cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY 2.5 SSD in SATA Port O not detecting in AHCI Mode.

cchung1263
Level 7
I am having problems switching out my M2 500gb for a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro. The Samsung 850 Pro SSD can boot in right side hard drive bay (Port 3) but will not boot or be detected in left side (bottom looking up) where M2 was located in Port 0. SSD hard drive can be detected in ide and raid mode, but says no bootable disk.

I have windows 10 64 and Asus Bios 206.

Anyone else have that problem and know how to fix it?
4 REPLIES 4

JustinThyme
Level 13
How did you set it up? Sounds like you need to check the sticky for Installing UEFI. If you had your OS on the M2 and clone that disk using Samsung data migration to the new one it should grab it straight away. Just a bit curious as to why you would swap out a drive thats 3-4 times as fast as what you are replacing it with.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
How did you set it up? Sounds like you need to check the sticky for Installing UEFI. If you had your OS on the M2 and clone that disk using Samsung data migration to the new one it should grab it straight away. Just a bit curious as to why you would swap out a drive thats 3-4 times as fast as what you are replacing it with.

I got the hard drive as a Christmas Gift and my C drive was partitioned into 2 smaller partitions and C (OS) was getting full.

I did a clean install. Using Samsung data migration but I couldn't get the ssd to boot afterwards.

Julskey
Level 10
I think what he means is his 2.5 inch will boot fine in the sata 2 bay but will not boot in the sata 3 bay (where the m.2 port is located in g751). Yes, you can try Mr. Justinthyme's suggestion by putting the 2.5 ssd in the sata 3 port together with the m.2 ssd then do a Migration using Samsung software. (note you will need to have your 2.5 ssd's case removed so it can be installed under the m.2 using a 3d printed bracket) https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71609-G751-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked&highlight...

Or maybe you just need some configuration settings in your boot device priorities. You may have to create a new boot option because maybe the old one points to the sata2 port?

JustinThyme
Level 13
cchung1263 wrote:
I got the hard drive as a Christmas Gift and my C drive was partitioned into 2 smaller partitions and C (OS) was getting full.

I did a clean install. Using Samsung data migration but I couldn't get the ssd to boot afterwards.

Can you post up a screenshot of your drive as its installed while booting from the other using disk management?

Should look similar to my C drive. disk 1 without the unallocated space. I added that as over provisioning. You can even do without the recovery partition but the EFI has to be there. This is a direct clone of GPT partitions with the over provisioning added.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein