cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"CPU Fan Speed Error Detected"

SavageBonez
Level 7
First off let me say hello everyone. This past month I completed my first PC build. That being said, I have a LOT to learn when it comes to PC's. There are a few issues I've been trying to iron out since it's completion but can't seem to figure them out on my own. SO, that bring us to this error message I keep getting upon start up...

Every time I start my PC since it's completion, the BIOS reads, "CPU Fan Speed Error Detected". My setup is as follows: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula, Intel i76700k, an NZXT Kraken X61 CPU Cooler and other stuff that isn't important. I did some surfin' online and found that if you have the the CPU cooler hooked up incorrectly, this could cause that error message to appear. Well, I double check in the manual and everything is where it's suppose to be (four pin CPU cable to four pin CPU_Fan header and three pin pump cable to four pin pump header).

Secondly I read that if you have an aftermarket cooler of any kind, the motherboard it looking to read a stock Intel cooler so the fan speed needs to be set in order to read properly? Something like that. That's where I'm stumped, if that's the case and I do need to set the fan speed, where do I go to do this?

Again, bare with me as I'm a console peasant in the big men's league trying to ball with the best of 'em. I'm struggling to even figure out the BIOS and this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton.
16 REPLIES 16

Nate152
Hello SavageBonez

Welcome to the ROG forum and congratulations on your first build, it's a nice one indeed I have the maximus viii formula too !

In the bios go to the monitoring tab and set the cpu fan speed to ignore, use the CAM software to monitor fan speeds.

Be sure to install the Aura program to control the LED lights.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello SavageBonez

Welcome to the ROG forum and congratulations on your first build, it's a nice one indeed I have the maximus viii formula too !

In the bios go to the monitoring tab and set the cpu fan speed to ignore, use the CAM software to monitor fan speeds.

Be sure to install the Aura program to control the LED lights.

Thank you! It's a gorgeous board. It's really nice to have a board with out a color scheme so you can choose your own with the LED's.

That did it! Thanks a bunch for your help. If you don't mind me asking, why is it that the fan speed needs to be ignored through the BIOS? Do they not detect aftermarket coolers?

Just got all the LED's set up the other day. Speaking of those, is there a way to get the LED's to turn off when you shut the PC down? Both the motherboad's LED's and the NZXT logo on my cooler stay illuminated constantly.

Thanks again.

Heini
Level 11
Unless the X61 is different from my X41 you only need use one connector on the motherboard. The cpu fans run from a splitter from the pump. I've used mine that way on three different boards and never had a problem. Also the MB reads speeds this way but I use CAM anyway.

Heini wrote:
Unless the X61 is different from my X41 you only need use one connector on the motherboard. The cpu fans run from a splitter from the pump. I've used mine that way on three different boards and never had a problem. Also the MB reads speeds this way but I use CAM anyway.

That definitely might be the case but to be honest, the "instructions" that came with the cooler were awful. I'd have an easier time figuring out why my girlfriend gets upset over nothing sometimes. I just connected whatever three cables came off of the cooler based on what they were labeled. The cooler itself is fantastic; keeps the CPU nice and cool. CAM is great as well.

Nate152
Good question and I'm really not sure but for me I don't have anything connected to the cpu fan header and I have to set it to ignore too. My lED's stay on after I shut my pc down too and to get them to turn off I think you have to enable Erp in the bios, this board is still fairly new to me and I'm not sure exactly where it's loacated in the bios but I've seen it in there.

I could go find it if you like. 🙂

Hi Heini !

Nate152 wrote:
Good question and I'm really not sure but for me I don't have anything connected to the cpu fan header and I have to set it to ignore too. My lED's stay on after I shut my pc down too and to get them to turn off I think you have to enable Erp in the bios, this board is still fairly new to me and I'm not sure exactly where it's loacated in the bios but I've seen it in there.

I could go find it if you like. 🙂

Hi Heini !

I've messed with ERP and disabling S5 didn't affect it. Once set to S4/S5, the LED's would go off my my PC wouldn't turn back on at all (oops). So that was the last time I messed around with that. This board is fairly new in general so maybe an update will fix it down the road.

Thank you so much for all your help! I wasn't expecting a response from anyone until at least tomorrow. Seems like a good community here.

Nate152
You should have the pump connected to the W_Pump header and the fans connected to the cpu fan and cpu opt headers or cpu fan header with a splitter.

An easy solution to turn off the LED's would be to just turn off the psu power switch after you shut it down. It doesn't bother me mine stay on all the time. 🙂

Nate152
Please excuse the forum it's not you, it goes on the brink every evening at this time, I don't know why but it does.

Something you could try with the LED's is the keybot II feature, I haven't used it but it might get your pc to start with the Erp s4-s5 power state. You'll have to install the keybot II software to use it, here is a guide from Bahz.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83368-New-Information-on-KeyBot-II-Software-for-Maximus-VII...

Nate152 wrote:

You should have the pump connected to the W_Pump header and the fans connected to the cpu fan and cpu opt headers or cpu fan header with a splitter.

Please excuse the forum it's not you, it goes on the brink every evening at this time, I don't know why but it does.

Something you could try with the LED's is the keybot II feature, I haven't used it but it might get your pc to start with the Erp s4-s5 power state. You'll have to install the keybot II software to use it, here is a guide from Bahz.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83368-New-Information-on-KeyBot-II-Software-for-Maximus-VII...

The pump is connected to W_Pump and the CPU fan cable is connected to the four pin CPU_Fan header. There is a third cable with a splitter and I can't remember where that one is connected.

Interesting, I was getting hung up a few minutes ago.

That could definitely work! I'll have to give that a shot.