cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable G752VT keyboard backlight on boot before logging into Windows? - Solved w/ATK

guyfawkes
Level 7
Can I enable keyboard backlight when my computer starting? Now I only have it after login in Windows.
22 REPLIES 22

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you find the solution let me know. This is one thing that bugs the crap out of me as I don't typically sit in a well lit room, I prefer a dimmed environment. It would be different if it was like the G74 keys where the back light is white and the keys can be still identified without 1000 watts of lighting. With the red its impossible to see in dim lighting.
Works fine at POST on G751s, nothing on G752s until you are past the point where you need it most, typing in your password.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Julskey
Level 10
I disabled password login. So when my laptop powers up, it goes straight to desktop. I don't keep sensitive material on my laptop anyway, only games and softsynths. But, it sure would be good to know if you do find a solution.

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
Seems to be in Bios configurations. All depends on Asus.

guyfawkes
Level 7
How can it be named in BIOS options?

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
G752VY Bios is weird, many options are missing and doesn't seems to save my fastboot " enabled " option.

Keyboard backlit on post are not necessary an option in Bios but it should be configured by oem in Bios. Hopefully asus still working on it.

JustinThyme
Level 13
All the G752 BIOS files are immature. Im going to log a ticket to get some attention. Maybe if everyone else does the same it will get more attention.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
I logged two tickets for two different serial numbers. What a joke that was!

Here is how it went so far. My original ticket

No Keyboard back lights until after login. Previous ROG laptops, no problems.
Multiple users with same issue. Very hard to see keys to log in even in well lit room
with no working back light. Keys are completely dark. After log in info is entered and
proceeding to desktop keys light up as they should.

The first response, laughable yet predictable when reading from a script.

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is XXXXX and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

I feel sincerely sorry for your trouble.
I understand you are meeting the backlight keyboard issue with this product.

For this issue, please constantly press Fn+F3 on your keyboard and check if the
backlight could be light on.
Then I would suggest you to download and reinstall the ATK package of this
notebook.

ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
Version V1.0.0041

http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?
SLanguage=en&p=3&s=833&m=G752VY&os=45&ft=26&f_name=ATKPackage_Win
10_64_VER100041.zip#ATKPackage_Win10_64_VER100041.zip

Also please ensure that the necessary windows udates have been installed.

An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure to rate the
service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
XXXXXXX

My response to that

This does not even remotely address my issue. Please read the the complaint in full
before replying with a generic power point flow chart answer. The problem is dark
keys where you cannot enter login information before the operating system has loaded
While Windows is up to date as is the ATK package this has nothing
to do with it until after the OS has loaded. The keys light up immediately after the
login credentials are entered however they are dark before making it extremely
difficult to see. The Fn+F3 works fine AFTER the OS loads. Multiple owners of
G752s are reporting the same issue in the ASUS ROG forums. My guess is it's BIOS
related as I don't have this problem on my previous ROG laptops. Works fine on
G751 all models, does not work prior to log in on all G752 models.

The response to that that conclusively prooves THEY READ FROM A SCRIPT AND FLOW CHART!!!

Sorry for my carlessness. I have reviewed out troubleshooting chart several times and this is the answer provided.
After checking with our Product department, I am afraid that for this G752VY notebook, the backlight keyboard wouldn't persist lighting before it boot into the OS.

How lame is that. Went from bad advice to its not supported!

My response to that

Im sorry but that is not an acceptable answer. I've owned multiple ROG notebook and they all operated the same way where in after depressing the power button the keyboard lights up so you can see it to be able to enter the login credentials. If you cannot provide an answer other than incorrect information followed by saying its not supported on this model please forward this correspondence to s supervisor for remediation. Either the BIOS needs to be updated for it to operate correctly or the Keyboard needs to be replaced with one that you can see clearly without the back lights. The current scheme is not in the least acceptable.

There has been a significant lag since. If I dont get a response within their 48 window I will simply log two more tickets.

guyfawkes
Level 7
ASUS support is worse now. Never will buy anything from ASUS.

maf23
Level 7
The lighted keyboard was one of the selling points for me for the GL552. The Bios options on the GL552VW are extremely limited. On hold with ASUS support as I type to try to find out where to find details for Bios version 216. I think he hung up on me. Is it too much to ask for a list of things that a bios update provides, rather than blindly applying the latest update which may or may not address a particular issue. Also, going from bios version 210 to 216 in three months seems a little suspicious to me. I seriously don't trust anything on the ASUS support pages anymore. After 20 minutes on Hold, I was offered the following answer to what has been changed in the 216 bios "Change Setup/HDD password rule". Gee thanks that was very helpful ASUS support.