cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VIII Alpha Wake Problems Q-Code 5d

BarneyC
Level 8
Hey all. Me again.

There have been a few discussions around boot and wake problems but as yet I can't find anything the same as mine so reaching out.

The build has been broadly working fine for a week or so. Benchmarks, stress tests and such all going fine. BUT the occasional crash or a long time on sleep led to a power up error along the lines of "Power surge detected, hit F1 to head off to the BIOS and fix things..." I've now managed to replicate this consistently. Just set the machine to sleep and on wake the screens don't sync up, the keyboard lights don't flash. Also the yellow/orange DRAM_LED stays lit and the Q-Code rocks a 5d - which according to the manual is "reserved for future.."

A full power cycle, a quick trip into BIOS without changing anything and it all boots fine. Also turning the machine fully off doesn't seem to cause this problem.

I thought perhaps there was a problem with the DRAM itself - I do have 2x8Gb kits installed and whilst they are exactly the same model, timings and such there is a "revision" difference on the back of each pair. BUT these have been fine and very stressed tested for days. Tried swapping slots, singles, pairs, orders... all with same effect, the machine posts a 5d after sleep. On that I can't see the problem actually being the DRAM.

BIOS is 1402 (cleared CMOS just to be sure), no overclock or XMP, Windows 10 64bit and all the latest drivers.

I'm stumped. Anyone suggest something?
7 REPLIES 7

BarneyC
Level 8
Thanks for the tip. Tried at 1402 & 1302 bios all with cleared CMOS (i.e. stock).

- 1 module in A2, then A1 (same for all 4 sticks) 8Gb
- 2 modules in A2/B2, then A1/B1 (same for each pair) 16Gb
- 4 modules (fully populated) 32Gb

Modules are all Corsair Vengeance 2666 LPX (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16) bought as 2x8Gb (twice). Given large amount of stress testing for a stable uptime they seem fine. But something is odd at power up.

Machine boots perfectly from cold. BUT a sleep or restart (effectively same thing, no?) results in the post "Surge detected..." message and a 5d.

It's a brand new box (the only old component is a keyboard and a secondary drive). PSU is a EVGA 750W G2 jobbie so more than enough grunt.

Is there some odd bios setting that might need tweaking to get a stable boot for these modules or should it just work? I also presume whatever drivers or issues there are in Windows should have no bearing on this problem.

Any more thoughts?

BarneyC wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Tried at 1402 & 1302 bios all with cleared CMOS (i.e. stock).

- 1 module in A2, then A1 (same for all 4 sticks) 8Gb
- 2 modules in A2/B2, then A1/B1 (same for each pair) 16Gb
- 4 modules (fully populated) 32Gb

Were you able to resume from sleep during any of those steps?

Nope. Each one results in the power surge notice. I contact EVGA who instantly said swap the PSU out just in case, so I've done that and popped back to the store. New supply and the problem is still there.

There is mention of C states and such over on TomsHardware where I cross posted the question (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2980448/asus-hero-viii-alpha-wake-problems-code.html#175457...) so I'm hunting through the manual now for references and ideas.

Just a suggestion from a novice (working similar w10 problem on one of my pc's) to perhaps get some more clues.
start> type in "event viewer". check the summary of admin events. click the + sign next to CRITICAL , if there are critical events logged then the most recent will be there. Double click on it will bring up history of same events. Highlight one, most recent? and on right side select event properties. Repeat selection if more than one code for other critical events.
Perhaps the timed sequence may also help

Broadly there appears to be something of a common issue here. For now I have disabled sleep and reverted to hibernate - whilst disabling pause for F1 on error.

Still looking for resolution.

BarneyC wrote:
Nope. Each one results in the power surge notice. I contact EVGA who instantly said swap the PSU out just in case, so I've done that and popped back to the store. New supply and the problem is still there.

There is mention of C states and such over on TomsHardware where I cross posted the question (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2980448/asus-hero-viii-alpha-wake-problems-code.html#175457...) so I'm hunting through the manual now for references and ideas.

Test your system with another PSU preferrably from another brand. See if you can borrow one from a friend or perhaps take your system down to a PC repair store and have them test your system with another PSU.