cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula Z FX 9590 Build Randomly Locking up

PntBlnkAD
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I've been fighting this freezing issue with my pc for two weeks and I still have nothing. Due to a failed overclock attempt (puff of smoke) I had to rebuild my PC. I initially replaced the motherboard (same model), upgraded the CPU from a FX 8350 to a FX 9590 and picked up a second video card. Since I rebuilt the computer, it would lock up at random intervals. I was able to install windows 10 after several attempts but the locks ups still persisted. I've now replaced the power supply from a Seasonic 800W to an EVGA 1600W, my cooling system from a Corsair H100i to a Thermaltake Water 3.0, and my RAM from AMD Radeon Gamer series to GSkill Trident X memory. Each time I changed a part the outcome didn't change. The computer locks up anywhere between immediately and ~40 minutes.

I've done the following to no avail:

Part testing:

- Unnplugged each of the hard drives, tried have one plugged in at a time as well
- Memtest86+ (Always freezes at some point), with my old memory as well. Old memory works in another machine though.
- Tried only having the Keyboard, video, and power connected
- Tried one video card at a time

Motherboard testing:

- Plugged in 4-pin and EZ-pin along with 8 pin power ports (Still connected)
- Disabled Cool N' Quiet, C1 and C6 states
- Underclocked the CPU to 4.5 and 4.2 GHz
- Manual memory clock settings

I've run out of parts to replace and regardless of what I do the system locks up. If left in the BIOS it will lock up. It doens't even last 30 minutes. Temps at idle are 40 C which is a little warm but it is my understanding that the processor runs hot as well. Right now optimized defaults are set in the BIOS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Current Build:

CPU: Amd FD9590FHHKWOF Fx-9590
Cooling: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO Enthusiast Liquid Cooling System CPU Cooler CL-W007-PL12BL-A
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
RAM: 2x G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz TridentX Series CL10 (10-12-12-31) Dual Channel kit (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 220-T2-1600-X1
SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE1T0BW)
HDD: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX
Video Card 1: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X OC Version 11226-17-20G
Video Card 2: Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 290X 8GB 11226-11-40G
Case: Cooler Master HAF X
12 REPLIES 12

IMweasel
Level 7
Make sure that airflow is going over the VRM heatsinks,and mount a fan on the back of the board to cool the VRM's extra. It definately helps to maintain stability under load.
Make sure that all extra power sockets are populated. The 8-pin, 4-pin, both at the top of the board. And the molex 4 pin socket, middle/left side of the board.
Make sure the 'slow mode' button is set to 'off' (and LN2 jumper also)...Top right side of board.

Enter BIOS and hit F5 to revert to default settings. Set it up like this;and don't touch any other voltages and/or power saving settings.

[Extreme Tweaker]
Enable AMD Turbo Core Technology
Set it's multiplier to 23.5
Disable AMD Turbo Core Technology

[Digi+]
Load Line Calibration: Regular (yes, the 9590 @ 4.7 is stable at this lowest setting)
Current Capability: 100%
CPU Power Phase Control: Extreme
Switching Frequency: Manual
VRM FFM: 300
CPU Power Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Power Response: Medium

[Advanced->North Bridge->Memory configuration]
Disable ECC

[Tool->Asus SPD information]
Take note of the profile you want to run your memory at. Write down first seven values,and the last one (CR)

[Extreme Tweaker]
Manually choose the memory frequency.
Enter the Dram voltage that goes with the profile. (more towards bottom of page)

[Dram Timing Control]
Manually enter the first four timings,and at the bottom set the Command Rate.

Don't change any other frequencies or voltages.
Thoroughly test your system, like 24h of IBT on Maximum.
If it succeeds, store a profile in your BIOS profile page and call it 'stable'
Move on from here if you want to make any other changes in BIOS. Repeat the stress test after changing stuff! Should it fail, revert to your 'stable' profile.

IMweasel
Level 7
Make sure that airflow is going over the VRM heatsinks,and mount a fan on the back of the board to cool the VRM's extra. It definately helps to maintain stability under load.
Make sure that all extra power sockets are populated. The 8-pin, 4-pin, both at the top of the board. And the molex 4 pin socket, middle/left side of the board.
Make sure the 'slow mode' button is set to 'off' (and LN2 jumper also)...Top right side of board.

