Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    alkaline

G73JW-A1 Speaker Pop

Recently got the ASUS G73JW-A1 and noticed the speakers popping right before a sound plays. Its a static or pop that occurs when the speaker is about to play a sound and it hasn't been used in a while. It is also noticeable on startup, when the speaker pops before the windows startup sound.

I've installed the R2.54 drivers from the Realtek website, uninstalled it, reverted back to ASUS default drivers. Didn't solve the problem. The only solution I've found is disabling the Realtek HD Audio Manager from starting up.

Are there any more permanent solutions to this issue or is ASUS working on this at all? I noticed there were others having the same issue in the G73JW owner's lounge on notebookreviews.

Spunkgamer
    I have the g73jh so i'm only guessing here but did it come with creative audio software on it? If so look here http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...-g73jh-13.html

Are you still experiencing the speaker pop issue?

eeeyyyeee
    I'm experiencing this problem too. is that notebookreview linked solution a good one or what? is it a lack of win7 compatbility that's the issue here?

Quote Originally Posted by eeeyyyeee View Post
    I'm experiencing this problem too. is that notebookreview linked solution a good one or what? is it a lack of win7 compatbility that's the issue here?
    What BIOS version are you running on your Notebook?
    You can view this information with CPU-Z
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    The BIOS Version is under the Mainboard tab

Make sure you are running the latest Audio drivers

Brian@ASUS
    were your g73 with the popping issue purchased from bestbuy or elseware?

jljtgr
    I've sort of experienced similar except I only hear the pop on the corner audio jack. The laptop speakers either don't exhibit it or cover it up compared to headphones.

More or less the pop occurs when Windows hasn't played any sound for approximately 11 seconds. It's as though it's powering down the device. The pop will occur again when trying to play a sound again for the first time after the "power down" pop. The audio device's driver claims it's always in power state D0, however. (Fully on)

Often enough I'm playing WinAMP or something when I have my headphones on, so it never gets to do the "power down" pop and it doesn't bother me much. I just thought I'd bring up a "me too" post.

G73JW-A1 (TigerDirect)
    Fully clean install of Windows 7 x64
    6.0.1.6162 Realtek drivers from the ASUS site
    Original 202 BIOS

Which sort of brings up a question. What exactly are the changes with the 203 BIOS for the JW? I can't find any change-logs anywhere for it.

TeamROG Notebook Member Array Chastity@ASUS's Avatar

The Creative app on the JW is the X-Fi MB2 package, and is Win 7 compliant, so that should not be causing an issue. It sounds like the internal kernel mixer (kmixer) is not initializing properly. I would suggest downloading and installing Microsoft's DirectX update for June 2010, since DirectSound is the system's default playback system. Everybody updates drivers, but forgets about the OS.
    Kicking Ass Since Today

jljtgr
    FYI, since Windows won't easily tell you what version of DirectX you have, if you have:
    C:\Windows\System32\D3DX9_43.dll

You have the June 2010 runtimes installed.

tdeanw

G73JW Popping audio

Chastity solution worked for me. I had terrible popping when I switched from headphones to the speakers or when I started up with the headphones not plugged in. (Logitech G930). I updated the Directx and no more popping.

Thanks a million as it was really starting to annoy me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast