cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GL552VW warranty-upgrading

Romanul
Level 7
Asus GL552VW-DM141 i7-6700HQ/8GB/1TB/GTX960M/15.6'' 900€ (w10+ssd=1150€)
Asus GL552VW-DM149 i5-6300HQ/4GB/1TB/GTX960M/15.6" 730€ (w10+ssd+ram=1000€)

It's 1 of those laptops that i will buy. The problem is that doesn't matter which one i get, i will immediately put an ssd in it. I've read
that upgrading a rog laptop voids the warranty is just to scare those that actually have no idea what are they doing. But on the other
hand, i've also read people that know what they are doing being left with no warranty. I'm kinda scared, i'm not rich, if i upgrade and
then install w10 on them and discover that there are some issues i would like to return it instead of stiking with it.

What i want to do is just remove the 1TB drive and put an evo 500GB.
Also, i have a high end desktop (with a hero mobo) but i only play a free moba game. Maybe in the future i get a job and will be able to pay for games. The point i want to reach is that, with these laptops the only difference in the CPU i5vsi7. What impact does it have if you play a game on the exact same settings while having different processors?
2 REPLIES 2

InfernoStorm
Level 10
There's no warranty seals on any of the ROG laptops as discussed in the G751 G-SYNC upgrade program so how are they going to know if you opened up your laptop for upgrade? Just keep all the old stuff and in the case you do need to send it back for warranty replacement/repair then just swap back the old stuff.

There's going to be some marginal difference in gaming performance with i5 vs i7. Anyone that really wants quality gaming performance on a laptop would go with the i7.

I'd go with the i7, if not for current games, then for the sake of future games (actually, I went with the I7, bought it a few days ago).

There is no warranty seal, but with a few of my friend experiences and a few I read on the forum, maybe leave the HDD inside and add an SSD (either in the m.2 slot or instead of the optical drive). That is what I did, because two of my friends with last generation G7s and the HDD (in one) and the SSD (in the other) on the main sata connector died, and I also saw a post here from a guy who is having problems with aftermarket ssd in his laptop, so I chose to add the ssd to the extra slot, just in case it is a series problem with the motherboard to disk connection, and not the disk itself.
And if something goes wrong and you have to send it back for repairs, you just take out your SSD. Also, if you're gonna buy it in a store somewhere near instead of online, ask if they can put in the ssd instead of you doing it, without breaching the warranty conditions, I don't know if that is a usual practice in most of the stores, but I got that offer from a store I usually buy my equipment from.