cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BIOS MODDING] NVMe support for Asus G751JT

rcarlos243
Level 7
I am trying to mod the Asus G751JT 202 BIOS (the one that has max x37 multiplier and x35 to all cores) to have support for NVMe.

I removed the sata driver module and inserted the compressed NVMe module as suggested by the developer.

The problem is I can't flash the modded BIOS.

link to NVMe BIOS Guide: http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Se...

With winflash /nodate I got an error "invalid BIOS file."

I tried researching the Asus USB FLashback to initiate BIOS crisis recovery to flash the modded BIOS, but can't find any documentation or working method for it (the CTRL + Home method doesn't work on newer models)

I also tried Flashing modified AMI Aptio UEFI using AFU with AFU modified.rom /P /B /K and AFU modified.rom /GAN but I got an error "ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size." Also tried the AFUWINGUI.exe with option Program All Bocks and Do not check ROM ID but I still get "ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size."

I also tried the FTK from -->hardforum.com<-- but I get Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS Space!

any ideas?
18 REPLIES 18

Dreamonic
Level 12
How did you save your current BIOS? Or did you just download one off the ASUS support page for your model and went modifying it? Just use AFUWIN64 to save/dump your BIOS because it removes the CAP header and then modify it with either UEFITool or MMTool and flash it using AFUWIN64. Done!

Hi I have the same notebook as you. I tried modding my bios but now my LAN doesnt work. It seems that my notebook has lost its serial number, uuid, mac address (Realtek Diagnostic software shows FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF). I think this is because I use the bios from the Asus site which does not include those information.

Is there anyway I could insert these information back into the bios? I tried HxD tools but I cant seem to find anywhere that I could edit the information in.

There's a tool for asus motherboard called FD44Editor that would allow entering all the missing information but I cant get it to load my bios. Something about missing boot signature. I'm guessing it only works for Asus Desktop motherboard bios.

Really appreciate any help from experience bios modder in this forum.

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
Interesting.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Dreamonic makes excellent points as usual. Be careful when hijacking the BIOs on a laptop. They are not nearly as easy to recover as a desktop. Pretty much takes complete disassembly to get to the RTC battery.

There has been one member that applied the NVMe BIOS hack to a G751 and got the BIOS to see and NVMe drive and boot from it but in he end the drive would not perform. If memory serves me correctly he got like 800MBps sew read on a drive the consistantly gets 2500MBps sew read on platforms that support it natively. Keep in mind that the chipsets that were being hacked on the winraid forum are desktop platforms.

Not much information available unfortunately on the exact architecture of the HM87 chipset and PCIe lanes dedicated to the M2 interface.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme

Please stop misinformed users in general.
You don't hijack a Bios. Also the RTC Battery won't help you to recover a corrupted bios, you need to take in consideration the non volatile Ram aka NVRAM also and the only solution will be using a EEPROM Programmer. On UEFI bios you have a bootblock recovery part that let you factory flash your bios but need to be careful with that. UEFI bios are pretty annoying in a certain way that contain different modules, when you press power button, you trigger all the modules.

Desktop motherboard can come also with similar specs.

Also they use the exact same chipset, just different revision and different size of MB but since while they use exactly the same component, BGA Soldered, is just a soldered CPU and GPU into the motherboard but nothing differ fromthe desktop general motherboard, they share exactly the same components, same goes for the GPU now.

rcarlos243
Careful with that, if you really want to do it, do a backup of your bios and use correct aptio (V/IV)etc revision tool /mmtool, do a copy of your backup t and do the modification on the second backup one, to inject the NVVME module, you need to check the csmcore part, unfortunately I don't have any Asus at the moment to help you out about which exactly part to mod.
Concerning flash it won't work the way you try, you need to work with a backup of your bios (keep one safe), mod this one, inject module and flash back with the Aptio tool (Afuwingui) basically you save your bios with afuwingui and you flash back with afuwingui, this can work (their is less risk, because the most important block won't be erase, just reprogram the main bios) you don't need to check all the block, bootblock, nvram, etc (can be grey).
Remember that when you try mod a official bios, you broke the signature, so you absolutely need to do the modification with a backup bios, so the flasher won't check any signature.

nab wrote:
JustinThyme

Please stop misinformed users in general.
You don't hijack a Bios. Also the RTC Battery won't help you to recover a corrupted bios, you need to take in consideration the non volatile Ram aka NVRAM also and the only solution will be using a EEPROM Programmer. On UEFI bios you have a bootblock recovery part that let you factory flash your bios but need to be careful with that. UEFI bios are pretty annoying in a certain way that contain different modules, when you press power button, you trigger all the modules.

Desktop motherboard can come also with similar specs.

Also they use the exact same chipset, just different revision and different size of MB but since while they use exactly the same component, BGA Soldered, is just a soldered CPU and GPU into the motherboard but nothing differ fromthe desktop general motherboard, they share exactly the same components, same goes for the GPU now.

rcarlos243
Careful with that, if you really want to do it, do a backup of your bios and use correct aptio (V/IV)etc revision tool /mmtool, do a copy of your backup t and do the modification on the second backup one, to inject the NVVME module, you need to check the csmcore part, unfortunately I don't have any Asus at the moment to help you out about which exactly part to mod.
Concerning flash it won't work the way you try, you need to work with a backup of your bios (keep one safe), mod this one, inject module and flash back with the Aptio tool (Afuwingui) basically you save your bios with afuwingui and you flash back with afuwingui, this can work (their is less risk, because the most important block won't be erase, just reprogram the main bios) you don't need to check all the block, bootblock, nvram, etc (can be grey).
Remember that when you try mod a official bios, you broke the signature, so you absolutely need to do the modification with a backup bios, so the flasher won't check any signature.

Nab

Stop blowing into forums like you are the know all god of electronics, you are not and have misinformed many users already. There is a reason you were laughed out of the alienware forum but Ill leave that one be. Clearing the RTC clock most certainly does often recover a failed BIOS, Ive been doing it for years and recently did it with a G752VY. The memory is NOT NVRAM, Its CMOS and pulliing the battery will reset to default. Are there time when you are just screwed and can not recover AKA bricked in the middle of a flash and cant do anything without the abililty to pull the chip and write to it? Yes. Is that the case all the time, No. In 30+ years Ive only had to pull the chip once..

Can you hack a bios? People do it every day! Perhaps your definition of hack is different than mine. There are entire forums dedicated to BIOS code writing such as your edited C&P above. Are you saying that all those people are wrong and you are right? Get a grip.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Stop being arrogant, where did you see me saying that I know everything ? please don't inverse the role and don't turn this into personal attack.
I said stop misinformed other users, simple as that, because you mostly attack users and think your logic is always the best one.
When did you saw me going to Alienware Forum ? which one you talking about, some with false accusations, I was in contact direct with Alienware managers, not in forum, so before saying non sense, chill and calm down.
Clear CMOS/RTC Battery never recover from a corrupted bios, never, even more when with UEFI/EFI bios.
I'm talking about the NVRAM that hold the previous settings of your bios, corrupted one can damage the Bios boot itself.
and the CMOS won't fix this issue, the only way by using bootlock or EEPROM programmer.
When is corrupt, is corrupt simple as that, your CMOS/RTC Battery is just here to clear bios settings/boot not
to fix your corrupted NVRAM nor Bios. Apparently you have no idea of EEPROM Programmer with clip, you don't need
to pull out any chip anymore on Notebooks/Laptops since while, you can boot on a temporary bios (load from your EEPROM programmer) remove clip and flash back your bios.
Can you hack a bios ? haha, let me laugh at that, people do everyday, yes but you know this void warranty, just in case
Bios code writing, Bios in general are write in Assembly/C, anyway, you don't write bios without proper hardware documentation (one from manufacturer) and without important source code/tool dedicated to this hardware, each band have their own engineer to write the bios, you do can mod/perform change on a bios but you don't write like a applicatio, their is different mechanism that you need to take in consideration, so good luck with that, start with VM and take your time initialize just few functions of your hardware.
Get a grip, not sure if I need to take it first. I don't accuse people to be wrong or right, their is fact, if you want you can play with module, mod them, this is the reason why EFI exist aka Extensible firmware interface, where you module is loaded, but stop saying bios code writing this is a non sense.

I edit because I was correcting my english, didn't add anything else, so again stop your false accusation and spread misinformation

nab wrote:
JustinThyme
Stop being arrogant, where did you see me saying that I know everything ? please don't inverse the role and don't turn this into personal attack.
I said stop misinformed other users, simple as that, because you mostly attack users and think your logic is always the best one.
When did you saw me going to Alienware Forum ? which one you talking about, some with false accusations, I was in contact direct with Alienware managers, not in forum, so before saying non sense, chill and calm down.
Clear CMOS/RTC Battery never recover from a corrupted bios, never, even more when with UEFI/EFI bios.
I'm talking about the NVRAM that hold the previous settings of your bios, corrupted one can damage the Bios boot itself.
and the CMOS won't fix this issue, the only way by using bootlock or EEPROM programmer.
When is corrupt, is corrupt simple as that, your CMOS/RTC Battery is just here to clear bios settings/boot not
to fix your corrupted NVRAM nor Bios. Apparently you have no idea of EEPROM Programmer with clip, you don't need
to pull out any chip anymore on Notebooks/Laptops since while, you can boot on a temporary bios (load from your EEPROM programmer) remove clip and flash back your bios.
Can you hack a bios ? haha, let me laugh at that, people do everyday, yes but you know this avoid warranty, just in case
Bios code writing, Bios in general are write in Assembly/C, anyway, you don't write bios without proper hardware documentation (one from manufacturer) and without important source code/tool dedicated to this hardware, each band have their own engineer to write the bios, you do can mod/perform change on a bios but you don't write like a applicatio, their is different mechanism that you need to take in consideration, so good luck with that, start with VM and take your time initialize just few functions of your hardware.
Get a grip, not sure if I need to take it first. I don't accuse people to be wrong or right, their is fact, if you want you can play with module, mod them, this is the reason why EFI exist aka Extensible firmware interface, where you module is loaded, but stop saying bios code writing this is a non sense.

nab
Arrogance would be best for your view point by taking a look in the mirror. If I don't know something I don't post, simple as that. When I do post its not a guess its 30+ years experience as an engineer. So you go from saying people cant hack a bios, to giving directions to talking about it voids the warranty? Then contradict yourself here by saying you cant write your own bios but simply modify one that's already written? Well if you cant write one then did the one fall out of the sky? in the same post? Whether or not you have to pull the chip or can use a clip is entirely based on what hardware you are using. Some are socketed and a clip cannot be used. I'm not going to pursue or fall into your troll trap but keep in mind that when you post someones name you are in fact making a personal attack. Maybe they don't teach etiquette in your neighborhood.

Ill be the first to admit I don't do BIOS machine CODE, my specialty is in hardware.

warryabel
Level 7
lol...popcorn