cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501JW NVMe M.2 SSD Support?

Griffiths
Level 7
Hi.

Does Asus G501JW support the NVMe M.2 SSD?

I got the Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD NVMe (MZ-V5P256BW) but can't see it in BIOS or even recognised as a connected device in windows.

I have seen on the forum that others had similar problems on the G7XX models and GL552VW models. I tried all the recommendations (update bios, etc.) from those posts but wanted to know if there is a solution for G501 or G501 doesn't support NVMe drives?

Would be grateful for any help.
Thank you in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

Tomsbalodis
Level 7
Hi there i have the same problem dod you find any solutions?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Like some of the GL notebook models looks like the G501JW will use either SATA3 M.2 SSDs or PCIE M.2 SSDs, but not both, so you want to figure out which one your unit supports first.
If you are able to, send me a Private Message to cl-Albert with your serial number to check, but you may not have enough posts yet to be able to do this.
I may worry a bit too much, but it's a little safer for you if you don't post your notebook serial number for others to see.

Not sure how this will work, but another idea is to check with your local ASUS support to see if they can help you check this.
Hoping they are able to do this now, but if they can't, you can always update your post to increase your number of posts?
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs?_...497.1449686018

@Tomsbalodis

I returned the M.2 SSD and I got a new one, as supposedly I was given a broken unit.

I didn't have the time to try and install the new one yet. But researching I got the feeling that it depends on the mother board as cl-Albert mentioned.

@cl-Albert

I will manage to get enough posts to send you a PM if I find that the new SDD also isn't working/recognized, just to be sure if I need to buy a supported M.2 SSD.

cl-Albert
Griffiths wrote:
@Tomsbalodis
@cl-Albert

I will manage to get enough posts to send you a PM if I find that the new SDD also isn't working/recognized, just to be sure if I need to buy a supported M.2 SSD.

Griffiths,

fyi.
Haven't had a chance to check into it more with others on my end, but recently another ROG forum member was able to send me a PM after just 2 posts, so not sure if you need to meet a quota anymore if you want to try.

Always curious if your local ASUS support is able to help with this too though if you have the interest.

Thanks.

J have purchased a 950 Pro 512 but it's not detected in BIOS and I tried to boot from USB Windows 10 Setup even Windows Setup dose not detect it too.
Any Solution?:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

JustinThyme
Level 13
Please see CL Alberts post above. You most likely have the motherboard that does not support NVMe and will have to use a SATAIII M2 drive like the Samsung 850 EVO M.2

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Please see CL Alberts post above. You most likely have the motherboard that does not support NVMe and will have to use a SATAIII M2 drive like the Samsung 850 EVO M.2

I have ASUS G501JW witch in spec says is suppport PCIE x4 😞

cl-Albert
ashkansb wrote:
I have ASUS G501JW witch in spec says is suppport PCIE x4 😞

Which spec page or website did you check?
If your reseller posted the spec. on their website, you may want to discuss more with them.

The ASUS website only posts general information for the G501JW model, so you would not want to use it for the specific G501JW unit that you purchased since not all G501JW units will have the same kind of M.2 SSD support.

If you prefer to send me a PM at cl-Albert with your serial number, I can check it on my end too, or you may want to check with your local ASUS support to see if they can tell you. Thanks.

Not sure if you've solve this yet. I have a G501vw, a tech from Fry's electronics said that it doesn't support the samsung NVMe m.2 950 so I purchased a v-nand 850 m.2. Is this accurate?

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread just thought it's a similar question.