cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build can't post

paddler
Level 7
New build of Maximus VIII Extreme, i7 6700k, Poseidon Platinum GeForce GTX 980Ti, G Skill Trident Z DDR4 3400 memory and Corsair AX 1200i. Have attempted first post and get Q-LED orange light with Q-code 99. All components are compatible. Bench tested with only one memory module, on board graphics only with same results. The initialization starts and runs for a few seconds with a few Q-code errors for short periods, several q-codes flash and then it moves on quickly. No display on the monitor. I have "chated" with Asus mother board support who finished with "do a bench test". I am assuming that because there is action on the board and the Q-codes display that the CPU is working, is that a safe assumption? Any advice would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hello paddler

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Code 99 with no display is usually the gpu area and since you're getting it with the onboard graphics too it could be connectivity with your monitor.

Chino
Level 15
Try loosening the screws for your heatsink. If that fails, proceed to inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins.

light007speed
Level 7
Well, Paddler, any luck so far?
on my Asus Hero 8 MB, 'Q-code 99 = Super I/O Initialization', whatever that means.
If all else fails, try un-plugging everything, then put it all together again and try POST again. Could be a loose connection/cable here or CPU Fan there. Might even be a loose cable on the PSU end... goodluck
Asus & MSi FTW (For the WiN 🙂 !!