cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What power port does your power adapter use on the ROG G20aj?

elbonians
Level 7
I've been trying frantically to replace a lost power adapter since New Years as posted in this thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83001-How-do-I-replace-a-power-adapter-for-Asus-ROG-G20AJ-...

Five purchases later, it is looking like any cord that fits into the smaller of the computer's two power ports will not actually give me power. Can anyone else say differently? Does the power adapter that came with your computer plug into the smaller or the larger port? Picture for reference. The smaller one being the one on top here:

http://i.imgur.com/JhnDs9g.png

I can still verify that the larger port works by using an adapter for a different computer, also 180W but lower amperage. (It would not be wise to use that one longer than briefly.)

If these port sizes have names, that might help me out. Also if there is some company that would sell me this power adapter specifically with the larger connector, I have no idea who that would be though I'm making some inquiries. Sadly I've been getting the smaller connectors exclusively when I don't specify.

Also, rather than swap the whole adapter, do you think I could successfully use some cheap component to convert the connector to the approriate size?
13 REPLIES 13

rottnpup
Level 8
Are you plugging the power supply into the same port as original? If not you may need to change jumper settings on the motherboard, my original power supply plugged into the larger port and was a 230 watt power supply. I later put in a gtx 980 and added the 180 watt power supply and had to change jumper settings for it to work.

I have never heard of jumper settings, but I take the implication from your comment that it is common, when there are two power ports, for one of them to be switched off? Is that right? And so it would be feasible for me to change it myself without returning yet another power adapter? I thank you very much as this would be crucial information.

I don't know the answer to your question about which one my original adapter used. That is the purpose of my post. I'd like to know which port anyone's working adapter used. But it seems extremely likely that it used the larger one at this point.

I did not want to ever have to open up this case. I read reviews before I purchased it, and the harshly negative reviews often cited the difficulty in making any modifications oneself. But I was getting a big discount and decided, okay, I probably didn't need to upgrade it anyway. This experience has been endless frustration.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
elbonians wrote:
I have never heard of jumper settings, but I take the implication from your comment that it is common, when there are two power ports, for one of them to be switched off? Is that right? And so it would be feasible for me to change it myself without returning yet another power adapter? I thank you very much as this would be crucial information.

I don't know the answer to your question about which one my original adapter used. That is the purpose of my post. I'd like to know which port anyone's working adapter used. But it seems extremely likely that it used the larger one at this point.

Saw your PM elbonians, but thought it would be better to post at your thread to share and get more opinions.

1. The G20AJ models can be using just the 180w adapter, or just the 230w adapter as well as both 180w and 230w AC adapters depending on the video card installed from the factory.
1a. We actually have an FAQ on the ASUS website about this, but I'm showing the G20AJ models use the AC adapters below with corresponding vga cards below:
- 180w Adapter only: GTX745 and 'lower end' vga cards
- 230w Adapter only: GTX750 vga card
- Both 180w+230w Adapters: GTX760 and 'higher end' vga cards

2. You should be able to figure out which AC adapter(s) you need to use for your G20AJ according to your vga card installed, but if you were using the 230w adapter originally, and are now using the 180w adapter, you may see some power-related problems under heavier loads, so something you may want to keep an eye on as well as make sure your 180w adapter isn't getting too hot (it may not last too long as well?).
It's really better and safer to use the 230w adapter if that is what your system originally came with though, so try to arrange this as soon as you can.
2a. You may already know this, but if your system originally came with just 1 AC adapter, you should not need to change jumper settings if you are using another AC adapter of the same wattage.
Most G20AJ customers may be concerned about jumper settings when they want to start using 2 AC adapters instead of just one, but someone may want to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Well, feel free to discuss and hope this helps clear things up some. Thanks.

rottnpup
Level 8

elbonians
Level 7
Thank you for the help. It looks like I'm good. I used this vid to help open the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jazM6KgjaPk

And the 180W adapter I got through ebay for just $35 does seem to work having done that. No issues yet.

rottnpup
Level 8
Glad it worked out for you, the power supply bit is very confusing!

rottnpup
Level 8
Very good points! He may not have enought wattage if he originally had the 230 watt power supply which is what it sounds like he did since he had to change the jumper settings.

elbonians
Level 7
Interesting. I actually have an Intel HD 4600 which must be what you mean by "lower end". Even though the box that Fry's sold it to me in clearly says

VGA: NV GTX750/2GD5

They slashed the price (-$45) one final time before they could sell it to me, and I forget the details of that but I dunno, maybe that was the reason.

Good to know this power adapter should be fine with it. The performance has always exceeded my expectations so I'm not bummed about it.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
elbonians wrote:
Interesting. I actually have an Intel HD 4600 which must be what you mean by "lower end". Even though the box that Fry's sold it to me in clearly says

VGA: NV GTX750/2GD5

They slashed the price (-$45) one final time before they could sell it to me, and I forget the details of that but I dunno, maybe that was the reason.

Good to know this power adapter should be fine with it. The performance has always exceeded my expectations so I'm not bummed about it.

fyi.

As far as I know, all the G20AJ models will come with both the 'discrete' nVidia 'plug-in' vga card as well as the Intel integrated graphics that comes with the cpu, so basically your unit has 2 vga cards if you weren't aware of this.
If you right-click the bottom left-hand corner of your Win8/Win10 desktop and choose 'device manager' in the menu that pops up, expect you should see both the Intel graphics and nVidia graphics under your display adapters, otherwise we may want to look into it more.

The nVidia vga card will be better than the Intel graphics for games, so it's something you want to have on this unit or at least start worrying about if you're not getting good graphics performance with any games or software.