ROG Member Array

RVE keeps changing the 1st priority boot drive on its own

Every time I restart my computer it keeps switching my boot drive from my SSD to one of my storage drives. When I go into the BIOS to change it (under Hard Drive BBS Priorities) so that my SSD is the 1st priority it only works temporarily. It changes back to my 7th SATA drive (a non-boot storage hard drive).

Furthermore, mysteriously, when I change the boot's 1st priority in the BIOS and then press F10, the confirmation message incorrectly says that I haven't made any changes to the BIOS.

I have tried many many different combinations of settings related to Secure Boot, CSM, UEFI, Boot Device Control, etc., etc., including putting them all on Legacy Only. I also tried disabling Fast Boot.

I've had this motherboard for over a year and this problem only started when I updated my BIOS version from 1001 to the latest one. But I took pictures of all my BIOS settings before the update and made sure to change them back to the way they were the whole last year it was working fine. I even double checked to make sure they ARE indeed the same settings I had before.

To be specific, the settings I had which were working fine for an entire year are:

CSM submenu:

• CSM: Enabled
    • Boot Device Control: UEFI and Legacy OPROM
    • Boot from Network Devices: Legacy only
    • Boot from Storage Devices: Legacy only
    • Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices: Legacy only

Secure Boot submenu:

• Secure Boot state: Enabled
    • Platform Key (PK) state
    • OS Type: Windows UEFI mode

I have Windows 7 x64. I have no idea if I have Secure Boot or UEFI, though, but again I have tried all the different settings. Nothing helps.

I even booted up a live installation of Linux Mint and used gparted to verify that none of my other drives have the "Boot" flag. They do not. The only drive with the Boot flag is my SSD which has my Windows 7 installation on it.

I have not added or reconnected or disconnected or changed or altered in any way whatsoever any of my drives or my operating system since the BIOS update. Not even a Windows Update. Nor have I changed any other settings in my BIOS compared to my old version.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Aelius; 02-25-2016 at 08:59 AM.

ROG Member Array

I'm using this motherboard for a couple of weeks, just tried BIOS 1801 and 1902 but I'm back in 1801 (1902 seemed worse performance).

And that boot drive priority is something weird that I've also found in my system. After a cold restart, I have to enter BIOS and select again my boot priorities. When pressing F10 BIOS says that I've made no changes.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro X64 installed in an M.2 drive.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

I'm using the 1902 BIOS and I haven't experienced the problem you're describing. Can you list your complete system specifications for me?

Hello

Changing the boot order is not flagged as a UEFI setting change so the message can be ignored.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Qwinn PC Specs
    Qwinn PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme - BIOS 3301
    Processor5930K @ 4.4 GHz Adaptive 1.27v / 4.2 Ghz cache Offset +0.27v / Input 1.92v / LLC7
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 32gb DDR4-2666Mhz 15-15-15-35-CR2 1.2v at XMP settings
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Gaming G1 980Ti OC to 1455Mhz Core 8000Mhz memory at Stock Voltage
    Graphics Card #2Gigabyte Gaming G1 980Ti SLI
    MonitorROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Intel 750 PCIe 1.2TB
    Storage #2Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate (360" rad AIO)
    CaseThermalTake v71 Full Tower
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2
    Keyboard Saitek Eclipse II
    Mouse Razer A5090 Master of Destiny
    OS Windows 10 Professional 64 bit Build 10586

Belarc Advisor is a great program that will tell you if your install is UEFI, as well as pretty much everything else possible about your system, and it is free.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    I'm using the 1902 BIOS and I haven't experienced the problem you're describing. Can you list your complete system specifications for me?
    Windows 7 x64
    Rampage V Extreme
    i7 5820k
    4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2400
    EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W
    Samsung 840 EVO (1TB)
    HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB (x3)
    WD Black 4TB
    EVGA GTX 780 FTW (x2)

I've flashed back to the old BIOS (v 1001) that worked fine for the whole past year, so I'll test it out and post back here to say if it's fixed or not.
    Last edited by Aelius; 02-26-2016 at 03:40 AM.

ROG Member Array

After several days of going from the 1902 BIOS back to the 1001 BIOS, I can confidently say that the 1902 BIOS was at fault. I have had absolutely zero boot issues so far, despite many opportunities for them to occur. If I had had the 1902 BIOS the last few days I would have suffered from multiple of the aforementioned boot issues, based on my experience with the 1902 BIOS and the sorts of things that led to issues.

Needless to say, I did not change any BIOS settings upon transitioning back to 1001, just as I had not changed anything the first time from 1001 to 1902. The settings have been the same all throughout, but only 1902 gave me nonstop boot issues and only 1001 has given me an entire year (plus the last few days again) of no issues whatsoever.

ROG Member Array

As said above, I can confirm that this issue is present also in 1801 BIOS.

ROG Enthusiast Array kaese PC Specs
    kaese PC Specs
    MotherboardX99 Rampage V Extreme
    Processor5820K

Quote Originally Posted by JoseT View Post
    As said above, I can confirm that this issue is present also in 1801 BIOS.
    I am experiencieng the same problem with BIOS 1801 - Its driving me crazy, sometimes.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

I've seen the same on RVE and X99 Pro, but it usually coincides with a change - adding a DVD drive, hard drive or an error.

May very well be a BIOS issue on top of this, but you might want to double check you aren't seeing any SMART errors from your drives that might make the BIOS think that a drive is gone even if momentarily.