cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback about my New GL552JX purchase and is the wireless card replacable?

Ton4
Level 7
Hi,

There are quite a lot of types of ROG laptops, confusingly many. I settled on a GL552JX type DM356D, with a i-7 4750HQ. I has less mhz than the 4720, but similar performance, I guessed. (and a newer Intel HD graphics, Iris 5200) Put in 2 sticks 8gb Corsair DDR3L and a SATA 850 evo Samsung SSD instead of the 1tb HD.

To my pleasant surprise the i7-4750HQ was overclockable, it now runs stabile at 3,4ghz (single core) with Intel XTU, and the extra bump is nice. Samsung Magician and MSI afterburner gave some more kicks here and there.

I still have the m.2 slot empty and I searched the Internets to find out if an extra m.2 850 evo in that slot could be in RAID with the 850 in the SATA slot. Did not find anything. I also did not find anything in the BIOS (upgraded to 209) . If anyone...

Installed Windows 10 with the help of the guide on this forum, thanks.

A disappointment was the Qualcomm AR965x Wireless adapter. It only connects single band at 2.4ghz, 72Mbps. My mobile phone connects at 433Mbps on 5ghz. (NETGEAR ac, with ASUS-WRT) Is this thing replaceable?

thanks for letting me in... :cool:
6 REPLIES 6

Ton4
Level 7
Ok, I think I can answer my own question, for a part...

I have now two SSD's , one 500GB M.2 850 EVO and one "normal" 500GB 850 EVO, and no RAID options show in the BIOS (209).

Laptop works fine, only thing is that shutting down not always works. (Win10,fastboot) . Screen goes dark, but power button remains on. Don't think its hardware, as my other similar laptop also sometimes has it. And its intermittent.

Have re-enable XTU settings in the case the shut-down was forced, and XTU reports its crashed.

Check Power Options and disable Sleep/Hiibernate for all devices and functions.

maf23 wrote:
Check Power Options and disable Sleep/Hiibernate for all devices and functions.

Went into device manager, disabled all "sleep options" for all devices that had it. Seems to work.

Thanks!

It didn't work. Still hanging, does'nt shut down completely.

So. disabled fast-boot. Starts just as fast, I think. :cool:

With an SSD drive there is no point to Fast-Boot, sleep or hibernate. Just stuff in Win10 to accommodate portable devices to save power.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I've disabled fast boot on mine too mostly to save unnecessary writes to the SSD. Every time you shut down it dumps the kernel that is loaded into the ram and all the drivers to a file on the SSD Then pulls them back off on boot. I've not really payed much attention to exactly what the difference in time is bit can tell you that with it disabled I'm at log in at the 18 second mark. Fine for spinners but not necessary for SSDs. I also don't use sleep or hibernate. The other thing is with fast boot enabled you don't get the complete shutdown that is needed when uninstalling devices and updating drivers as what was there when you shut down is what's going to load on the restart.

Yes you can replace the wireless card with any half PCIe wireless card.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein