cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL752VW - Re-load Win10 Issues (minor)

ccmcc
Level 7
Just purchased a GL752GW and blew away the "Factory OS" and re-installed Win10 home from my Retail Win10 USB.
Everything went perfectly and I am quite impressed with the performance of the "clean" OS on this system.
It boots to the login screen in 7 seconds!!!.

Minor issue - when I use the Windows BIOS flash utility to update the BIOS it gives me an error statement the the app can only be used on an ASUS Laptop.
Not a big deal I just used the BIOS update tool.
However, it makes me wonder what key/registry entry the app was looking for to validate that it was an ASUS laptop.

So, could someone let me know what the values are in their HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation please.

I would like to test a theory if the missing key/registry entry is there.

Also, a link to the ASUS log BMP being use would be nice too.

Thanks,

CCMCC
10 REPLIES 10

noyan00
Level 7
Did you installed the ATKDriver? If you install it probably it will recognize that this is an Asus.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Curious to know what actual performance gains you got (not boot to log in, has nothing to do with performance) from the "Clean Install" after "blowing away" the image on the disk that it came with. Let me guess, you have no recovery partition either.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Gps3dx
Level 12
@JustinThyme - Have I understood correctly that you got multiple G752/1 ?
i'm curious to know if you made benchmark comparision between Asus OEM windows compared to freshly installed windows.
as the OS has so much different drivers, I don't think any comparison can be "fair" enough to claim either way.
what is certain that, at least with win10, that a clean install solves many "upgrade-from-win7/8" issues, and you got the privilege to block MS keylogger even before you get into the desktop for the 1st time ( which is only possible with fresh installation ).
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

1. The GL752VW came pre-loaded with Win10 Home.
2. No, I did not do any benchmark tests to compare ASUS OS load with a clean install of WIn10.
3. Yes, I did load the ATK Driver - the only driver I had to load from the ASUS website. The rest I just told the ? ones to check the internet for updates.
4. I do not have multiple G752/1 loaptops - only one GL752VW.
5. Gps3Dx - thanks for the guides. I saw them previously.

Can anyone tell me their entries in OEM Information in the registry?

Thanks,

CCMCC

ccmcc wrote:

Can anyone tell me their entries in OEM Information in the registry?

Thanks,

CCMCC

My laptop is off right now so I can't remote into but if nobody posts the info before the time I get home tonight I'll help you out.
GL552VW-DH71 Win 10
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

Gps3dx wrote:
@JustinThyme - Have I understood correctly that you got multiple G752/1 ?
i'm curious to know if you made benchmark comparision between Asus OEM windows compared to freshly installed windows.
as the OS has so much different drivers, I don't think any comparison can be "fair" enough to claim either way.
what is certain that, at least with win10, that a clean install solves many "upgrade-from-win7/8" issues, and you got the privilege to block MS keylogger even before you get into the desktop for the 1st time ( which is only possible with fresh installation ).

Yes I have multiple machines but I'm not going to do a fresh install to end up back as square one as the proof is seen simply by looking at multiple posts of benchmark results of the same models to see there is no performance improvements gained from a fresh install. One machine was upgraded from Win7 and another from 8.1 with zero issues. If I had problems that could not be solved by upgrading then I may consider the fresh install route bit with a G74sx, G751JL and G751JY the upgrade went perfectly.

Key logger can be not enabled on the initial setup of the machine or after. Settings>privacy>general>Set "send Microsoft information about how I write" to off. Then there is another while you are there scroll down to speech, inking and typing and click "stop getting to know me. Personally my laptop isn't a hot bed of illegal activity and I've never heard of any privacy violations as a result. I'm not about to bother reading their 17,000 word privacy statement and try to digest it either. If they really wanted to "spy" on you its not going to be overtly, the source code will be well hidden in the kernel.

Two differences between fresh install and factory image. With a fresh install you have to go through issues just like this post, download the proper drivers, hope that you were smart enough to save a copy of the support folder to get software that is not on their website or use the factory image and remove what you don't want with something like CC cleaner that not only removes but wipes all traces in the registry as well that is a lot faster.

In the end there is no difference in performance if you take both directions to the same state and if you are really worried about a conspiracy theory that M$ is watching you it would be better not to install any of their OS's and go with a Linux distro instead but good luck with drivers for that!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

check attachment. I have a GL552VW but just change the model
GL552VW-DH71 Win 10
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

dansan - thanks for the screenshot.
I had already re-created most of the entries on you SS.
I used a ROG logo i downloaded so basically it is only the HelpCustomized and Support URL that i was missing.
No big deal.

It was only a minor question to start with.
I used the BIOS update utility to update the BIOS.

The only thing now that is the "sand in the oyster" - is the keyboard backlit issue.
And yes, I could kill the password.. but should i have to?

I'll just wait for ASUS to do something.... so what, another 5 years?

ROG Rocks!

CCMCC

ccmcc wrote:
dansan - thanks for the screenshot.
I had already re-created most of the entries on you SS.
I used a ROG logo i downloaded so basically it is only the HelpCustomized and Support URL that i was missing.
No big deal.

It was only a minor question to start with.
I used the BIOS update utility to update the BIOS.

The only thing now that is the "sand in the oyster" - is the keyboard backlit issue.
And yes, I could kill the password.. but should i have to?

I'll just wait for ASUS to do something.... so what, another 5 years?

ROG Rocks!

CCMCC

glad i could help.

well the backlight for the keyboard is controlled by that ATK driver. I downloaded the updated one from the GL752 so my GL552 could have backlight on boot. maybe try that? not sure if it just doesnt want to install?
GL552VW-DH71 Win 10
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M