cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL752 dual boot - problems

senti7676
Level 7
Hi,

I need to install an additional system either Win7 or Win10 32.
Reason is that some programs do not work from the Win10 x64 installed on this laptop (due to drivers - my opinion after 8 days+ of trying), the one that hurts me more right now, being Broodwar.
Now i tried to install Win7 and Win10 on 32bit and i have A LOT of problems with those cause i cannot find drivers and assus support is a bad joke. However i managed to find some and i managed to install them manually but i cannot stay all time in a system like that so i want dual boot so i can use that 32 bit only when i play.

Now is the issue:
Win 10 x64 wants to install only on GPT partition or at least that is what my version tells me.
Win 32x cannot be installed on a GPT disk after that because my BIOS does not support that.
So i converted my other disk in MBR and tried to install it there. But as a nasty surprise i get "Windows couldn't install in this location. Please check your disk, more info 0x80300024". So i cleaned the second driver and re partitioned it with windows programs and still same, re partitioned and reformatted it with boot manager from win installation and same issue for both win7 and win10 32.

Can you please anyone help me with:
1. Can i install win 10 x64 on a MBR formatted disk (not GPT) ? If yes how ... pls details
2. How can i install the win 32 on the second drive ... pls details cause i tried everything i know
3. Any other idea how can i create a dual boot with win 10 x64 + something else x32 ?

I am not a new guy and i know how to work with these but i must admit that this laptop has put me in a corner not to say about the assus support that just came with "this laptop is especially designed for win10 x64" and that is it
Yes i am frustrated cause i solved various problems with drivers and installation for 8-9 days already and i got at the end of ideas i had. So pls if anyone has any other idea about what i can do, pls reply.

Thanks,
Adrian
10 REPLIES 10

JustinThyme
Level 13
Firstly please don't blame ASUS support. It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is they only support original configuration being both hardware and software.

Driver are a function of Hardware, not software. The older software may not play will with the Win10 kernel.

You aren't going to mix files systems. Im thinking thats why you are getting your error code 0x80300024 when you try to install there.
First thing I would try is run diskpart and clean the disk before trying to install an OS to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9nc1PAhieQ

Just be aware that you will have driver problems no matter what you install if its not OEM. Its not ASUS's responsibility to help you modify the machine from factory specifications.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Julskey
Level 10
Have you tried virtual machines? If you're only using broodwar for the win7, I think it will run in virtual windows xp or win7. I have tried that with oracle virtualbox running win xp on Windows7 environment on my old G74sx. But you cannot expect good graphics, but it is playable.

Thanks for reply guys i made it (in the end) 🙂

First for JustInThyme : Yes and no. I do not blame Assus for how the Windows is getting installed. I blame them for few other reasons:
1. They did not say that is working only with windows 10 x64 anywhere in the advertisements, but when i asked them for help that was the reply.
2. They do not list any drivers for any other system than x64
3. The drivers for x64 even on this "specially designed laptop for x64" make a lot of issues. For example Broodwar does not see the CD 🙂 and is not the only one ...
Yes i understand that i am malicious and not nice but i had 8 days of test and try that drove me nuts and what i got as reply was a bunch of things like, this does not work with win10 cause is too old and replies like that which are not something you want to read after 3-4 installations and mind crushing problems like "i have no USB driver in Win 7 => no mouse".

First to answer the questions i had:
1. Is not possible to boot x64 win10 on anything else than GPT HDD, at least that is what i found written.
2. Well simple, just that you have to trick windows. Problem is that windows installs itself where he wants not where you want. When it installs itself in a partition, he creates a mini partition of around 500MB where it actually puts the boot loader. I knew that so i created one for it on the second disk but he will not go for that one. Windows installer will simply go for the first HDD just because he wants that.
I tried to clone this 500MB partition and move it to the other disk with Clonezilla but it did not work (cannot say will definite not work but i was not able to do that from the first run).

Once i realized what was the issue, My solution was a low tech one but effective in the end:
1. Create a partition on the second HDD at the end of the HDD, leave a lot of room before it for the partition where you want to install the other system. Create a backup on this partition of your SSD drive installation x64 + recovery disk.
2. Find the screw drivers, take out the SSD physically from the Laptop (do power off first)
3. Install win10 on the second HDD (which now is the only one). Is better to leave the space unallocated and leave the windows allocate it. As i said will create 2 partitions actually, one of 450-500MB and another one for the rest.
4. Put the SSD back in (again with power off).
5. Reload the partition of x64 from the backup using the recovery disk.

Now the only inconvenient is that when i want to boot win32 i have to do that from bios to chose the second HDD, but i guess i'll find a boot loader somewhere, that should be easy.

Regarding the Win10 x32. If anyone tries it, go first to Realtech and find out the drivers and download them. The ones from Win10 were not ok for me (what i found and used is ALL_INST_1.12.0034_DASH_DPEP_W7_W8_WHQL_20141216)
Also go and find the driver for the wireless from Intel site. Ignore the one for win10 x32 cause that one does not work. Use the Win7 one (Wireless_18.32.0_Driver32_Win7).
Once inside Win10 you will need to install these 2 in order to be able to use the network.

In windows 7 you need to install also the chipset drivers for intel (win32_154014.4352) but i was not able to install a driver for USB so i gave up on Win 7.

Adrian

@ Julskey, yes that is what i tried on Tuesday i think :).

I used Oracle VM and worked very well. I had some colors problems (the issues you find on NET that in Win7 the colors in Brood are changed - seems to be a fix for it) but the main issue with VM was that i was not able to exchange files between VM and the rest of laptop, at least not easily. Free, the only thing i could find was to create an ISO with what i want, burn it on a RW DVD and then mount the DVD in the VM. Mounting just the ISO did not work 🙂

I did not try VM Ware though ... But anyhow yes that is an alternative that i considered and it was moving surprisingly well.
I do not want to be rude but i did not expect it to run that well. The only time i needed a VM was when i was playing Warcraft III and in Windows it was not moving too good so i was booting Linux and from there Windows and then Warcraft in VM Ware was simply running 🙂 but that was looong time ago and in Linux.

Not sure if is the Intel processor or Win10 or both or the general hardware, but the VM worked pretty impressive :).
I did not delete that partition yet.

senti7676 wrote:
@ Julskey, yes that is what i tried on Tuesday i think :).

I used Oracle VM and worked very well. I had some colors problems (the issues you find on NET that in Win7 the colors in Brood are changed - seems to be a fix for it) but the main issue with VM was that i was not able to exchange files between VM and the rest of laptop, at least not easily. Free, the only thing i could find was to create an ISO with what i want, burn it on a RW DVD and then mount the DVD in the VM. Mounting just the ISO did not work 🙂

I did not try VM Ware though ... But anyhow yes that is an alternative that i considered and it was moving surprisingly well.
I do not want to be rude but i did not expect it to run that well. The only time i needed a VM was when i was playing Warcraft III and in Windows it was not moving too good so i was booting Linux and from there Windows and then Warcraft in VM Ware was simply running 🙂 but that was looong time ago and in Linux.

Not sure if is the Intel processor or Win10 or both or the general hardware, but the VM worked pretty impressive :).
I did not delete that partition yet.

Yes you can mount an iso image to Virtualbox dvd drive. You can mount it from Devices ->cd and browse to the iso file location. Do not select host cd/dvd, or if you want, you can add another virtual cd drive where you can mount an iso file.

About SC1 broodwar, it is already playable in Windows 10 compatibility mode for Win XP/vista/7. No need to fix color. You just have to set desktop screen resolution to 800x600.

Hi,
I don't have my GL752 yet, but I would like to install Windows 8.1 x64 on it. Is it possible? I can't see any Win8.1 drivers on support.asus.com, just Win10 x64.
Should W10 drivers work on W8.1?

Thanks

Julskey
Level 10
You know what, I installed starcraft with broodwar expansion pack in my G752VT on Win10 and surprisingly, it worked. Although the resolution is not so good and you have to enable compatibility for vista, win7 or winxp to have sound.

I just made an iso and mount it in explorer and install from there. ejected the original installer and mounted brood war and installed again, then patched with update patch 1151 [783117D3], and it ran.

Here is a screenshot.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I get your frustration but as already stated no manufacturer supports anything other than what the machine comes with natively, remember that for future reference. If you call for Win10 support on a G751 you will get the same answers because that's not what the machine sold with. It does state plainly on their web page and product description what OS is comes with. They can't possibly write drivers for and support every OS on the market. What if someone popped up complaining about it not working with Win 3.11 or DOS 5.0? Again, this is just industry standard. On that same note what is the specs on your game for what OS it runs on? Obviously Win10 x64 is not on the list. Not many people look to step backwards with new hardware.

I'm happy to see you figured out a way but I think it could have been done easier simply by wiping the drive with the clean command, and installing to the spinner after it's been wiped and left in the state of a brand new uninitialiazed drive with no partitions. Yes GPT is the new standard. You can choose which boot paritition to boot from without going into the BIOS if you leave it go it will choose default that is in the BIOS bit of you just use the ESC button at post it will list all available boot partitions. I won't be surprised if you find more issues with running a 7 year old 32 bit OS on a platform that's been designed and optimized to run on the latest 64 bit operating systems. Some of the hardware didn't exist in 2009 and new hardware manufactures don't look to the past when writing drivers. They look for what's current and what's coming next.

Hope it all works out for you.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

cdma2k
Level 7
For virtualbox I have never installed windows in windows, but it is easy to share files between windows and linux