cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VL with Samsung Pro 950 SSD (512GB) - update

wpeters
Level 7
Hi,

Just wanted to relate my experience and where I'm at with Asus on the compatibility issues between the Samsung 950 Pro SSD's and the 752VL Notebooks.

I was able to clone the 1T platter drive to the 512GB SSD without any problems, didn't need to change anything in the Bios, it all just worked. Removed the platter and the OS on the SSD started up in about 4 seconds. Flashed the Bios to latest version 216.

I started up the Samsung Magician software and noticed the garbled SSD name, and most of the fields remained blank. Obviously there is some incompatibility with this drive. It should work, the notebook has an M.2 slot for exactly this purpose.

I tested the drive in my desktop and it works perfectly, so that rules out any problems with the drive itself.

Called Asus, had no luck after 3 hours of getting transferred and cut off. Sent an email to support with all the details.

Apart from the Magician software not being able to identify the drive it appears to be working okay and is quite fast. I checked Windows to see if Trim was on and it was.
Ultimately if Asus and Samsung fail to come up with a solution is there anything that I need to be concerned about? What about provisioning, it appears that I can't enable it. I was thinking that I could put the drive into my desktop, enable provisioning and put it back into the notebook, not sure if this would work.

W.

9 REPLIES 9

JustinThyme
Level 13
You can do over provisioning yourself. Simply create a partition roughly 10% the size of the drive and leave it unallocated. Done.
TRIM is handled by the OS with disk defrag utility. If you launch defrag that you will see it lists the drive as an SSD with no option to defragment but optimize instead. Optomize=TRIM.

There are lots of posts with the same screen shot you have posted and what works and what does not with the 950pro installed on a G752VY without Samsung drivers or Software. I dont know about the BIOS for the VL but the latest VT and VY allows you to turn the raid off so Samsung software can see the drive and you can use the software. This is not new news. Samsung drivers and software have not been able to see past a raid controller since they were developed.

You can get most info out of this thread, there is a little more you can find using that window in the top right that says "search forums" and typing in your criteria.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79822-G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information

The only thing you get out of Samsung software is the ability to update firmware on the drives and use their RAPID mode which is a fancy word for using a ram drive as a buffer and IMO is useless. It will show better results on a crystalmark bench with smaller blocks but move it up to 8GB and watch it tank to worse performance than not having it enabled. Many people have shown that in real life applications the RAPID mode actually performs worse than not having it enabled.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks, was able to get the over provisioning set up. Checked the Trim in Defrag and that's correct.

I checked the BIOS and was not certain where to look, perhaps you can point me to the correct option.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Main screen as to which version BIOS and Third picture, SATA configuration. If you have the ability to select between AHCI/RAID which is really RAID on/off If you dont see that option then you will not be able to use Samsung drivers or software. You have been the only one posting up on the VL series. All others have been VT and VY.

This post shows what it looks like on VY BIOS 211, which was just released. If there only RAID in white at the top of the SATA configuration screen and you cannot change it then you cannot disable raid.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83061-G752VY-BIOS-211-released-with-AHCI-and-RAID-0&p=5740...

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

*** Note: See next post, its all working correctly.

The option is there, so I changed it to AHCI and there was a problem booting up. Is there something else I need to do?

Okay great its all working correctly, Samsung Magician can correctly see the drive etc It was the info in this post that was important. Need to start in safe mode and install the driver. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83061-G752VY-BIOS-211-released-with-AHCI-and-RAID-0&p=5741...

Thank you for your help and patience. W.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Glad to see you got it working, a bit disappointed still to see there is no discernible difference in drive speed as will all the other platforms.

JustinThyme wrote:
Glad to see you got it working, a bit disappointed still to see there is no discernible difference in drive speed as will all the other platforms.

Justin Thyme-thx 4 bee+ingAWESOME,snappy aka, too.
peace
Godbless

*nice to know your there...
bmoneynotburden

JustinThyme wrote:

Justin Thyme-thx 4 bee+ingAWESOME,snappy aka, too.
peace
Godbless

*nice to know your there...
bmoneynotburden

JustinThyme
Level 13
We are all here, I'm a very small part of a large community. I learn just as much from other members even though I'm considered an old goat by most standards. Never to old to learn something new in ever evolving technology.