cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm really confused about the g751 battery

SoapTurtle
Level 7
I recentl'y had to RMA my computer for battery replacement because my battery would not hold a charge past zero. I have only had this computer for seven months and im already getting battery issues. Anyway for the 7 months i spent with the computer i was under the impression that i did not need to unplug my computer unless i turned it off seeing as i game it needs the power because gaming on the battery isn't very smart... Asus is extremely vague and unhelpful when it comes to caring for your battery for business related reasons. It's a gaming laptop so naturally its plugged in for long periods of time. I have come here for answers. How do i keep my battery from dying. Do i plug it in for some time then let it drain out each time it hits 100%. I'm really confused on what i should to. Can i have a definite answer on caring for this series battery?
8 REPLIES 8

SoapTurtle
Level 7
Can someone please offer me an answer. I'm really in need of one.

xeromist
The battery charging tech has built in protection to keep it from overcharging or reducing the useful life. So you can leave it plugged in. In fact you'll notice that when it is working correctly it will drop a few percent rather than keeping it constantly at 100%

You may have simply had a bad battery. If this happens more than once then it could be a problem with the machine.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The battery charging tech has built in protection to keep it from overcharging or reducing the useful life. So you can leave it plugged in. In fact you'll notice that when it is working correctly it will drop a few percent rather than keeping it constantly at 100%

You may have simply had a bad battery. If this happens more than once then it could be a problem with the machine.

Thank you for actually replying. I was told a way differen't story from asus. They told me that i need to plug my battery out once it hits a hundred and let it drain in order to keep battery life. Once i pressed them for answers on that. They gave me none. Is there any reason why they don't want to give me information on how to keep my battery for the longest time?...

JustinThyme
Level 13
You will get different answers from different people. The newer Lithium batteries are not well understood by all. Unlike the preceding batteries each individual cell is charge separately and balanced and do not hold a memory. The charging system is quite a bit more complex and as noted by our esteemed moderator its automatic and will regulate the charge dropping it by 5% or so before initiating a charge cycle. To see plugged in and not charging is intended operation. If you have 0 percent then either your charging circuit is cooked or more likely you have two open cells and need to replace the battery. Unfortunately there seems to be a QC issue with batteries these days as they are all made in one country that doesn't care about QC. I just had an incident where a brand new bank of 36 VRLA batteries went into thermal runaway, not pretty.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Wow. That doesn't sound very pretty. I'm glad to get input from you guys. It seems you guys are more reliable then asus. Which really says alot about their support. Anyway thank you for your help i really appreciate you taking the time to answer my thread rather then looking and moving on.

JustinThyme wrote:
You will get different answers from different people. The newer Lithium batteries are not well understood by all. Unlike the preceding batteries each individual cell is charge separately and balanced and do not hold a memory. The charging system is quite a bit more complex and as noted by our esteemed moderator its automatic and will regulate the charge dropping it by 5% or so before initiating a charge cycle. To see plugged in and not charging is intended operation. If you have 0 percent then either your charging circuit is cooked or more likely you have two open cells and need to replace the battery. Unfortunately there seems to be a QC issue with batteries these days as they are all made in one country that doesn't care about QC. I just had an incident where a brand new bank of 36 VRLA batteries went into thermal runaway, not pretty.

Wow. That doesn't sound very pretty. I'm glad to get input from you guys. It seems you guys are more reliable then asus. Which really says alot about their support. Anyway thank you for your help i really appreciate you taking the time to answer my thread rather then looking and moving on.

EttoreA
Level 7

JustinThyme
Level 13
Thanks for the thought in providing the link. Its very old information from 2010 and does not cover the batteries in the newer machines that uses the lithium Polymer type batteries. Even so I would have argued many points with the author in 2010 when it was written. It does have some useful general information.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein