cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74sx , Geforce 560M Driver Issue

legacy03
Level 7
Hello,

I am needing some support with some issues with the laptop Asus G74sx , Geforce 560M.

It was working fine until a few weeks ago, I had Windows 7, then updated to Windows 10, and everything was perfect until the last update of NVidia.

The onboard display just goes blank, no image appears, if connected to an external monitor everything works normally.

I thought maybe it was a Windows 10 bug, so I rolled back to Windows 7, but the issue persists.

I unistalled the driver, all Nvidia software, and then the display would return to function, then I tried install the driver that was made available in the Asus website, but soon the driver got installed the issue returned.

Tried multiple versions, from Driver 311 to 359, and all presented the same issue.

Since I ran out of options I am hoping some light can be brought to this case, since the laptop is in perfect conditions, worked as intended for the past few years, and this is clearly a software issue related to the driver.

Will be waiting for a solution,

Thanks,

Erik R Carlson
12 REPLIES 12

Miliano
Level 9
hi erik, it cant be purely a Nvidia driver issue, especially installing from 311 all the way up to 359. sounds more like a problem in windows itself.
Did you do an "Upgrade to win 10"? this is the type of thing that can happen when people do windows upgrades instead of a clean installs.

have you sourced the drivers direct from Nvidia? if not grab the latest 560M from there and see what happens first.

If no joy, i would personally reinstall windows. but not before i backup all files i want to keep manually, and create a "system image backup".

to do so;

Download win 10 iso (direct from microsoft)

Write down your Windows Product Key.

create an "Installation Disc" by putting the Windows.ISO in on a usb using "windows 7 usb/dvd tool" (again from microsoft)

and then you could either
reset windows and keep your files and settings. (apps get deleted though)
or
Open "Advanced startup" to do some troubleshooting
or
Reinstall windows from usb (clean install) plenty of great guides online like from "how-to-geek"
(I personally recommend to do a clean install instead, as this is the absolute best option to avoid any bugs, but this removes everything)

To refresh or open Advanced Startup from within windows 10,
go to settings/Update & Security/Recovery

Or to do it from the USB,
have the Windows USB plugged in,
Boot into BIOS, navigate to boot/ then click bbs priorities
click the first option and choose the usb drive that you just made
then F10 to save and exit.
it will then reboot, and load the windows install screen, where you can choose to either Advanced troublshooting or install windows.

MOST IMPORTANT - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP EVERYTHING -EXTERNALLY- INCLUDING ALL NECESSARY DRIVERS

C4RN1
Level 9
I would bet that it's an upgrade vs fresh install issue as well. You're better off wiping the machine and going with a fresh install of windows 10.

You won't need a key since you're already activated on windows 10.

If you don't want to take the time to build the iso I have one built on a file share.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZhrn4ZWBypjbNLn1FXOphiVzv7MfN13VVk

This iso is for both 32 and 64 bit windows 10. I've also created a ERD using MSDART from the MDOP2015 kit from technet. It's a very useful tool that everyone should have. This is very hard to find so grab it while you can.

Use Rufus to copy the iso to your usb jump drive and avoid the headache with Microsoft's tools (I thought it was an HP tool).

Good luck and keep us updated!

Miliano
Level 9
im sure you still need the product key to start the installation process...? (for a clean install)

Julskey
Level 10
Well, I have the G74SX-BBK7 (bestbuy edition). I have recently restored my laptop to factory condition, removed bestbuy bloatware and other programs i don't need, then upgraded to windows 10. GPU drivers are the latest and upgraded thru Geforce experience. Try upgrading thru Geforce Experience using external display on your Win10 upgrade.

legacy03
Level 7
legacy03 wrote:
Hello,

I am needing some support with some issues with the laptop Asus G74sx , Geforce 560M.

It was working fine until a few weeks ago, I had Windows 7, then updated to Windows 10, and everything was perfect until the last update of NVidia.

The onboard display just goes blank, no image appears, if connected to an external monitor everything works normally.

I thought maybe it was a Windows 10 bug, so I rolled back to Windows 7, but the issue persists.

I unistalled the driver, all Nvidia software, and then the display would return to function, then I tried install the driver that was made available in the Asus website, but soon the driver got installed the issue returned.

Tried multiple versions, from Driver 311 to 359, and all presented the same issue.

Since I ran out of options I am hoping some light can be brought to this case, since the laptop is in perfect conditions, worked as intended for the past few years, and this is clearly a software issue related to the driver.

Will be waiting for a solution,

Thanks,

Erik R Carlson

--Update:

Clean Install Windows 7 - Didn´t work
Clean Install Windows 10 - Didn´t work
Updated Bios to 203 + Clean Install - Didn´t work

If installing Windows 7 with generic driver laptop screen works with Nividia driver installed.

Obs: Did install the drivers with GeForce experience and without it, both have the same negative result.

What else am I missing?

Julskey
Level 10
One question, does the laptop monitor work before booting into windows? I was assuming this because you said "the onboard display just goes blank". If it cannot display anything when entering BIOS, I suspect it is a hardware problem. Can be caused by GPU overheating causing the board to flex and then maybe cracked the solders of the GPU. It happened on my old hp laptop, the laptop diplay had intermittent color or sometimes, just blanks out, but external display works just fine. Tried to reflow the GPU (heat the GPU with heat gun to try connect the broken solder connections) but problem came again after several days). Probably needs reballing of GPU (cleaning and applying new solder to GPU)

Julskey wrote:
One question, does the laptop monitor work before booting into windows? I was assuming this because you said "the onboard display just goes blank". If it cannot display anything when entering BIOS, I suspect it is a hardware problem. Can be caused by GPU overheating causing the board to flex and then maybe cracked the solders of the GPU. It happened on my old hp laptop, the laptop diplay had intermittent color or sometimes, just blanks out, but external display works just fine. Tried to reflow the GPU (heat the GPU with heat gun to try connect the broken solder connections) but problem came again after several days). Probably needs reballing of GPU (cleaning and applying new solder to GPU)

The laptop screen works when booting and loading but once signing into windows 7-10 the screen goes black but is still lit.

I was thinking the same thing something maybe got loose while opening and closing the screen.

Weird thing is it works if we don't have the Nvidia Experience drivers installed. Like I was able to sign in and everything just had crappy graphics.

Julskey
Level 10
Then, this is clearly a driver problem, or could be that your external monitor is set as default monitor.

First, check your display settings using an external monitor and try to make your laptop monitor as your main screen.

Or, try to uninstall Geforce experience then you can try DDU display driver uninstaller to completely uninstall your current display driver (I've not tried this program yet though, research before using). http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Then, download the latest drivers from NVIDIA here Win10 64bit http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/99514/en-use