cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multi fan connection suggestions

drop4205
Level 12
I am looking into doing a watercooled build with a 560 with 4 3pin fans and a 480 with 8 3pin fans and 3 more case fans. I want to connect the 8 fans on the 480 to cpu header and have bios or speed fan control them. I keep looking at fan hubs and most are just sata or molex for full speed with no connection t motherboard. I am wondering if there is a hub out there thats powered by sata or molex and can connect 8 fans but be controlled by one header or am I going to have to go to a connector like this Evercool EC-DF001 17.72" Supports 5 PWM Fans Black Braided Cable and do 4 fans to cpu and 4 fans to cpu optional?

Looking for ideas as you search for multi fans to motherboard and nothing really comes up other than the y splitters for 2 fans or full power hub off molex with no control of the fans thru bios.

I know I can use my lamptron fan controller but I want a clean look with no bays used in case. Thanks

thanks
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11
7 REPLIES 7

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
I use a Phanteks PWM splitter. It takes the PWM signal from the CPU header (or any other fan header for that matter) and feeds it to 6 other fans which can be standard DC fans. The splitter is powered by a SATA lead so you don't need to worry about overloading the mobo header. Plus you can save on the cost of your fans because you get PWM control using standard fans. Of course this only does 6 fans and you require 8, but maybe you could get two of them? They're pretty cheap to buy.
http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html

Alternatively try altering your search term to something like "PWM splitter" or "PWM hub", it might give you better results?

drop4205
Level 12
Something like this may do the trick? http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002702 or this?http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter.aspx
The question Is that I would be using 3pin corsair Af fans so how would that work in a pwm splitter powered by psu?
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

drop4205 wrote:
..... The question Is that I would be using 3pin corsair Af fans so how would that work in a pwm splitter powered by psu?

In that case the Phanteks hub I linked you to above could be perfect. It takes a 4 pin lead from the CPU fan header (included in kit) and splits it to six fans. I see that there is also I cable splitter included in the kit that I linked, therefore you could run all eight fans from the one unit.

drop4205
Level 12
nice thanks for the help

kkn
Level 14
get a fan controller, that way you will controll the fan speeds so they aint staying on 100% all the time even under idle.
get an inline temp probe ( or 2 or 3 depends on you ) and connect them to the controller ( must be LCD to get temp on it ) so that way you can controll the temp on the water a bit more.
and the fans so you dont have to listen to the fan noise when the pc is idle when you are browsing or if the pc is not in use.

drop4205
Level 12
Went with Thermaltake fans for my venture into doing a custom loop. Here is the 30mm 360 rad with all fas soldered to one connection to go into 6xt fan controller. I am using a 280 60mm rad in front all in the 760d case. Its going to be a fun build

grassy
Level 12
I just purchased one of these and can attest to its quality http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-x-station-power-extension-i-male-version-orange.html
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE