cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead CPU warrant motherboard RMA?

iamacow
Level 7
So I bought the R4BE back in july and swapped from the P9X79 WS ( after 3 years) for more sata ports and NVMe support. Everything was working fine until last week when I decided to swap cases. After booting up with all the same components I just got the Error Code 00 and the CPU LED on. After checking all the parts and wires it proceeded to do the same thing. I did everything I could think of and than swapped the chip (i7 3930k) back into the old board. which gave the same error. I concluded it was a bad chip. Because with the same ram, psu, video card I was able to use the old X79 WS with a Xeon chip just fine.

So my question is, does a dead cpu warrant an RMA? It was running at stock speed before I did the swap. No damage to the socket, plus I didn't remove the cpu until after the issue to re-seat it. I can only conclude either it was extremely unlucky the chip died or the motherboard killed the chip. This is my first CPU i've ever had died in 15 years of computer building. Heck I even have a P2 laying around that works. Even if I had another cpu to try it out with (The Xeon is not supported) I wouldn't. After doing a bit of reading some people have killed multiple cpus trying to determine if its the motherboard. I dont have the $$ to do that.

I'm willing to go though the hoops again if it means I can RMA this board.
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hello iamacow

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Code 00 usually means a dead cpu or faulty motherboard. It sounds to me like the cpu died since your motherboard works with a xeon cpu.

All boxed processors from Intel have a three year warranty from the date of purchase so if you're still covered, get with Intel immediately.

unfortunately I got the i7 when it first came out. So its been over 3 years. Lasted a while...

Do you think Asus will accept an RMA?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello iamacow

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Code 00 usually means a dead cpu or faulty motherboard. It sounds to me like the cpu died since your motherboard works with a xeon cpu.

All boxed processors from Intel have a three year warranty from the date of purchase so if you're still covered, get with Intel immediately.

Why you give your opinion when your suppose to be helping people here! OO code is a corrupted BIOS nothing more. You'll need to do a blind flash, dude probably went n bought a new computer 9k posts you know nothing.....

Here's a link for people who get Q code OO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-zGV8SLho
Asus X79 DELUXE
3930K WATER
2X Intel 520 Raid o
2X GTX 780ti DCII OC WATER
16 GB G skill 2133
Corsiar AX1200
Acer 24" 1080
Swiftech MCP655 Vari
HWlabs 3/120
Asus DVD

BLIND BIOS FLASH LINK http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12749-RIVE-BIOS-FlashBack

jaggerwild wrote:
Why you give your opinion when your suppose to be helping people here!

:confused:

No one is supposed to be helping anybody here...except for ASUS employees and they are scarce..

Users may choose to support other users and give their opinions. Troubleshooting from half a world away is not an exact science and yet people like Nate have a huge hit rate.

Have you read the OP?

iamacow wrote:
I did everything I could think of and than swapped the chip (i7 3930k) back into the old board. which gave the same error. I concluded it was a bad chip. Because with the same ram, psu, video card I was able to use the old X79 WS with a Xeon chip just fine.

This suggests more than BIOS problems

jaggerwild wrote:
9k posts you know nothing.....

That's 9K posts of help and guidance...Nate has probably forgotten more than most will ever know

Got something to contribute? Different idea?...by all means do share it but I'd suggest the forum would be a much better place without the previous type of post...

If it was just a 00 Code I would dive a little deeper. I ended up swapping motherboards and PSU I had laying around. Same problem. CPU Led comes on and 00 Code. Its a dead CPU. Its strange just by moving to another case would kill it, but i've seen stranger things in 15 years of computer building. I was mainly concerned Asus wouldn't take RMA because of a dead CPU. Gonna file for it tonight...

Thanks for the help! I really was hoping it was something I overlooked. Just bad luck, though I suspect the motherboard has something to do with it because I cannot believe it would die on its own. Not the way I handle my stuff.

jaggerwild wrote:
Why you give your opinion when your suppose to be helping people here! OO code is a corrupted BIOS nothing more. You'll need to do a blind flash, dude probably went n bought a new computer 9k posts you know nothing.....

I don't get why you would post this kind of message. Nate knows his stuff and he's a extremely respected member of the ROG community and regarding the 00 qcode error is not always to do with corrupt BIOS...I've been selling computer systems for over 12 years and I've come across the 00 qcode error quite a few times. I shared my experience in another thread that one time it had to do with the power supply and series of steps before I got the board to stop showing this damn error. Just recently on a newer board, I got the same error and I did everything and couldn't fix it and was ready to RMA the board and to my surprise it was actually the CPU as I opened up another i7-6700K and swapped it in and the error was gone. Sent back the CPU and replacement is on its way.

jaggerwild wrote:

Hello

Q-Code 00 immediately at startup and no other codes is most always a faulty CPU or VRM power delivery. So much for opinions.

Nate152
Asus warranty's their motherboards for three years too if it's under warranty yes.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
iamacow wrote:
I did everything I could think of

Just to make sure...I am presuming when you say this you have swapped over between BIOS chips and even tried to flash a new BIOS on chip 1 that sort of thing.

Cleared CMOS of course

Have you inspected the chip? All the mini capacitors/resistors on the bottom in place?