Enter BIOS and hit F5 to revert to default settings. Reboot.
Enter BIOS and set it up like this;and don't touch any unmentioned voltages or frequencies. No need to set manual LLC values.

[Extreme Tweaker]
Enable AMD Turbo Core Technology
Set it's multiplier to 23.5
Disable AMD Turbo Core Technology

Enable EPU
Set EPU to Auto

[Advanced] [CPU configuration]
Disable APM
Disable Core C6
Always Enable CNQ
C1e should be disabled already

[Tool->Asus SPD information]
Take note of the profile you want to run your memory at. Write down first seven values,and the last one (CR)

[Extreme Tweaker]
Manually choose the memory frequency. (No DOCP)
Enter the Dram voltage that goes with the profile. (more towards bottom of page)
Reboot

Enter BIOS
[Dram Timing Control]
Manually enter the first four timings,and at the bottom set the Command Rate.
Reboot

Thoroughly test your system, like 24h of IBT on Maximum.
Should you encounter instability, go to BIOS and set the following value and retry;
[Digi+]
CPU Power Phase;Extreme

IMweasel
Level 7
I´m currently preferring the second setup ATM!

IMweasel wrote:
I´m currently preferring the second setup ATM!

Thanks for the reply. The power ports are populated. there is plenty airflow in the case (1 fan in the back, 1 in the front, I directly across from the VRM heatsinks and three on top from the water cooler none smaller that 80mm). I don't have a spare fan to mount to the back of the motherboard but I did point my house fan/air filter at it.

As for the BIOS setting I am currently following the second setup.

It's still freezing. My CPU core temp is below 40 degrees C but I'm assuming that's because of the air filter. The heatsink to the VRAM is by far the warmest thing in my rig. I've looked up what some people are doing for cooling and I'd like to be able to close my rig up. Should I try to mount a fan directly over the heatsinks inside the case? If so, what size, how many and what direction should I point it in?

IMweasel
Level 7
Well lets try it like this; IBT stress test it for a while on max setting...
Can you touch the area on the back of the board where the VRM's are located? Without it hurting of the area being too hot? Or almost painful?
(make sure your hands are clean and discharge yourself first)

edit; Disable ECC?

IMweasel wrote:
Well lets try it like this; IBT stress test it for a while on max setting...
Can you touch the area on the back of the board where the VRM's are located? Without it hurting of the area being too hot? Or almost painful?
(make sure your hands are clean and discharge yourself first)

edit; Disable ECC?

ECC is disabled. I was able to run IBT for 18 minutes until the comp froze. There is a metal strip on the back of the board where the VRM is located. It was to hot to hold on to for more than 3 secs.

IMweasel
Level 7
Sure you didn't touch anything else unmentioned?

Tune the EPU a bit, try all other settings besides auto.

If you cannot hold certain parts because of the temperature,it's safe to say that part it too hot. pain limit is somewhere near 60 degrees celsius (140F)
And the boards internal mechanism guards it at about 55 degrees/131F. See if you can cool it down!

IMweasel wrote:
Sure you didn't touch anything else unmentioned?

Tune the EPU a bit, try all other settings besides auto.

If you cannot hold certain parts because of the temperature,it's safe to say that part it too hot. pain limit is somewhere near 60 degrees celsius (140F)
And the boards internal mechanism guards it at about 55 degrees/131F. See if you can cool it down!

I'm not sure what you meant by tune the EPU, but I did purchase a fan solely for the VRM heatsink (Antec SpotCool System Cooler) I have it set on high and though it's not as hot as it used to be my machine is still locking up. I've only changed the BIOS settings mentioned in your earlier post. I also got a GSkill Turbulence III Cooler for my RAM. No changes. Is the mobo defective?

IMweasel
Level 7
Hi, when enabling the EPU in BIOS, you should try all it´s sub-options. Min/med/max power saving.
it´s about enabling the energy processing unit in various ways,to see if less power on the vrm´s helps.
You might be reluctant to, but for testing,could you install the AI suite? Just the EPU software would be enough. In the EPU software set it to max power saving and run IBT again, see if you still have lockups.
The CPU only needs 15 watts set up like that, i wonder how your system behaves then.