ROG Member Array SwedishDragon PC Specs
    SwedishDragon PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G751JT
    MotherboardASUSTeK G751JT (Intel HM87 (Lynx Point))
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 4710HQ
    Memory (part number)SK Hynix 8GB (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio
    Storage #1SanDisk X300s 128GB
    Storage #2HGST TravelStar 7 K1000 1TB
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder 3.5g
    Headset ATH-m50x
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Network RouterNetgear
    Accessory #1 Seagate Expansion Mobile 2TB

Question Should I update Drivers? (Sound) [Realtek HD Audio] [Solved]

I have a G751JT with Windows 8.1, and i have noticed the common problem with crackling after ~10 sec idling, and changing the "Power Managment" in RegEdit seems to have solved that problem. I have another problem though: When i mute the sound while using my ATH-m50x headphones, i hear some (most often pretty faint, but still audible) "white" noise in the background, which disappears if i "unmute" again. Might anybody know as to why this happens?

I seem to have no problems otherwise (i don't use MaxxAudio or anything like that, only the regular Realtek HD-sound configuration "wizard", with no extra settings). Now, the thing is that my current driver version is "7335" and the latest seem to be "7432", and i'm a bit reluctant to update the driver since when it comes to drivers, i've learned that the classical "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"-saying is more relevant than ever (when it comes to drivers), the noise generated when muting sound is relativately minor, and i almost never use the built in speakers, so there almost seems like there is no reason to update.
    Does anybody have any input on whether an update would only be beneficial, or if it can possibly induce problems? (NVidia graphic drivers are a perfect example of new drivers possibly inducing problems.)

I know at least the first issue (which i also gratefully found the solution for) have already been talked a lot about, not sure about the other, but after going through numerous threads and pages on this forum that have to do with this subject, i still feel pretty confused, hence the new topic. I'm thankful for any help.

EDIT: Forgot about this thread, but i've had no issues to speak of after updating as of yet.
    Last edited by SwedishDragon; 10-24-2016 at 06:00 PM.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array toronto699 PC Specs
    toronto699 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752-VY-DH78K , G751-JYDH72X
    MotherboardRog Tytan G30AB
    Processori7-4770K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gold20th GTX980Ti
    Sound CardDell X-Fi Audigy SoundBlaster
    Monitor3 Acer K272HL
    Storage #1118 GB/OS
    Storage #22.72 TB
    CPU CoolerIntegrated Liquid-Cooled CPU
    CaseG30AB
    Power SupplyAsus 700 Watt
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse Razer Diamond Back
    Headset Sony Studio Professional , Razer Seiren Mic
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly
    Headset/Speakers Logittech 5.1 Z-5500
    OS W 10
    Network RouterSagemon Fast 5250 Hub 2000

when ever I install drivers I always make a windows restore point , so if the new driver is not as good as the previous driver I can easily go back to the original driver I had. as for updating that's up to you but when I see a new driver for my machine I try them out ,, some times they are better or no difference

SwedishDragon PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G751JT
    Headset ATH-m50x
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Network RouterNetgear

Quote Originally Posted by toronto699 View Post
    when ever I install drivers I always make a windows restore point , so if the new driver is not as good as the previous driver I can easily go back to the original driver I had. as for updating that's up to you but when I see a new driver for my machine I try them out ,, some times they are better or no difference
    That's actually a really good idea.

SwedishDragon PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G751JT
    Headset ATH-m50x
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Network RouterNetgear

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by toronto699 View Post
    Update completed. I've not encountered any issues yet and the white noise while mute seems to actually be less prevalent now, but i'll have to give it some time.

One weird thing though was that i still had to disable the Power Management setting in RegEdit, something that (IIRC) the newest driver should have done automatically (aka. by default), but i thought that maybe the new driver just switches the setting, assuming that most people would have either not done it manually, or would just go and do it again. This speculation is of course dependant on if the newest driver was actually supposed to fix that problem.

I'll let people know if i run into any issues that seem to be connected to updating the Realtek HD Audio driver, but for now, thanks for the help!

EDIT: Forgot about this thread, but i've had no issues to speak of after updating as of yet.
    Last edited by SwedishDragon; 10-24-2016 at 05:59 PM.