cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ Blue Screen with graphics issues

SonicImaging
Level 7
Hi, I have a RMA setup with ASUS to return my laptop but Id figure I would check in here to make sure 100% its not a hardware issue. They gave me a estimate of around $850.00 to repair my laptop which to me is way to much. Its about a month out of the 1 year warranty. I know its an estimate but if its a hardware issue the only option is to have the motherboard replaced which is going to be to expensive for me right now. Plus I can purchase a pretty decent laptop for 850 now.

I've gone through all of the blue screen threads and followed the instructions trying different drivers, doing a factory reset, reinstalling windows etc changing power settings, changing recommended settings for both the Nvidia and Intel graphics cards etc.

It all seemed to start in December where I was receiving the display driver stopped responding randomly during the day. it would recover I would reboot and it would be fine for a while. This started happening more and more into January.

Then the system started locking up, getting the following blue screens. When this started the fans would go on full blast. If I pulled up the device manager the nvidia graphics would not show up and the nvidia selection in the toolbar would not be there. Restarting didn't help. If I shut down the system and restarted it would be fine for a while.

Here are the blue screens I started getting. I just started getting this when I was going to box up the computer for the RMA last night but I figured I would give this one last try, before I decide to send it in or not.
VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Right now the system will either lock the cursor, give me either of the above blue screens, most of the time the fans will go on full blast with the exception of when the cursor locks up. This ends up happening within a few minutes of booting the system. Its always happened after the desktop has loaded (I left it on the login screen for a few hours and it never happened). Its also happened when re-installing windows 10 during the setup.

I did have program running to see the temps which were normal even when the fans came on at full blast.

Most of the threads I found about this issue seemed to stop so im assuming most people have worked out this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help. This laptop worked great for the 1st year.
-Keith
6 REPLIES 6

redduc900
Level 9
I know you mentioned performing a factory reset (assuming from the F9 options menu), but have you tried restoring not only Win8.1 but also rebuilding the partitions using Backtracker from a thumb drive?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-ASUS-Backtracker-and-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win...
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

redduc900 wrote:
I know you mentioned performing a factory reset (assuming from the F9 options menu), but have you tried restoring not only Win8.1 but also rebuilding the partitions using Backtracker from a thumb drive?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-ASUS-Backtracker-and-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win...

Yes, the 1st time I restored to factory was with the thumb drive I created when I first got the notebook but has the same problem. The 2nd time I did it using windows recovery. I tried again using the thumb drive but all I get is a message that it cannot continue.

I deleted all the partitions then tried it again with asus backtracker and all it says is it cant continue so right now its on windows 10 that I did a clean install.

redduc900
Level 9

redduc900
Level 9
When you deleted the partitions, did you also remove the recovery partitions? Did it come w/ 2 x SSDs in RAID 0 and a 1 TB HDD? And when you used Backtracker the first time, this was before you modified the partitions?

redduc900 wrote:
When you deleted the partitions, did you also remove the recovery partitions? Did it come w/ 2 x SSDs in RAID 0 and a 1 TB HDD? And when you used Backtracker the first time, this was before you modified the partitions?

I deleted the recovery partitions yesterday after i got the RMA, figured id go for it one last time. So the first time I used backtracker to go back to win 8.1 the recovery partitions were there same as when I tried the win 10 recovery back to factory which got me back to factory ok the 1st time. Now when I try backtracker I get the can continue message when it starts and win 10 will only reset and I dont even see the option to do a factory reset.

Yes the system has 2 256g ssd's arrayed and a single 1tb hdd.

Right now I installed windows 8.1 from a disk I had, plus I downloaded all of the win 8.1 asus drivers and put them on a cd. The fans kept coming up full blast during the install but I got it installed and just starting updating the 8.1 asus drivers, which ill update one at a time and see if the problem comes back.

I did just install the intel chipset drivers with the 8.1 nvidia and intel drivers and its been sitting for about 15 minutes without the fans coming up or the blue screen. I also set the prefered video to the nvidia, so Ill see where this gets me.

Im going to clone the drive next then see if I can get to win 10. at least ill be able to restore back and keep trying

Well, Everything else I tried always comes back with the same issue. Definitely looking like a hardware problem so im getting it ready to ship back.

Yesterday I pulled the keyboard out to pull the CMOS battery and clean the fans. After I put it back together the fan now comes on full blast as soon as I turn it on and as with before when the fans are on full blast the nvidia graphics processor inst listed in the device manager.

So its either a bad nvidia graphics processor or a bad solder joint, which I think its a bad solder joint. I never saw any high temps at all so its more then things overheating.