cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G752VT pcie ssd upgrade questions, 950 pro or a 951?

tchigozette
Level 7
Hi,

I plain to upgrade the ssd pcie with a 512GB but i have a question.

I've noticed that users are reporting some heat with the samsung 950 pro.

Is it a big problem, because if i'm placing a thermal pad on the chip, it should do the trick, doesn't it ?

I've also noticed a samsung ssd pcie reference SM951-NVME, correct reference for nvme is MZ VPVxxxHDGL = SSD NVMe

The price is cheaper.

So what choice can i do, a 950 pro or a 951 ?

Another question, how can i do a secure erase of ssd pcie raid with this laptop, in the past with another laptop, i've used parted magic, but here, with the latest version, it doesn't detect the ssd pcie ?

Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes the 951 is OEM model 3 year warranty the Pro is the Retail model 5 years warranty and faster.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for your answer.

After some researches, the warranty and chip isn't the best argument to choose a 950 PRO.

If it can help users to make a choice, go to the 950 PRO because samsung delivers an NVME driver for this model, while with the 951, you have to use the native windows driver that got some performances problems.

What i still cannot find is how do complete a secure erase when you have a ssd pcie as primary and only disk, if anyone knows, please let me know.

tchigozette wrote:

What i still cannot find is how do complete a secure erase when you have a ssd pcie as primary and only disk, if anyone knows, please let me know.

Answer just popped in my head. You cannot do a secure erase with it being the only drive or the drive you are running from. Secure erase on an SSD isnt like wiping a spinner by writing 0s and 1s several times over. It sends out a single pulse to all the Vnand resetting them all to zero. Cant be done selectively, its all or none.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes the 951 is OEM model 3 year warranty the Pro is the Retail model 5 years warranty and faster.

Actually it depends on capacity.

The 256GB SM951 NVMe is faster than 256GB 950 pro.
256GB SM951: Seq Read: 2,150MB/s, Seq Write: 1,260MB/s, 4KB Read: 300K IOPS, 4KB Write: 100K IOPS
256GB 950 Pro: Seq Read: 2,200MB/s, Seq Write: 900MB/s, 4KB Read: 270K IOPS, 4KB Write: 85K IOPS

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd950pro/specificatio...
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/client-ssd/MZVPV256HDGL?ia=831

950 Pro also thermal throttles, but I strongly advice you buy an aftermarket heatsink regardless of which one you choose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3GlInzvHr8

JustinThyme
Level 13
The two are actually very closely related.
The 951 came out first and is OEM only. Samsung does not support it at all even though they make it, Samsung software and drivers are not supported either.
The 950 is consumer model and comes with a longer warranty and is supported directly by Samsung and on compatible platforms the samsung software and drivers can be used with it if you like.

The performance on the two are pretty similar. There are no hear issues with the 950, that's a bit of a an incorrectly stated comment by some reviewers and some users that read reviews but never witnessed it. The one difference is the 950 pro will throttle if it gets too hot. If you have it sitting where it gets no cooling and you thrash it continuously for 20 mins once it gets to its thermal limit around 95C it will throttle back to keep it from cooking itself. The 951 will not, it will keep right on at max speed and the temperature will continue to climb up to 110C or more. IMO throttling = good design.

The story of the Samsung driver offering better performance and the native driver suffering is pure conjecture that has been disproven right here many times over. There is no significant difference between the two drivers.

I don't do secure erases on SSDs or drive wipes. All of my sensitive data is stored on external drives that I also do not wipe. I use drive encryption instead with a strong password that would take a very long time to get through using brute force making wipes or secure erases a moot point.

My choice is the 950 Pro simply because the warranty can be taken up directly with Samsung for a much longer period.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

syedsyazani
Level 7
Hello. I'd like to know if the G752VY can support a sata 2.5 inch ssd?specifically the unreleased mushkin 2TB reactor.

Also does the m.2 slot only support NVMEs ssd? And not AHCI?

syedsyazani wrote:
Hello. I'd like to know if the G752VY can support a sata 2.5 inch ssd?specifically the unreleased mushkin 2TB reactor.

Also does the m.2 slot only support NVMEs ssd? And not AHCI?

Cant speak for the Mushkin but a 1TB Samsung 850EVO works perfectly.

As for M2, its NVMe only. Two different protocols that do not support each other in the least.

Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot for all answers it helped me a lot.

Just a quick note for the secure erase SSD, why i want to do this is because i know that performance is time degraded, i've always see that is really recommanded to do a secure erase on SSD every six months to get factory reset performance.

tchigozette wrote:
Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot for all answers it helped me a lot.

Just a quick note for the secure erase SSD, why i want to do this is because i know that performance is time degraded, i've always see that is really recommanded to do a secure erase on SSD every six months to get factory reset performance.

I don't know who recommended this, Id like a read on that. To erase still counts and you do a 0 write on every single nand, even those that were not used and counts as a hit in lifespan degradation. If you are running windows 8.1 or later this is a pointless venture. The old trick of doing a secure erase to restore performance was for Win XP that didn't support TRIM. Then add to that, even though you cant do it, erasing only part of the drive is pointless. Secure erase has but one function as stated in its title, to securely erase the data. So long as you leave unallocated space for over provisioning and set up the trim command to run at least weekly you are all set.