cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus maximus 7 motherboard warranty concerns

Ark-07
Level 7
To whom it may concern

My place of purchase refused to swap my motherboard for a new one after I had system freezes and failed boots with error code 55 which means no ram and the first two ram slots on the motherboard didn't work properly. They told me that the motherboard had bent the pins so I have to fork out another $400 for a new one, apparently Asus will not replace it because of that. :mad: I not a idiot who would bend he's pin I have been building my own pc's for years this motherboard came with scratches on it also on the Asus maximus 7 led part, they knew they sold me this motherboard after someone else returned it and got away with the bent pins, further more the bios settings on initial setup had the voltages customly made, DDR4 ram @ 1.5 when stock ram setting are 1.35v at max. I know I cant prove it beyond mentioning it. However when replacing my cpu and ram I had no issues with the seller. This is my first taste of using a asus product coming from another brand I had been loyal too for over 10 years, I would lying if I said I have no regrets about changing and trying asus as I'm also considering that maybe the motherboard was made in this bad condition.

I never noticed the the bent pins before the **** computers guy today pointed it out saying it will take 6 weeks if they fix it. He mentioned I would be charged when I know it wasn't me who bent the pins. I use my PC for online studies and gaming to keep myself busy. I've failed my studies as is I'm 2 weeks behind with no attendance because of this problem and I'm not rich, I'm a student so I've had to starve myself to save enough money for a new motherboard after this problem. I tried going to another store of the same company same response expect the manager their told me it would cost me $55 australian dollars to get it fixed, I wonder why the person at the other store didn't mention this, would be great if someone from asus australia could verify this information.

How can I get asus to fix this problem? Short of contacting consumer fair trading and going to them directly? Incase people are wondering I'm using a ipad to post this issue.
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hello Ark-07

Welcome to the ROG forum and sorry to hear you are having issues with your new motherboard. You are correct in saying Asus will not replace the motherboard due to bent cpu socket pins as bent socket pins is user error. What I would like to know is if you purchased the motherboard brand spanking new or second hand.

if you bought it brand new in an unopened box I can guarantee you it didn't come with scratches and bent pins. I recently got the maximus viii formula and it came in pristine condition, they always put a protective plastic cover over the socket to prevent any damage to the cpu socket.

if you bought the board used then you need to take it up with the store you bought it from and they will more than likely fuss about it just like Asus.

Did you buy your motherboard used or new?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Ark-07

Welcome to the ROG forum and sorry to hear you are having issues with your new motherboard. You are correct in saying Asus will not replace the motherboard due to bent cpu socket pins as bent socket pins is user error. What I would like to know is if you purchased the motherboard brand spanking new or second hand.

if you bought it brand new in an unopened box I can guarantee you it didn't come with scratches and bent pins. I recently got the maximus viii formula and it came in pristine condition, they always put a protective plastic cover over the socket to prevent any damage to the cpu socket.

if you bought the board used then you need to take it up with the store you bought it from and they will more than likely fuss about it just like Asus.

Did you buy your motherboard used or new?

Bought it brand new the store refuses to take responsibility, the plastic covers you mention are all there including the bent pins and scratches this is getting to the stage where consumer fair trading will be needed, I would like to see a 100% guarantee that faulty motherboards in terms of cpu socks and scratches never happen.

Nate152
What gets me is you say you had it up and running and then all of sudden you have bent cpu socket pins. I don't see how it can be running one minute then have bent socket pins the next.

I'm trying to put 2+2 together.

How many socket pins are bent? If there are only a couple you can fix it yourself with good light, a steady hand, a magnifying glass and a wooden toothpick.

Nate152 wrote:
What gets me is you say you had it up and running and then all of sudden you have bent cpu socket pins. I don't see how it can be running one minute then have bent socket pins the next.

I'm trying to put 2+2 together.

How many socket pins are bent? If there are only a couple you can fix it yourself with good light, a steady hand, a magnifying glass and a wooden toothpick.

The system boots and crashes when under load I refuse to touch the pins. After 10 minutes or so it completely freezes showing error code 55 on the motherboard after that the system will no boot unless you remove the ram and power for 30 minutes or so. It will boot in single channel if the slots A2 and B2 are used but in single channel not dual, I also consider the ram slots to be really loose. This has been the condition even after the cpu and ram have been replaced, I did manage to get the system to live long enough for a hard drive test also, prime95 test also failed due to freezing. This has been like this from the start.

Nate152
With your ram in slots A2 B2 your ram is running in dual channel and are the recommended slots.

If you have a working pc there can only be a couple bent pins, I've seen people here straighten bent cpu socket pins with success. You could inspect the cpu socket with a magnifying glass to see how many are bent. They're not difficult to straighten but it does take a good eye and a steady hand to not damage the other pins.

I don't know what else to tell you, a jeweler could probably fix it for you too and maybe for cheaper if you don't feel comfortable attempting it yourself.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

As I already wrote to you at OCN this has nothing to do with ASUS and posting here will not change that fact. Physical damage to the motherboard is not covered by any ASUS provided warranty. Either continue this discussion with your place of purchase or submit a RMA to ASUS inquiring the exact cost of having the CPU socket replaced.

Praz wrote:
Hello

As I already wrote to you at OCN this has nothing to do with ASUS and posting here will not change that fact. Physical damage to the motherboard is not covered by any ASUS provided warranty. Either continue this discussion with your place of purchase or submit a RMA to ASUS inquiring the exact cost of having the CPU socket replaced.

If you've paid any attention to why I'm doing what I'm doing its because I have every intention to hold asus responsible, as this is a asus forum I want someone from asus to respond to me so I can use what's said in legal action if required. First time buying asus and this happens, as result my father is more then for me to use the family lawyer and contact consumer related companies about this matter. I'm taking this very seriously, I refuse to let the hard earned dollars I worked for basically be taken from me, I'm located in sydney australia I look forward to a official response.

This is pretty simple: you bought a board that either had bent pins or improperly installed the CPU which bent the pins. If you feel your installation was proper and can prove it somehow, then your only recourse will be with your place of purchase. The problem there is that you went ahead and installed a CPU into a socket with bent pins saying you "never noticed the bent pins". That right the is you admitting there was no visible defect. Anyway, if you are still adamant someone other than yourself is responsible you need to contact your place of purchase as they sold you the product. If they refuse to meet your demands go to your credit card company and ask about purchase guarantee terms in your card agreement.

Personally, I would have inspected what I bought and installed carefully. That is called taking responsibility and I recommend exploring it.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

As I also wrote to you at OCN you need to contact ASUS support for your location at ASUS.com. This forum is not the proper venue for your situation. As such this thread is closed.