ROG Enthusiast Array

Need 30% more IPC i think

Hi folks,

Recently I've been considering building a new rig based on the 6700k, as I need more IPC due to my no-expenses-spared, heavily modified Skyrim needing a little bit more on the CPU side for the renderer (DX9 see). Currently I am running a 3960x on the R4E board, MSI 980ti clocked to 1500/3557, Gskill 2400 9-11-11-31-2t @ 2133 on account of temperamental IMC, both CPU and GPU under Kraken x61.

Today it dawned on me that i could turn 2 cores off to obtain higher clocks for my purpose, which has worked out reasonably well because my cpu hated running at over 1.4v, as now i am running 4.7ghz @ 1.37v with a happy max of 72c on the hottest core 30 minutes into a prime95 blend test, so i am settling here for now. Previiusly i had all cores enabled running at 4.4ghz 24/7 @ 1.395v with speedstep/offset on (well i still have, my cpu seems to prefer it). My game has (well at least from what i can tel from AB) gained a few fps (i mean literally 2-3, up from an average of 45 in most heavy outdoor places) and pop in of objects has decreased a bit. My real main hassle is the pop in in dense scenes and unloaded LOD items, see the game stutters/pauses as the game loads new exterior cells as the renderer has to quickly render all the items in the new cells and drop the old ones, so in a nutshell DX9 needs more ponies so i say i need more IPC I'm thinking in the range of 30% more for this game.

So my question is, as this was my first high powered rig, does anybody with experience think i will gain this from the 6700k, or am i best to wait for another? I have been eyeing off this Zen, following news and i see 40% is the target improvement from their previous gen, but wouldn't that just equal my current CPU? I jumped fence to Nvidia for video last year as Fury disappointed me, so i dont regard it highly just now with whats been said. I understand Sandy is one of the best OCers so im really having a hard time.

If anyone has any expert advice on the Sandy of mine, i'd ve much obliged, although have read much and tested much, i tend to learn something new everyday

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

dumb question: I assume you've already dealt with disk speed and have an SSD right?

Assuming you have:

I don't have any experience with the 3960x, so I can't say anything there, but I crunch numbers of sorts on a 4970k, 6700k, 5930k and 5960x (long story, don't ask) and if they are all at 4GHz with 2800MHz DDR4 (2133 DDR3 on the 4970k), the 6700k is per-core about 5-8% faster than the haswell's with 2800. Things get a little more interesting when you consider a few other things:
    1. Power/heat - the 6700k runs cooler at/above 4GHz under load. GHz for GHz, easier to cool
    2. DDR - the IMC on the 6700k has no trouble with 3000MHz + memory much better from what I've seen (running a 3400MHz kit now). Haswell is reluctant to go above 2800GHz without some coaxing
    3. PCIe lanes and micro-stutter
    I've moved my 2 Strix GTX 980's and single lightning around and unscientifically, I can tell you that despite the SLI 980 producing 100+ fps at 4k (BF4) with MSAA off vs the lightning at 75:
    a. I can tell I am playing the SLI 980 setup on the 6700 or 4970k, I get micro-stutter now and then
    b. I can't tell which CPU I am using from 4970k->5930k->5960K->6700k with a single kick-ass card
    c. I have trouble telling single vs SLI on the 59xx chips.
    d. games don't seem to care much about memor speed (though some of my number crunching an see the 6700k add 15%+ by going from 2666 to 34000

All of this is a long-winded way of saying, that the 6700K is a fast/cool chip, but the 4790k wasn't "bottlnecked" by CPU IPC, the 6700k added a smidge of performance, but I wonder if you really need 30% IPC vs faster ram, disk and newer PCIe options?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm running 3 Intel 520 SSDs so all good there. Basically the reason why I say I need 30% more IPC is because the rendering pipeline of DirectX9 has become the significant bottleneck for this one game, any other game is a breeze so far, but for Skyrim, I would happily invest in a CPU that could overcome the limit I'm at now as it is one of my favorite titles and I plan to play it for a long time. Pretty much the level I have modded this game to is unfathomable to most people, albiet it's still playable, but as I say I estimate at least 30% will smooth out the dramas I'm having now. I am physically able to see/monitor scenes where draw calls and triangle counts start bottling the CPU as the GPU takes breaks (and ENB allows me to see these statistics), and like said, dumping and ;loading of new cells in exteriors causes pauses as mass rendering has to take place, so it needs to be a bit quicker.

