cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden shutdown in games with factory OC & SLI

cars10
Level 8
I bought two 980 TI Strix Factory Overclocked cards.
I run them together in SLI and set to a custom "My Profile" professional mode overclock with the boost clock set to 1317MHz (the factory rated overclock that the card advertises),
because in the regular simple mode selections (gaming & OC Mode) the card NEVER goes above 1119MHz (I seem to not be the only one who has this problem, also see here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82950-980-ti-sli-bad-behavior)

Anyway, my computer will suddenly shutdown while playing intensive games. It happened more frequently (i.e. after about 10mins of gaming) if I did it with a high personal overclock, i.e. 1400MHz. If I leave it at 1317MHz (rated factory OC), it shuts down after about an hour, sometimes two hours of gaming.

I am now testing it out running it at 1200MHz to see if it still happens.

Temps are 80-83C for the top card and 70-75C for the bottom card.
I've had the computer shut down on me right away upon starting a game (i.e. long before the top card reached 80+C), so I don't think it's temperature related (also nvidia says max temp is 92C for the 980 TI).

I have a feeling somehow the cards aren't stable. But I don't understand why it shuts my PC down?
While testing for the max overclock I could reach with the uniheaven benchmark I hard the driver restart and other problems, but never a sudden shutdown.

Any ideas? Should I RMA the card(s)?

Thanks for any input you guys might have!
5 REPLIES 5

Kotronas
Level 9
are you using cl 4.2?

i am getting black screen on the games and a card throlls to 540mhz on first black screen on second to 405mhz. need to restart pc to get it back to normal. i used DDU yesterday to clean install nvidia drivers and check how it goes will report later.

cars10
Level 8
what is cl 4.2?

Kotronas
Level 9
Corsair link v4.2.

do you have any OC on the CPU/RAM ? i was reading on web and some had similar issue where the motherboard do to the OC had gone to lets say safe mode and droped the PCI-e

cars10
Level 8
Kotronas wrote:
Corsair link v4.2.

do you have any OC on the CPU/RAM ? i was reading on web and some had similar issue where the motherboard do to the OC had gone to lets say safe mode and droped the PCI-e

i do, just the RAM, and its a factory OC too (intel XMP). but i've tried turning that off already

cars10
Level 8
found the problem. it was the PSU. although i had a 1200W PSU, it was 5 years old and had some problem. have a new corsair ax860 and no more shutdowns