cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instability detected Questions about Realbench.

Martsmac1982
Level 8
Hi guys,

So I'm having an issue with Realbench shortly after over clocking my 5960x to 4.5ghz.

It says instability detected shortly after displaying the picture at the first part of the stress test, however no blue screen no program crash and it ONLY does this when I select my entire 64GB RAM.

I am able to run the test for 15 minutes with 32GB without fail, (am going to try an hour at 32GB next)

A word on my paging file...I have Realbench running from a non OS drive which DOESN'T have a paging file configured, it is set to system managed and is currently 9GB on my C: Drive only. When gaming and running other benches such as 3DMark Firestrike it completes without fail.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm not very good at this over clocking lark (can't get my head around all the different voltages)!!

Thx in advance

Martin
My Rig.

Caselabs STH10
AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X
ROG ZENITH II EXTREME
64GB G. SKILL DDR4 2800 (F4-2800C15Q2-64GRK)
1 x RTX 3090 WC 24GB
1 x ADATA 2TB 8200 NVME for Games
1 x CRUCIAL 500GB NVME purely for OS
1 x 960GB Crucial SSD for Downloads
5 REPLIES 5

Martsmac1982
Level 8
I am also able to make it all the way through the ROG Realbench "Benchmark" and just uploaded my score as username martsmac, no idea why the program is giving me Instability Detected when I choose my MAX RAM (64GB) though. Weird, anyone got any ideas?
My Rig.

Caselabs STH10
ROG ZENITH II EXTREME
1 x RTX 3090 WC 24GB

mirzet1976
Level 7
You cant take all of RAM for app, windows to need some RAM to work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Martsmac1982
Level 8
Is that the only reason it's throwing up that error then and there is actually no instability at all?
My Rig.

Caselabs STH10
ROG ZENITH II EXTREME
1 x RTX 3090 WC 24GB

Martsmac1982
Level 8
I appear to have fixed it
I set the page file amount for the C drive to a range of 16GB-32GB which is half the physical RAM installed when at max. I have 64 GB installed.
Now I just need to figure out how to get my ram clocked tonits default speed.
My Rig.

Caselabs STH10
ROG ZENITH II EXTREME
1 x RTX 3090 WC 24GB

Nodens
Level 16
If it says instability detected, it means just that. The system is unstable. Why it happens on 64gb load only is because it's at that RAM density load that the issue it's exposed. It means that while using the 64GB profile, RAM contents at some point are not what they were supposed to be.
Instability does not always equal a stop error (aka blue screen). A stop error only happens when the OS kernel realizes something is horribly wrong and halts everything in order to protect your data from corruption (although sometimes its already too late). You can always have subtle instability such os memory corruption on specific loads that doesn't occur in kernel space or doesn't produce a memory page read/write error. The system will not blue screen in these cases but your data will be corrupted.

That said you're running 64GB which is very high density and most CPU IMCs will struggle when highly overclocked. Try increasing IMC and DIMM related voltages. But first of all make sure you can pass the stress test at stock clocks with the 64GB option.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.