Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by EttoreA View Post
    The same hazards as the rest of the world; getting zapped at worst
    However, I think you shouldn't worry for ASUS rog too much; more plastic than metal.
    Rather it's your washing machine or freezer at your home if you live in old house with no grounded outlets.
    In some cases, floating ground might also casue audio hum

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yes stray currents may create low frequency noise in some cases.

For those who are interested or want to learn, this link is sufficiently accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_(electricity) .

Official safety requirement are stated by IEC 61010/UL-61010 standards, 'Safety requirements for electrical equipment'.

ROG Member Array lukadjanelidze's Avatar

i took laptop at asus service center today and they said that there's nothing to fix inside the laptop or power brick and that this "vibration" is kind of normal thing.

ROG Enthusiast Array

asus is not responsible for faulty grounding or old style outlet
    Last edited by cdma2k; 02-20-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Quote Originally Posted by cdma2k View Post
    In some cases, floating ground might also casue audio hum
    Please explain what a floating ground is and how it causes audio hum. I'm familiar with induced electrical hum caused at the frequency of the power supply, in the US we refer to it as 60 cycle hum and is caused more my poor circuit design using cheaply sourced components than anything else. However Tulane University did not cover anything about floating ground in the undergraduate or Masters courses in electrical engineering and Stanford failed to cover it in the Masters curriculum for Electronics engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by EttoreA View Post
    Yes stray currents may create low frequency noise in some cases.

For those who are interested or want to learn, this link is sufficiently accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_(electricity) .

Official safety requirement are stated by IEC 61010/UL-61010 standards, 'Safety requirements for electrical equipment'.
    Wiki page is partially correct. Never trust it a WIKI page for accuracy as anyone can write them, this one in particular sourced other wiki pages and undergraduate papers making it not all that reliable. Like I said, its partially correct.

Quote Originally Posted by lukadjanelidze View Post
    i took laptop at asus service center today and they said that there's nothing to fix inside the laptop or power brick and that this "vibration" is kind of normal thing.
    Did the issue present itself at their facility while plugged into their electrical system? If yes then it is most likely a faulty brick and could possibly be an issue in the charging circuit in the laptop itself but highly doubtful as what you are getting is AC introduced through the brick onto the DC negative. If it did not then I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that the problem lies within your electrical system and has less to do with a safety ground that does nothing but provides a path for fault current that should not be there in the first place and everything to do with the current carrying grounded conductor, Neutral, not being grounded at the source of service entrance on your dwelling or possibly a bad connection of its connection via the grounding electrode conductor to the ground rod or in some instances where allowed by local code the main water line. Electricity does some strange things. The strangest Ive seen personally that stumped the local utility companies, the fire dept and several local electrical contractors was a home where several appliances emitting a very loud hum and producing an electrical shock when touched. First thing they did was cut the main breaker to the dwelling. One would think that will solve it right? Wrong! Next the cut they power line to the home, surely that will solve it right? Wrong! Eventually I was called first thing I noted was that all the appliances that were humming, and it was LOUD, were connected to a water source. I went to the water main out front and drove a rod in the ground about 10 ft from the meter, this is about 100 ft from the house at this point, and measured from the water meter to the ground rod, 120VAC. Walked next door and saw a tree limb across the service entrance of the house next door. Told them to cut the power to that house. I hear across the fire dept raidio "Silence is Golden". The tree limb put one hot line to the neutral, that houses neutral was bonded to the water line and the other house was not, it was grounded with a ground rod. Current followed the water line to the ground rod in the house next door. After that incident the local code no longer allows grounding the current carrying grounded conductor, neutral, to the water line.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 02-20-2016 at 03:47 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Julskey's Avatar

Best I can think of a floating ground is ground connection in ships. Hehehe. Ground which is not earth ground. Seriously, I think floating grounds are the common connection in appliances which are not connected to an earth ground. There are some countries - like the Philippines which use 220 Volts and some parts in the Philippines have balanced lines 110-110 (line to line) and some have line to ground (220-0). Most old houses here have only two prong outlets. Individual appliances must have their own ground, done by running a wire from an appliance to a metal rod buried in the ground. Most of the time, people ignore this, and when there is an electrical fault in the appliance, you get an electrical shock. If it were grounded, current will flow from the chassis to ground and will trip the breaker. Now, we have three prong outlets standard.

Regarding the hum. This is true for improperly grounded high gain amplifiers ie Electric Guitar Amps. The guitar cords will act as antenna picking up radio noise and AC interference and gets amplified by the amp. If the amp has good grounding (earth ground), and the audio cables used are shielded, all the interference are routed directly to ground instead of the high gain inputs of the amp.

ROG Enthusiast Array

another example of a floating ground is ground connection in space shuttle?
    most of the hums in audio component are caused either by poor grounding layout in audio component or faulty grounding outlet.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

An appliance that is grounded by running it to a separate ground rod that is not part of the electrical system as a whole misses the intended point and does not provide a path for short circuit protection to trip the breaker.

First Ive heard of with the Philippines having phase to phase power system, their codes state otherwise as it being a 220V line to grounded conductor, ie neutral. My two Marshall amps do not have induced RFI interference however Ive seen it in the economy versions like Crate that will do it grounded or not, this goes back to the statement I made about design and components and of course non shielded cheap cables will introduce hum also regardless of the grounding as the unshielded cable becomes part of the pick up and will happen no matter what amp you have and grounded or not. The electrical hum is eliminated by introducing and EMI filter at the input.

Ships and aircraft including the space shuttle use whats called an insulated Neutral system as you cant get a ground on a ship. You don't bond anything as it can result in a shock hazard when the hull becomes juiced. Even looking past that it causes corrosion by introducing an unintended anode. We ran into issues with UPS systems operating correctly on shipboard applications and had to make a specific design that is 480 only with isolation transformers in and out to match the particular ships distribution system and use a transformers and capacitors to form a pseudo neutral via an LC network as UPS systems do not create 480, they create 3 phases 277 to neutral separated by 120 degrees.

Grounding and bonding is one of the most misunderstood things in an electrical system and one of the largest hard to understand parts of the NEC code book. Try reading the part just regarding swimming pools, that's enough to fry your brain!
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 02-20-2016 at 07:18 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Julskey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    An appliance that is grounded by running it to a separate ground rod that is not part of the electrical system as a whole misses the intended point and does not provide a path for short circuit protection to trip the breaker.

First Ive heard of with the Philippines having phase to phase power system, their codes state otherwise as it being a 220V line to grounded conductor, ie neutral.
    Well most parts of the Philippines have line to ground (220-0) two leads from drop wire, but only one insulated and the other bare. In the city where I live in, we have 110-110, also 2 leads, both insulated. If you drive a steel bar to the earth and make this your ground, you get 110V from one of the lines to ground. So, we can power 110V appliances by using only one lead wire and ground.

Circuit breaker used in our system has two poles. If any of the two live connections get in contact with the chassis which is properly grounded, the CB should trip since it will form a short circuit from line to ground. Thus proper grounding is important for the safety of personnel.

Sorry to be getting OOT already. Happy Sunday.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

Sorry, you are not getting the point. I'm trying my best to explain advanced concepts used in engineering with elementary terms. Connect your devices and run your grounds as you wish. Why bother taking the advice of a licensed EE with 30+ years of global experience that works for one of the largest electrical conglomerates on the planet? If you get zapped or something catches fire you will have something to reflect on.
    Best of luck in your endeavors!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wet_man.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	55815

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast