cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

980ti Matrix

Blackjack
Level 7
Just received my 980ti Matrix. Initial impression are that this card has same robust build quality as previous Matrix cards. Even though I bought this from Amazon Warehouse Deal for $615, I couldn't find anything wrong with the card. A little wear and tear on box, but that's it.

Out the box stock, the card was seeing a boost of 1430 with oc mode engaged in GPU Tweak II. This is the first i've used the update software and really like the new gui. Initial quick and dirty overclock on are was 1505/1900 with +40mv on core. Temps did not break 60*. I'll post some 3D11 screens when I get a chance. Graphics score at 1505 is 28095, which seems great on an 4.6 oc with 6700k.
I will be including info ect., and using Matrix OC Tool. Hopefully execute a better solder this time on connector. Retail cards do not include the connector. Stay tuned. Lots of benching on this coming up in association with Chellenger Competition on HWbot. Can't wait to freeze this beach.
50 REPLIES 50

Menthol
Level 14
Blackjack
Looking forward to seeing your results

Nate152
I just upgraded to the Matrix 980 Ti myself and it's one nice gpu, My core clock is the same as yours 1505, anymore than that the driver crashes I can get +500MHz on the memory for 8200MHz.

I soldered the pins on mine too and that was the most tedious thing I ever soldered, I used a super small tiny bead of solder and needed a magnifying glass, I must be getting old haha. LN2 mode is useless on air, temps hit 70c quick and throttles to 700MHz-800MHz.

I'd like to see your results as well.

Menthol wrote:
Blackjack
Looking forward to seeing your results

Nate152 wrote:
I just upgraded to the Matrix 980 Ti myself and it's one nice gpu, My core clock is the same as yours 1505, anymore than that the driver crashes I can get +500MHz on the memory for 8200MHz.

I soldered the pins on mine too and that was the most tedious thing I ever soldered, I used a super small tiny bead of solder and needed a magnifying glass, I must be getting old haha. LN2 mode is useless on air, temps hit 70c quick and throttles to 700MHz-800MHz.

I'd like to see your results as well.

Thanks guys. Really am excited about this gpu. Had a Titan x, but every time I pushed, was afraid I'd end up with a dead card. Feel much more confident with this and initial numbers are telling me this could be a beast. I don't think I've reached my peak on air. I'll give it another go or 2 before mounting a universal wb. Also received a new 5960x and should be able to post some great 3dmark scores. Cleaning my Gigabyte Champ and hope it is in good working order. Had a few issues with that may have been related to vasaline and cold.

This is on a 4c at 4.6. The nice thing here is graphics score - 28095

Max at reasonable settings on chilled air. I stil haven't broken 60*, but don't want to push too hard on air. Still have a long ways to go and many benches to run. I will switch over to oc bios and rerun next step to see if there is a difference.
Again, 6700k 4.6ghz - 1524/1900 @1.213v on std. bios- 28683 graphics score is quite impressive.

Blackjack wrote:
Thanks guys. Really am excited about this gpu. Had a Titan x, but every time I pushed, was afraid I'd end up with a dead card. Feel much more confident with this and initial numbers are telling me this could be a beast. I don't think I've reached my peak on air. I'll give it another go or 2 before mounting a universal wb. Also received a new 5960x and should be able to post some great 3dmark scores. Cleaning my Gigabyte Champ and hope it is in good working order. Had a few issues with that may have been related to vasaline and cold.

This is on a 4c at 4.6. The nice thing here is graphics score - 28095

Max at reasonable settings on chilled air. I stil haven't broken 60*, but don't want to push too hard on air. Still have a long ways to go and many benches to run. I will switch over to oc bios and rerun next step to see if there is a difference.
Again, 6700k 4.6ghz - 1524/1900 @1.213v on std. bios- 28683 graphics score is quite impressive.

Hello. I just got this GPU, too. I'm wondering how you unlocked the GPU Voltage slider, as I can't seem to find mine in Asus GPU Tweak II. (Sorry, I'm all new to this)

Edge91493 wrote:
Hello. I just got this GPU, too. I'm wondering how you unlocked the GPU Voltage slider, as I can't seem to find mine in Asus GPU Tweak II. (Sorry, I'm all new to this)

First click the professional arrow on bottom right side of gpu tweak. That will open additional settings.

You have to bridge the LN2 pads on back end of card to unlock full control. You can solder or use conductive pen. I used a conductive pen as it will wipe right off with alocohol. Solder Mars the pads for good.
So far haven't really seen much benefit unlocking. I haven't taken it cold though. For air or water. You will not see much improvement unless you cool it better. Still testing though.

Nate152
OK BlackJack you made me do it too here is the 720p test, you got a better graphics score mine only goes to 1511Mhz.

Vlada011
Level 10
Both are excellent cards, I think you will use them most on fabric speed for gaming? Did you tried with Matrix Gold BIOS?
I would love 980Ti Matrix but I can't buy bought TITAN X2 Pascal and Matrix and I think fabric overclocked TITAN X2 HBM 2 will be beast as well.

You are right overclocking TITAN X is bigger risk, reference PCB. Maybe only fabric OC, or installation some faster BIOS and that's it.
Anything over 100-150MHz is risk. But 150MHz overclocked TITAN X is fast as lightning. And cooler need to be changed.
Reference is barely for stock enough. Big power consumption and lot of heat in gaming. Only Matrix cards fit nicer
with Rampage and Maximus motherboards than reference cards, that's true. And Matrix look great from side.

Blackjack
Level 7
OC bios same as std. Obviously no difference until you short jumpers. Champ is out of commission. Bad vrm or cap and needs rma'd. I still have the x99 OCF set up with a 5820k and 290x Matrix for LN2, so I'll bench that once more before switching out to 5960x and 980ti Matrix.
Next up for the 980ti Matrix is shorting LN2 jumpers and mounting a universal wb.

Nate, are you air or water?
Vlad, I bench, rarely game. Not sure what you men by "fabric oc"?

Nate152