settings and re-enabling the silent background GetWinX scans that are essentially viruses as far as I am concerned (MS solution for people who griped was just to hide the activity from the task bar, brilliant!). I have Windows 10 installed in a dual-boot set-up, MS please leave my optimized and very efficient Windows 7 partition alone.

Windows Updates cannot be disabled on Windows 10, unless you have an Enterprise (Pro?) edition. You can set to a metered internet connection and set updates to install at a time you choose (these settings are conveniently buried in Advanced Settings). I personally do not want Windows updating concurrently with other updates or as soon as I log on after a long period without creating an image first.

Well I made it over 8 hours over a Sunday night in Windows 7 without any WHEA-Logger errors.
The last change I made was to re-install the Intel Bluetooth driver. I also disabled all Autoplay defaults to "Take No Action".

Edit: Errorss are back. I will try disabling the Ethernet.

paulonomad
Level 7
From the thread I posted on the HP forums, I followed the suggestion to disable the Realtek Family Controller from device manager. From the looks of it, the flood of WHEA-logger warnings appears to have stopped (knock on wood) after doing so. I did have to reconnect to my wifi before being able to get back online. The Realtek Family controller is the LAN adapter (wired), which at the moment is not relevant to me as I'm not dependant on a wired connection (and can turn it back on if needed).

So disabling the LAN adapter 'fixes' the flood of warnings in my event log. However, it makes no sense to me why doing so would fix anything, especially since I'm always on wifi and as such don't utulize the LAN adapter (correct me if I'm wrong on the terminology, I'm not exactly a computer science major). Perhaps some further testing could help figure out what exactly causes the issue, though I'm sure the bright minds of Asus/HP/others are trying to figure this one out themselves, as it seems to be a longstanding issue for many users.

@maf23 Glad you managed to fix the issue on your end, whatever you did worked at least.