cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX's GTX 770m is upgradable?

NitroGerry
Level 7
Hi guys, I'm new on this website, this is my first 3D and sorry in advance for my bad written English. I have an Asus G750JX with Nvidia GTX 770m, 3gb dedicated. My laptop is still quite good for gaming, but I'm starting to look for upgrading this card in the near future. That's why I'm here asking you if in our days, it's possible update this piece of my machine. I read about a MXM 3.0b (Mobile PCI Express Module) that would help me upgrading this card to another one, but I don't know precisely what is it. I also thought if could be possible having a SLI, but I don't think this mobo supports. I was just hearing about some external graphics card case, maybe connecting itself with the thunderbolt here on the side, but I really don't know if it's just a remote possiblity or a thing I could already do since months. I'm just asking if someone could help me to understand these little things.
Thanks in advance. Nitro.
11 REPLIES 11

Darnassus
Status Under Review
No, the G750 JX model is not upgradable. The GPU is custom shaped, similar to the 765m. (Essentially, you can downgrade to that, or upgrade from that, to the 770m)

To upgrade to the 780m wouldn't work, as the chassy for the G750JH is actually thicker by roughly 1cm at the back, with deeper sinks to accommodate for cooling.

The only upgradable features on the G750 JX is the hard drives, wireless card, and possibly the screen.

Everything else is either custom shaped, or soldered to the motherboard (example, the CPU)

So, the only think I can do is to sell this one and buy the G752, maybe.. Thanks for reply, I really appreciate it because I was reading tons of 3ds on the internet for searching a vainly solution. But now I know that's impossible doing an upgrade, so I just have to sell. Thank you again.

Darnassus wrote:
No, the G750 JX model is not upgradable. The GPU is custom shaped, similar to the 765m. (Essentially, you can downgrade to that, or upgrade from that, to the 770m)

To upgrade to the 780m wouldn't work, as the chassy for the G750JH is actually thicker by roughly 1cm at the back, with deeper sinks to accommodate for cooling.

The only upgradable features on the G750 JX is the hard drives, wireless card, and possibly the screen.

Everything else is either custom shaped, or soldered to the motherboard (example, the CPU)

Actually this is not accurate I did the upgrade to the 780m for my jx. The only remained question here is if is worth it. You need a new bottom case, a new AC brick, gpu, new heat sink and fan.

But it can be done.

Good luck

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Areosjc wrote:
Actually this is not accurate I did the upgrade to the 780m for my jx. The only remained question here is if is worth it. You need a new bottom case, a new AC brick, gpu, new heat sink and fan.

But it can be done.

Good luck

My answer mainly concerned the JX as it is not replacing multiple parts to accommodate it (Clarified). It's best he just gets a new lappy with a 970m.

It'd probably cost $700-1000 to get all that.

Ultimately, you can upgrade the CPU if you can work magic with a heat rod and a couple hundred 0.5mm solder balls.

CPU is not my problem, I was interested into upgrade the graphic card. But now I understood that maybe is not worth for me. An i7 3.4 Ghz is so much for me, I just have to program Java or C sometimes, then I thought if I could have my notebook ready for the games of the 2016 in High settings easily. But I know the problems that can occur doing this upgrade. Then maybe I don't need any update in my case. Thanks for the fast reply, and sorry again for my bad english guys.
PS: Maybe ASUS must begin creating some upgradable gaming notebooks.. They're not so slim, like ultrabooks, and maybe a day it will be possible updating these ones, or maybe putting some external graphic cards for keeping these machines up-to-date.

OK so a few months ago I put an 880m into my G750JM (attempting to upgrade from the 860m).

The 880m was $250
New Heatsink with larger fan was $65
New bottom case from a G750JW (its the same bottom case, or close enough, as the JZ because it all fits perfectly) $65 (it included the speaker, which is slightly different shaped from the JM
M4 paste was like $8.
The G750JM was $1200.

My buddy bought a G750JZ for $2000...so (ignoring the BLURAY player and badass m.2 ssd raid setup) this was even cheaper and the JM has a slightly newer or maybe better/more efficient CPU 4710 vs 4700

....not near $1000 to do the upgrade, imo totally worth not getting a whole new machine....if it would work...

The computer sees the 880m and I downloaded the drivers for the 880m and installed them after deleting the 860m drivers. I tried this with ASUS's 880m NVIDIA drivers first, all of them, in chronological order, and then the drivers directly from NVIDIA too, but could never get it to run NVIDIA control panel without crashing. I could get NVIDIA experience to update the drivers sometimes though...

I think I need some sort of BIOS for the 880m because I've had the project on hold for a cpl months, not wanting to put the 860m back in...

So I see this thread and this one here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37207-Request-770m-780m-Vbios and now I'm thinking this may still work

ASUS will not help, they do not support this and won't give any advice besides, "We can not give advice for custom modding, just for stock machines..." Took 2 hours on the phone for that final ruling on the subject.

Thanks in advance for any help guys, sorry for the run-on sentences.

Areosjc wrote:

But it can be done.

Good luck

From what I could find all the G750s have a 180W 19.5V 9.23A stock charger, but if this is my problem I'd be stoked
😄

sagemode wrote:
From what I could find all the G750s have a 180W 19.5V 9.23A stock charger, but if this is my problem I'd be stoked
😄

I tried the 780m using the stock AC brick from my JX model for a week and everything works ok, I saw some reviews about the JH model using 203W maximum and this was using Prime and fumark at the same time, this conditions are extreme, but at the end I ordered a 230W from dell and just change the connector, and all have been just fine for the last 6 moths.

Mhm, maybe upgrading the 770m for an 780m isn't that worth. I could have about 10-15% more stock power, but for what it costs and the risk of upgrading the machine, I think that's not worth finally. Maybe better waiting for next year or for Pascal, I'll start thinking about a Desktop machine..