cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Overclocking My Graphics Card Safe?

kflwfe
Level 7
I currently own an Asus G75VX that has a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670MX graphics card. I read some threads online saying that some people use MSI Afterburner to Overclock their laptop to get better fps so naturally I was curious to try to do this myself.

I downloaded Afterburner and the max settings are +135Mhz Core and +1000Mhz.

Will these settings eventually ruin my laptop? Or is it safe to do so?
I haven't really noticed a significant increase in laptop temperature, like its not hot or anything... but I have a few friends who said that when they overclocked theirs, their laptops broke down.

P.S Link to my laptop specs. https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G75VX/specifications/

P.P.S.

Any comments or further information is greatly appreciated, as you can tell I don't know much about these things but I want to start learning.
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey kflwfe 🙂

Overclocking always comes with some risk to components and if you're concerned about longevity it is probably best to avoid.

If you do OC it is in large part all about thermal solutions.....those of us that do OC often invest considerably in state of the art cooling solutions to try to offset the increased temps associated and thereby relieve some of the risk...though increased current is the other half of the equation and this in itself reduces lifespan.

Basically laptops are already a compromise of cooling and longevity for portability....overclocking is not a good thing to do if you want the laptop to last in my opinion...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey kflwfe 🙂

Overclocking always comes with some risk to components and if you're concerned about longevity it is probably best to avoid.

If you do OC it is in large part all about thermal solutions.....those of us that do OC often invest considerably in state of the art cooling solutions to try to offset the increased temps associated and thereby relieve some of the risk...though increased current is the other half of the equation and this in itself reduces lifespan.

Basically laptops are already a compromise of cooling and longevity for portability....overclocking is not a good thing to do if you want the laptop to last in my opinion...

Hey man!

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I should just go buy and upgrade my graphics card!

🙂

Menthol
Level 14
Upgrading the graphics card on a laptop is no easy task and can be costly or impossible on most laptops

Vlada011
Level 10
I think that some normal overclocking is pretty safe.
But I think mostly on overclocking with default voltage or little over that.
Sometimes people laugh me and ask me why I don't push hardware further.
Example I keep i7-5820K on 4.0GHz and when newer models show up I will OC him on 4.2GHz to be closer to newer models.
Mostly because I don't want and I don't have money to cover damage if I decide to push hardware to the edge of stability.
OK my graphic cards are mostly fabric overclocked and I don't need to overclock them but guys with reference models I think should pay attention how far different brands push their fabric overclocked models and than to try to reach some of that clocks. Not over that... Even in many situation they can't reach clock of some premium models as Matrix Platinum or special Matrix Gold.
Off course no one will keep TITAN X on 1000MHz, I would felt stupid to play games on 1000MHz,
most people will try to reach at least 1100MHz or 1150MHz Base Clock.
But I'm not for that if someone torture hardware and drain last MHz except if he love exactly that and if he could cover failure with own money not to call technical support after smoke on 300mV over reference voltage and 300MHz higher clock.
Or it's really stupid someone to pay 1000$ for i7-5960X and keep him on clock where his performance in single threaded applications are inferior to 280$ processors. Off course he need to overclock him and reach similar speed in single threaded application and increase further domination in multi threaded applications.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That is a good point...may as well see what you can get for "free"...i.e. what you can get out of the card at the same voltage...just check temps as always...and don't push things to their limit..crashes can corrupt OS etc.

Qwinn
Level 11
My Gigabyte G1 980Ti's don't overclock very well compared to most (I do follow several threads about OCing them on overclock.net). I can run them in SLI at 1455Mhz core 8000Mhz memory at stock voltage, but maxing out voltage doesn't gain me *any* stability OCing higher at all. Now that's still more than any factory overclock out there and it's enough to smoothly run any game I've thrown at it so far (including Witcher 3 in 3D Vision at 1440p). So no complaints here.

I say, yeah, find out what the highest clocks you can get stable at with stock voltage and run there. You can't really hurt anything at stock voltage. It'd even be pretty safe to max voltage on a desktop, but I wouldn't try it on a laptop as it will consume considerably more power and shorten how long you can run on battery.