cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552JX Battery life question

tomugetsu
Level 7
Hi . I'm currently using the GL552JX . I just want to ask if playing while the battery is on will decrease the life span of my battery ? I'm worried because as far as what I have learned, hot temperatures is a battery's worst enemy. when we play , we all know that the blower in the side of the laptop will blow hot air , or even the laptop will get a little hot , i think . so my only concern is that , is it safe to play games , a high end one , with the battery on and charging ?
8 REPLIES 8

warryabel
Level 7
in g751 battery is not removeable my wear level is atm. 14,7 % i hate dont removeable batterys...

andreacos92
Level 9
+1 on battery wear if it's non removeable. I'm at 34% wear after almost 1 year of usage (and I never played on battery only).

But I have to say that the battery will help the AC adapter if high wattage is requested.
In an heavy gaming session with Project Cars maxed out without v-sync my battery went from 90% to 70% because the PC requested more than the 230W supplied by the AC adapter. However I have an overclocked/overvolted GPU and raised power limits on both CPU and GPU.
With stock values/clock this shouldn't happen.

NitroX
Level 10
Well, as opposed to Warryable and Andreasco I also have my G751JY for 1 year and something, but I'm currently at 6% wear level with my battery. I've used it 99% of the time plugged in so maybe this is the reason. So, from my point of view, there shouldn't be any issues with keeping the battery inside if you're going to use it on AC most of the time.
My recommendation is to use the battery only when really necessary.

NitroX wrote:
Well, as opposed to Warryable and Andreasco I also have my G751JY for 1 year and something, but I'm currently at 6% wear level with my battery. I've used it 99% of the time plugged in so maybe this is the reason. So, from my point of view, there shouldn't be any issues with keeping the battery inside if you're going to use it on AC most of the time.

what do you mean by that ? you meant using the battery alone without the AC adapter ?

tomugetsu wrote:
what do you mean by that ? you meant using the battery alone without the AC adapter ?

It's quite the opposite of what I said O_o. I said that your battery should be fine if you are going to use the laptop most of the time on AC power. Using the notebook on battery will make the battery degrade faster (which is kind of logical). Therefore, you should only use your notebook on battery power only when you really need the portability (like when you are in the car, or plane or in a classroom without an electrical outlet near you).

NitroX wrote:
It's quite the opposite of what I said O_o. I said that your battery should be fine if you are going to use the laptop most of the time on AC power. Using the notebook on battery will make the battery degrade faster (which is kind of logical). Therefore, you should only use your notebook on battery power only when you really need the portability (like when you are in the car, or plane or in a classroom without an electrical outlet near you).

okay , I understand now but I just want to clarify some things . what are the things that makes the battery degrade ? because most of the time , I play for long hours in my laptop and I'm worried if the heat emitted while playing games will be a factor in degrading a battery.

tomugetsu wrote:
okay , I understand now but I just want to clarify some things . what are the things that makes the battery degrade ? because most of the time , I play for long hours in my laptop and I'm worried if the heat emitted while playing games will be a factor in degrading a battery.

Well, heat is a degradation factor for these batteries for sure.
But your GL552 has the exhaust port on the left, and the heatsink assembly isn't so close to the battery, so I don't think your battery will reach really high temps during gaming.

However, your battery is removeable. So if you want, you can remove it during long gaming sessions, you have the choice 🙂

NitroX wrote:

Yep, but my laptop is on AC for most the time too, I use it like a desktop replacement. And, as said, the few times I use it on battery, is only with light usage (surfing on web or listerning to music).
In my case, it's a faulty battery for sure.

p.s. my nick is andreaCOS, not andreaSCO. I noticed that you always wrote it wrong, maybe you didn't read it correctly 😛

aman_pitbull
Level 7
tomugetsu wrote:
Hi . I'm currently using the GL552JX . I just want to ask if playing while the battery is on will decrease the life span of my battery ? I'm worried because as far as what I have learned, hot temperatures is a battery's worst enemy. when we play , we all know that the blower in the side of the laptop will blow hot air , or even the laptop will get a little hot , i think . so my only concern is that , is it safe to play games , a high end one , with the battery on and charging ?

He's talking about GL552JX which has a user removable battery and is not the same as G552 that is sold in the US. The battery in GL552JX uses cheaper cells. I used my laptop for 1.5yrs and the wear is 20.2%.

The laptop and GPU HSF heat up a lot, 2 of the screws near the CPU socket got un-soldered due to the heat I think, I realized this when I saw the CPU throttling as soon as I booted up. Had to install a screw and nut across the hole to make it work again ! The downtime due to Asus RMA is huge.

I'm looking for a higher capacity battery too, does Asus or any other 3rd party reliable seller sell 8-Cell or a higher capacity battery than what was supplied by Asus ?