cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot time on new Skylake desktop build (Asus Z170M - fastboot not working?)

vlatko27
Level 7
What boot time should be expected with this setup; i7 6700, Asus Z170M-Plus D4, Corsair 8GB DDR 4 2400 C14, Raider S PSU 550W,80+ SILVER, Samsung SSD 850 Evo?

I've done a UEFI fresh install of Windows 10(this is my friend's new PC). BIOS settings are on optimized defaults with fastboot enabled, UEFI first, MRC Fast Boost -> [Enabled], MCH Full Check -> [Disabled]. Best time we get after pressing the power button is around 14 seconds. That's not too bad but I feel BIOS is slowing down the boot time(windows loads in like 5,6 seconds). Any other settings I can enable or disable? BIOS is the latest ver 0701. I tried even disabling fast boot and it's absolutelly the same, as if fast boot isn't working.

For comparison sake, my Asus ROG G771JW laptop with i7 4720HQ, with the same 850 EVO SSD, boots at 7,5 seconds to windows login screen after pressing the power button.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello vlatko27

z170 takes a little more time to boot because of DDR4 memory training, you can disable the 3 second ROG logo on the boot tab if you wish.

Your boot time seems about right, double check you have the 850 evo connected to an intel sata port.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello vlatko27

z170 takes a little more time to boot because of DDR4 memory training, you can disable the 3 second ROG logo on the boot tab if you wish.

Your boot time seems about right, double check you have the 850 evo connected to an intel sata port.

Thank you for the reply Nate. I've already set the logo timeout to 0.

Re; memory training; I should disable MRC Fast Boost and enable MCH Full Check, right? If I do that, the boot time increases by a few seconds.

The SSD is connected to the first Sata express port and the hdd on the second. I've tried it on non-express ports as well, no difference.

Chino
Level 15

I've recently replaced my aging desktop, a 10 year old Dell Dimension 9150, with a new i7-6600k running on an ASUS M8 Hero Alpha board. I'm pretty un-impressed with the boot times as I was hoping to achieve under 10 seconds to the Windows desktop! My system specs are...

• Mobo: M8 Hero Alpha
  • CPU: i7-6600k
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
  • OS Drive: 256GB Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Data Drive: 960GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD
  • Backup Drive: 240GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD
  • GFX: Zotac GTX 980ti AMP!
  • PSU: Corsair Hx1200i (1200W)
  • Cooling: XSPC Raystorm Pro, Ex420 + RX 240 rads and Dual D5 Laing Pump/Res Combi
  • ROG Front Base

With lots of playing in the BIOS I can boot to the Desktop in approximately 15 seconds. BUT, it appears that from pressing the power button to seeing the first item appear on the screen takes 7 seconds. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on in this time? Windows task manager reports the "Last BIOS Time" as 8.6 seconds. And the actual Windows logo only flashes for a couple of seconds after switching from the ROG boot screen, so I'm at a loss as to what could be taking the rest of the time? With default BIOS settings I started with "Last BIOS Time" values of 18.2s, so I've made great headway with the tweaks in the BIOS. But now I am wondering if it has anything to do with my monitor/gfx card because there is a notable delay before the screen kicks in?

Despite my comments above, I should say that I'm really impressed with my new system. It's the first water cooled build I've ever done and has been awesome fun! I'm just waiting for some bits to arrive to add accent lighting inside my case and then hope to post some pictures on the forum. 🙂

Chino
Level 15
As Nate mentioned earlier, the memory training for DDR4 takes significantly more time than DDR3. Some users disable training to gain a few seconds. Personally I advise against it.