cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is asus reworking the PG279Q or was it just temperarely sold out?

Shine
Level 7
Is asus reworking the PG279Q or was it just temporarily sold out? iv been wanting to get this screen for a few months now and i found it on a site in stock, didnt know if should i get it or wait. newegg and amazon are both sold out still.
25 REPLIES 25

Juston_Gold
Level 7
Shine wrote:
Is asus reworking the PG279Q or was it just temporarily sold out? iv been wanting to get this screen for a few months now and i found it on a site in stock, didnt know if should i get it or wait. newegg and amazon are both sold out still.

Amazon and Newegg have stopped selling it due to the shear amount of returns they got, which they had to pay for return shipping. The monitor is a complete failure. It is still shipping from Asus with defective panels.

Any suggestions for a monitor? similar to it? like the MG279Q?

Shine wrote:
Any suggestions for a monitor? similar to it? like the MG279Q?

The MG279Q is a freesync monitor. If you are a nVidia user, you should get one with gsync support.
There are 2 very similar Acer models, however, these also had serious quality issues.

I purchased an open box pg279q. My current monitor is a 1920x1200 60hz IPS, switched to this monitor and the picture quality is awesome, no dead pixels, no game play issues with refresh rate or anything. BUT I have a color issue on mine on about the top 3rd of my monitor. I have almost no bleeding brown effect on a black screen, very satisfied with that but the top 3rd of my screen as you move up gradually has a increasing yellow tint. It is 99.9% un-noticeable while playing a game. Only time I really notice is while I'm not in game. Any white or bright solid colors are effected. if im browsing the web or have my word documents open or anything of the sort with a white background there is a clear and severe yellow tint in the top left corner and becomes less severe to non-existent at about the halfway point down the monitor.

What I will be doing is an RMA through ASUS I believe until I get one that isn't a pooper with that color tint. Monitor is outstanding otherwise. Since there are only Open box Monitors available right now through Amazon and Newegg I will take chances with RMA through ASUS. If you want to take a chance with an Open Boxed monitor through Newegg feel free to but be 100% prepared to be getting a monitor with coloring or bleeding issues because I don't believe Newegg even tested the returned one they sent me.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Legolas
Level 9
Hi Shine,
You can get PG278Q and get 1ms refresh rate and 2560x1440 resolution. It does not have IPS, so minimum backlight bleed. 🙂
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
Hi Shine,
You can get PG278Q and get 1ms refresh rate and 2560x1440 resolution. It does not have IPS, so minimum backlight bleed. 🙂

I feel like every post I have seen you make is telling someone to buy the PG278Q...its completely different technology. In my opinion if you are buying a 2k or 4k resolution monitor TN panels are not the way to go at this time. with the ASUS and ACER failure of shipping out this AU optronics panel, there will be someone (dell, or other) that is going to make sure they get a good panel and it will be the same price as these are but they work. What I have done is return all four of my bad Asus PG279Q's and 1 of the Acer equivalent, and bought a $250 1080p Asus 144hz TN panel monitor while I wait for the "not broken" version of the IPS 144hz(165z) panels. The difference you will see with the resolution increase will only bring down your frame rates while you wish you could have an IPS panel that was good. so just save yourself the extra $$$ and buy a short term solution that will satisfy you until the new IPS panels are out.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
I feel like every post I have seen you make is telling someone to buy the PG278Q...its completely different technology. In my opinion if you are buying a 2k or 4k resolution monitor TN panels are not the way to go at this time. with the ASUS and ACER failure of shipping out this AU optronics panel, there will be someone (dell, or other) that is going to make sure they get a good panel and it will be the same price as these are but they work. What I have done is return all four of my bad Asus PG279Q's and 1 of the Acer equivalent, and bought a $250 1080p Asus 144hz TN panel monitor while I wait for the "not broken" version of the IPS 144hz(165z) panels. The difference you will see with the resolution increase will only bring down your frame rates while you wish you could have an IPS panel that was good. so just save yourself the extra $$$ and buy a short term solution that will satisfy you until the new IPS panels are out.

The EIZO Foris is shipping with AU optronics panels as well, also 144hz... These monitors are not plagued by these issues.
I'm almost convinced that the issues are related to the design of the casing/frame of the PG279Q. Asus is using a special version of the panel to enable this super slim bezel.

Heini
Level 11
For what it's worth I'm using an MG279Q with a TitanX SC and having no complaints. Some older games work better with Vsync enabled but not on the newer games.

avbd
Level 7
I've been looking to upgrade from the VG248QE to the Swift and I was hoping with the release of the 79Q ASUS would have corrected the QC problems. What is the deal? The original 78Q had the same amount of problems with an untold amount of returns and it was deemed a failure. Instead of learning from their mistake, ASUS has done the very same thing with this new monitor and even managed to take it up a degree. I apologize for venting. I'm an ASUS fan tried and true and I've been using ROG products for a long time and they've always been top notch. I just don't understand how an $800-1k monitor can have so many issues and how any of these monitors receive their QC passed stickers.