cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrrrgh! I cannot figure how how to get my 4790k to use less voltage on my Hero VII !

1ceTr0n
Level 11
Allright, i've been battling this damn thing for a year and I really could use some help with this freaking Devils Canyon. I've got a 4790k Devils that i'm pushing at 4.7ghz on my Hero VII mobo on DDR3600 G.Skill Trident memory.* On auto voltage my 4790k is swalling up 1.349v on the core though my temps keep reasonable below 70c on my Thermalright True Spirit 140 power.

I have been trying to figure how the hell to exactly get the vcore to go lower and still allow the CPU to downlock and reduce voltage on lower/idle loads vs just manually adjusting the voltage.* The menu system on this ROG board is making it really hard for me to figure out how to use either offset or adaptive voltage.* Any help from overclocking guru's would be great. I've got included screenshots of my current settings and mobo UEFI layout

11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Work out what voltage you need to run stable using manual....then simply input this figure in Additional Turbo mode CPU Core Voltage

Offset mode sign leave + and offset field leave on auto

Should give you the voltage for turbo...your OC...and leave your CPU downclocking and downvolting (provided you don't have performance power plan set in windows or speedstep disabled in BIOS...you can have performance power plan set and edit Minimum CPU Frequency to 10% and speedstep will work too).

Disable CPU spread spectrum if you have that somewhere in the BIOS....end of AI tweaker tab?

🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Work out what voltage you need to run stable using manual....then simply input this figure in Additional Turbo mode CPU Core Voltage

Offset mode sign leave + and offset field leave on auto

Should give you the voltage for turbo...your OC...and leave your CPU downclocking and downvolting (provided you don't have performance power plan set in windows or speedstep disabled in BIOS...you can have performance power plan set and edit Minimum CPU Frequency to 10% and speedstep will work too).

Disable CPU spread spectrum if you have that somewhere in the BIOS....end of AI tweaker tab?

🙂

Could you highlight in screenshots what sections I need to modify? Thats whats confusing me the most

Nate152
Hello Icetron

As Arne says find your maximum stable overclock in manual mode first then switch to adaptive.

Let the cpu core ratio to 47, set the cpu core voltage to manual and enter in 1.30v in the "cpu core voltage override". F10 and Enter and run a stress test, if it's stable lower the voltage .01v to 1.29v and test again. Keep lowering the cpu core voltage .01v until it becomes unstable then bring it back up .01v, if you want a higher overclock continue on. A good 4790k can do 4.9GHz with approx. 1.35v give or take.

Run a stress test after each voltage change to ensure stability.

Once you find your maximum overclock simply switch from manual mode to adaptive mode and enter in the voltage in the "Additional cpu turbo mode"

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Icetron

As Arne says find your maximum stable overclock in manual mode first then switch to adaptive.

Let the cpu core ratio to 47, set the cpu core voltage to manual and enter in 1.30v in the "cpu core voltage override". F10 and Enter and run a stress test, if it's stable lower the voltage .01v to 1.29v and test again. Keep lowering the cpu core voltage .01v until it becomes unstable then bring it back up .01v, if you want a higher overclock continue on. A good 4790k can do 4.9GHz with approx. 1.35v give or take.

Run a stress test after each voltage change to ensure stability.

Once you find your maximum overclock simply switch from manual mode to adaptive mode and enter in the voltage in the "Additional cpu turbo mode"

Hello again, sorry, i suck at this if you can't tell already 😞

My temps get insane with using Prime 95 and I don't feel like paying for AID64, any suggestions?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
:rolleyes::)

Lol sorry, i'm a noob to this, I need hand holding. So you think I should turn off that Spectrum setting as well?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, overclocking..turn off CPU spread spectrum.

For a stress test I would really recommend RealBench....just run 15min stress test with full RAM selected and if you pass that you should be good to go....real stability is just day to day running.

http://dlcdnmkt.asus.com/rog/RealBench_v2.43.zip

Nate152
Yep with the realbench stress test you'll have much lower cpu temps. Be sure to run the stress test and not the benchmark. yes turn off cpu spread spectrum, at the bottom of the bios page it gives little tips for most settings.

gupsterg
Level 13
1ceTr0n, personally I like setting the CPU Core Voltage Offset [Auto]->[0.001]; this is how my setup is.

Like you I'm on air, if you do run P95 use non AVX version (27.9), what I like about RealBench stress mode is not only is the CPU on test but the GPU, so whole system getting a good workout.

Looking at your other screenshots your system should lower voltage at idle, what power profile do you use in windows?
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Hi, I have a similar question.
After determining that my CPU could be undervolted safely by 100 mV in Intel XTU (Advanced Tuning/Core Voltage Offset -100 mV), I would now like to delete iXTU and save this settings into BIOS. However, there are so many settings .. Shuould I change the "system agent voltage" or something else?

Thanks.