cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501 Clean Install of Windows 10

bima1997
Level 7
Hi there, i'm new in this forum 😄

I want to ask about clean installation on my G501 laptop. Is it possible to perform a clean install of Windows 10 without losing a recovery data that allows me to roll back to factory condition (Windows 8.1)? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
6 REPLIES 6

bima1997
Level 7
Anyone??? It's urgent now 😞

Make an image of your drive including the factory restore partition . Then clean install. Remember that if you are going for the free upgrade to Windows 10 then you automatically give up your rights to the previous version of Windows. Microsoft stores this info when it checks you are entitled to the free upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and there is no way I would want to go back to it. If you upgrade rather than clean install then you have thirty days to decide to roll back using the built in procedure. After that the windowsold directory is removed.

sneakybeaky wrote:
Make an image of your drive including the factory restore partition . Then clean install. Remember that if you are going for the free upgrade to Windows 10 then you automatically give up your rights to the previous version of Windows. Microsoft stores this info when it checks you are entitled to the free upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and there is no way I would want to go back to it. If you upgrade rather than clean install then you have thirty days to decide to roll back using the built in procedure. After that the windowsold directory is removed.

Thanks a lot, sneakybeaky 🙂

Wait. so i checked my partitions and it's look like this
Is it safe to do clean install without making an image for my drive? I don't want to lose my factory data. Thanks in advance

sneakybeaky
Level 7
People who have gone down this route have reported that their recovery partition no longer works after a Windows 10 clean install. So yes, if you really want the ability to restore a previous version of Windows then image the drive first. However, as I have already explained, to claim the free upgrade to Windows 10 you give up the rights to the previous Windows edition and reinstalling the earlier version of Windows may not work as the Windows key may longer be accepted. Windows 10 is keyed into the machine and recorded in Microsoft's records.

Many thanks, sneakybeaky! 😄