cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus pg279q questions

Janne-71
Level 7
Hello, i have been thinking getting pg279q ips monitor, could some users that have it share their experiences? I've read about panel quality issues ....i have right now Asus vg248qe 144hz which is not too bad but people keep saying it's a huge difference moving from 1080p to 1440p.

Also, currently i have only single 970, would that be sufficient power to run it? Planning to upgrade when Pascal gpus come though.
5 REPLIES 5

Juston_Gold
Level 7
Janne-71 wrote:
Hello, i have been thinking getting pg279q ips monitor, could some users that have it share their experiences? I've read about panel quality issues ....i have right now Asus vg248qe 144hz which is not too bad but people keep saying it's a huge difference moving from 1080p to 1440p.

Also, currently i have only single 970, would that be sufficient power to run it? Planning to upgrade when Pascal gpus come though.

Yes, there is major quality issues with the pg279q. Nearly all of the units are shipping with defective panels. Major back light bleeding and when displaying white color, parts of the screen have a yellow hue to it. I would avoid purchasing the PG279Q at this time. This monitor is a disaster for Asus.

As far as your GTX970, I would say yes, its enough to run 1440p. I have a 980 and its good enough, the 970 isnt much slower.

Juston Gold wrote:
Yes, there is major quality issues with the pg279q. Nearly all of the units are shipping with defective panels. Major back light bleeding and when displaying white color, parts of the screen have a yellow hue to it. I would avoid purchasing the PG279Q at this time. This monitor is a disaster for Asus.

As far as your GTX970, I would say yes, its enough to run 1440p. I have a 980 and its good enough, the 970 isnt much slower.

Hmm. I called to local computer webstore and asked about this monitor and what kind of feedback it has from customers, she checked the database and said nothing special compared to other products. So yea i don't really know what to believe here.

I have been looking dell 2715h also but it doesn't have 144hz refresh and gsync....sucks to be me with these decisions/options :P.

You really think someone trying to sell you something is going to tell you that it sucks?? I think you need to learn that sellers will tell you anything to take your money. You must be very young.

I would strongly advise against buying this monitor. I bought 2, the first one is okay... About to return the second one for the second time.
There is a video on youtube... They tested 20 of these monitors. All of them had backlight bleeding... About 3 of them were acceptable.
This is a disaster for ASUS...

Crashcourse316
Level 9
Janne-71 wrote:

Yes your 970 will run the 1440 resolution just fine. it will not get you 165hz on most games on max settings though. Running Battlefield 4 with max everything gets me about 100-110 with my Dual 780TI's (i can't run the 165 anyways with the 780TI's) I will also be upgrading to the new cards when they come out. The difference in resolution is allso very nice. Everything is clean and crisp. The games are much clearer with smaller objects in the distance. OVerall you will be amazed by the 1440 at anywhere between 90-165hz with the G-sync enabled. smoothest gaming you'll have ever seen.

BUT----- I knew this ahead of what i was getting myself into but I bought an open Box from newegg.com because I wanted to see if I even liked the 1440 at 120-165hz over my 60hz amazing IPS display best color I have ever seen (and I think 1440 at 120 -165 is definitely the way to go). My panel i got is amazing in every way other than I got the yellow tint issue on white or bright colored backgrounds or images. its 99.9% un-noticeable during a game but its hard to ignore when I'm not in a game and I'm just web browsing or doing something which mainly white background. basically the top left of my screen is the most severe and if i take a white image and drag it from the bottom (where it is perfect white) to the top (where its most severe) it is a obvious change in color, we are talking not a minor fluctuation where if you change your angle or blink its questionable..but the kind where your like ....that's straight yellow...

I will be taking my open box item and sending back to Asus as I like this monitor so much I need to get one that doesn't have this color issue. Again its not bad enough to have an issue in game, but it is causing me issue out of game. I could suck it up on this one and just accept my 100$ off from the open box but I work as an IT engineer and i do a lot of white screen work and I don't think I could get over paying 700$ for a half yellow screen. So instead of getting my refund or trying another openbox item through Newegg I'll just head straight to the source and have them send me a new monitor and Ill take my chances there.

I agree with what people are saying about the panels being crappy for the most part. but man if you get the lottery winner of a good panel....Game on.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.