Also, I haven't even thought about 4K for this game yet, I'll look at that when the newer GPUs arrive, but if I could get a CPU that can do 40% better than my current CPU, I think that will seal the deal because my tests right now indicate that I need 250% more GPU power for that, whereas the CPU is showing very similar usage and rendering statistics aren't much different.

In regards to the RAM, I have noticed some FPS gains running at 2133 over 1600, but only really in this game and also the Fallout series of games that I also mod. At 2400, the rate is only slightly higher, and I have to run VTT and VCCSA at 1.3v just to get it to live a bit longer in Prime95, but usuually always it crashes. For the time that it does bott up and run, I only see 5GB/s more in ASUS PCDoctor RAM test for the data rate, whereas I'm seeing 25 or so between 1600-2133.

I have been told by someone that they got at least a noticeable 20% here with a similar setup to mine in both the game and PC, when upgrading to the 6700k. So far that is all I have to go by, it's a good start but I really don't wanna fork out for a new platform that only get me half way there. Your reply also seems to confirm this further wit the stats you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by SMB_92 View Post
    I have been told by someone that they got at least a noticeable 20% here with a similar setup to mine in both the game and PC, when upgrading to the 6700k. So far that is all I have to go by, it's a good start but I really don't wanna fork out for a new platform that only get me half way there. Your reply also seems to confirm this further wit the stats you posted.
    Re: your game in particular - ah, I see. Yeah, it can be hard to tell how much gain to expect from new processors these days. Sadly, we seem to have entered an era of targeted, incremental improvement IF you do things their way, so on and so forth. Meanwhile, I get lots of cores for few dollars and I am happy as a clam.
    Last edited by cekim; 02-17-2016 at 05:34 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Itll be nice if the 5.1ghz Xeon works out to be true. Then its just getting a hold of it.... It would also be nice if they skip Broadwell-E in favor of Skylake-E.....

Quote Originally Posted by SMB_92 View Post
    Itll be nice if the 5.1ghz Xeon works out to be true. Then its just getting a hold of it.... It would also be nice if they skip Broadwell-E in favor of Skylake-E.....
    I just wish that were an 8+ core part with a "this must have super-cereal water cooling and will dissipate 250W+" disclaimer... They already built-in thermal throttling, so all they'd have to do is make that non-overrideable and say you can only get 5.1 if you cool it (within the laws of thermodynamics of course, but given that people have seen 4.9/5 already on rare chips, it would appear that you can move that much heat out of this package).

4 cores just doesn't cut it any more. Even 8 is just teasing me. Can do some amazing stuff with quad DDR4, SSD and 10GbE these days.

Frankly, the skylake core sounds like it might have 3 legs (the latest "under load" bug is pretty scary. The work-around for something like that can be pretty painful to performance (extra wait-states, blocking, disabling optimizations, etc...)

Don't know if that is a latent bug in broadwell or if maybe it was an easy fix though. Time will tell.
    Last edited by cekim; 02-18-2016 at 06:18 PM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

I'm not sure that would increase performance in the order of magnitude you would like...sure the 6700K is single thread/core faster clock for clock but taking into account your OC etc...

You'd have to ask around to see if someone running similar mods is getting that much more performance...

Instead of turning off two cores you could run them but at different multiplier...there is that option in BIOS. Having them active but lower level might help with core scheduling etc?

There are ini file tweaks floating around http://www.overclock.net/t/1453302/s...#post_21446643 claiming to use more cores though some say they work and others that they cause more instability....