cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with PC at boot: It turns itself off... On the first boot. (?)

Manuel-278
Level 7
Hello everyone:

I'm experimenting this odd issue since I updated the Bios to the version 1402 from 1302. Basically, everytime when I turn off the PC through Windows, the next time that I turn it on, it will shut itself off when it's about to load de OS (It passes the POST and it won't give me a warning or error at all); It does that and I won't turn on again, unless I do it... When I turn it on again, this time, it'll boot fine and load to Windows as it used to be, on the second boot try.

Pretty much this is the issue that I have right now. I tried to revert the bios version to 1302, but it didn't help. I also tried the next things: Swap the memory RAM sticks, turn it on and off through the buttons of the motherboard (START), clean the CMOS and load the optimized defaults of the BIOS, unplugh and plug the PSU 24 pin connector, and clean all the RAM and connector slots... But nothing has fixed it...

I'm so confused right now, this is the first time that I have met an issue like this, it's just so extrange...

PC:

i7 6700k Stock settings (I don't know why I think this, but I think this skylake it's causing the issues somehow)
Windows 10
8GB RAM 2666 DDR4
Corsair H1050w PSU

Pretty much this is it, peace!
8 REPLIES 8

Chino wrote:
Does this happen at stock defaults?

Never though about it, let me check...

Chino wrote:
Please do. Clear your CMOS and test.

Ok, so I did everything but nothing. Also, I disabled fast boot and turned on the POST display insteand of the Asus Logo: I realized that the PC turns itself off when the Windows 10 logo comes out and it's about to load it, I'm pretty sure this is not longer an issue related to the BIOS nor motherboard but to Windows itself...

I'll try to search more...

I made it to fix it: The troublemaker is Windows 10 Power settings!

According to this site:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1249132-windows-10-powers-down-on-boot-after-shut-down/

And the user: n00b4uM

The problem is present when you have the "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" feature on, in the power settings of Windows. I just turned it off as n00b4uM and now the problem is fixed!

If you're experimenting the same issue, try this as n00b4uM has written:

"I've turned off the fast startup on Windows 10 and it solved the problem to me.

To do it: right click on Start button > Control Panel > Energy Options > "Change what the power buttons do" > click on "Change settings that are current unavailable" (admin required) > Under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box "Turn on fast startup (recommended)". Save the changes (obviously)."

And there we go. Thanks for the help guys!

Chino wrote:
Thanks for posting the solution! 🙂

No problem! :cool:

AKBAAR
Level 9
nice, would love to try it out my own too