cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme / 5960X OC questions

SneakSnake77
Level 7
Hey there RoGers.
Let me start by saying thank you for the invaluable information nestled away in these forums. I've learned a good amount about the Asus motherboards I use, and the overclocking process in general.

I'm here today for some advice regarding a heavy overclock scheme I've applied to 10 Rampage V extreme 5960X machines. The build:
iStarUSA D-400L-7 4U Server Chassis
Silicon Power S60 120GB SSD
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (PC4-21300) (CMK16GX4M4A2666C15) RAM
i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz Processor
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s Motherboard
EKWB L360 Water Cooling Kit (Triple Radiator, CPU + VRM + PCH monoblocks)

So, these machines are used as Ubuntu Server 14.04 FFMPEG encoding machines. Our particular process dictates that high CPU clock speed is god, and I'm under pressure to keep these machines "Stable" at speeds of 4.6-4.8GHz. In house testing, I'm able to get every single machine to 4.7GHz within reasonable temperature ranges, besides one.
Stability has been hit or miss. Some machines have been running for 14 months + at 4.7GHz without a hiccup. Other machines have been plagued by spontaneous reboots, hang ups, and reboots + "Overclock failed" msg.
So I'd like to post my current O/C settings and get some feedback on what I could tweak to improve stability, what I am doing wrong, etc. I appreciate any feedback in advanced.

Some questions I have:
Are there supporting voltages I need to specify to increase stability?
Are there settings I've left that could use a set value?
Should I always give the option to ofset voltages by a positive value? Should I set that value?
I've not changed any settings in submenus from Auto. Are there settings in the Power Control or other submenus that I should adjust to increase stability or ensure that my machines remain at full capacity when under a full encoding process?
Would an M2 SSD or an additional 16GB RAM improve FFMPEG encode performance?
Ought I upgrade to 2800MHz RAM or try to increase the clock speed on these modules (stability is a concern here)?

Any advice or tips to aid me on my quest for speed and stability are greatly appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Looks good to me in principle... pretty good going to get 10 all up to 4.7

Maybe disable CPU svid support..just to be sure since you are setting manual voltage..

Have you disabled CPU spread spectrum at the bottom of the Extreme Tweaker tab

Maybe in DIGI+ section set CPU current capability high and phases to optimized or extreme

Thanks for the response Arne! I've taken your advice on the SVID support and CPU spread spectrum. My reservations in altering DIGI+ settings are temperature / "wear" related. I see my CPU max out whenever the machines are under a full working load, with core temps in the 70-80 C range. If I were to increase current capability and alter phases, would I run the risk of increasing those top end temps to an unsafe range, or possibly increasing idle temps to a range that will cause some sort of wear over a long term?

Thanks again

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm well to be honest I thought your whole enterprise was a calculated risk kind of deal..

Of course OCingentails risk and the higher the OC and voltage the shorter the lifespan might be. 4.7GHz on these CPUs 24/7 is pretty high.

I see you have cache voltage at 1.3 for 42x this is quite a high voltage for long term use I think. If I were you and was worried about longevity I would tune this a bit further if possible....plenty of CPUs can run 42 at 1.25 or lower for example.

Manual voltage setting leaves voltage at continuous level too at idle the same voltage as load...If you want downclocking/downvolting at idle you would have to set up adaptive voltage.

I don't think the DIGI tweaks I mentioned would result in much more temp.. a bit more at the VRM maybe...

Legolas
Level 9
I think you also need to do additional voltage Vcore (+0.01) do Prime95/Realbench test until you feel it is stable.
For me, I had to increase voltage 1.36..1.37 until it does not hiccups. You cooling solution is good, so I am not worry about heating issues.
I agree with Arne about Digi. Also, make sure your TDP limit to 150 or more.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Just wanted to pop back in with a status update. Since implementing the recommendations in this thread I have had no reboot-failures, and hit my highest Realbench scores on both machines I'm testing on currently. Thank you so much Arne, Legolas for your advice. Glad I joined these forums!

Legolas wrote:
I think you also need to do additional voltage Vcore (+0.01) do Prime95/Realbench test until you feel it is stable.
For me, I had to increase voltage 1.36..1.37 until it does not hiccups. You cooling solution is good, so I am not worry about heating issues.
I agree with Arne about Digi. Also, make sure your TDP limit to 150 or more.

Do not run Prime95 on a 5960X, that will kill your CPU, take my word for it. RealBench stress test is just fine and perfectly real-world test conditions.

Legolas
Level 9
Great news!
Sincerely,
Legolas

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40