cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIII Hero defective?

Mysterie
Level 7
Hey everyone! 🙂

So, I got my new mainboard, installed everything and bootet up my pc, like everyone else.
Played some games with it too, without problems.

A day later I booted it up again, without an error. But every program I looked at was showing me weird cpu temperatures.
Core 1,2 and 4 had temperatures arround 42°c under load. Only Core 3 was hotter with nearly 60°c, even after letting it cool down it was the same, while every other core only had 25°c.

So I thought maybe my thermal paste was bad or something like that, but before I wanted to change it, I restartet my pc.
Well, at least I wanted to. That's where my real problem kicked in.
It didn't boot. No lights, no sound and no qr-code anymore. Like dead.

Plugged my psu off and on again, and by every second try my mainboard shows these red led background light on the left side, but won't start.

Tried to clear cmos, pulled out the battery, tried to recovery the bios, but without any success.

I remembered back, this problem with my hot cores on the cpu. Contacted amazon and they sent me a new cpu. Guess I have to change the mainboard too.
I also noticed, that the capacitor on the left bottom (arround the last pci slot and the sound-chip) is getting really hot.
Means - I plugged in my psu, pressed the start button (which doesn't work anymore, as I descriped above), and noticed temperatures by nearly 60°c there. (shortly after "starting" - 20 seconds or so)

I curios now... what do you think is/was the problem? I'm afraid of starting my pc again with the new components.

Would like to get some thoughts/ideas about that 😮

Edit: Spec

CPU i5 6600k
RAM Trident Z 16 GB (3600mhz)
GPU Asus Strix R9 390
Storage 2x SSD 500GB Vertex 4 (ocz)
PSU RM750x (Corsair - Gold)
32 REPLIES 32

brkkab123
Level 7
Did you install the drivers from the dvd or did you download current ones fro Asus's website? Did you update the UEFI?
If not, do both and see if things improve.

brkkab123
Level 7
Use the drivers off the website, not the dvd. Only use the Sonic stuff and the free year of Kaspersky off the dvd, everything else is newer than the July 2015 dvd is.

Hm, weird. I replied but I can't see my answer.
Well ok, then again.

Yes, I installed every driver before, not from the dvd but from their Asus Homepage.
But as I said, I can't to anything with that mainboard, not even entering bios anymore.

I'm using the Corsair H100GTX AIO for cooling.

Chino
Level 15

Already tried that yesterday.
With and without the rest components.
But even without GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD etc. it won't do anything.
Only sometimes the red leds, that's it.

Mysterie wrote:
Already tried that yesterday.
With and without the rest components.
But even without GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD etc. it won't do anything.
Only sometimes the red leds, that's it.

Did you populate the 8 pin power header on the motherboard during the tests?

Of course I did!
I hope that was not a problem, never learned to do it any different.

It get's the power. At least sometimes.
Doesn't show any other effects with other psu too.

Mysterie wrote:
Of course I did!
I hope that was not a problem, never learned to do it any different.

It get's the power. At least sometimes.
Doesn't show any other effects with other psu too.

So you've tested the system with another PSU? Which PSU was it?