i7 6700k (Cooling by Hyper 212)
(2) DDR4 8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX
(1) Samsung Pro SSD 512gb
(Back Up) Samsung Evo 256gb SSD
(1) GTX 970 Video Card
(1) 650 W G2 EVGA PSU
(1) TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter for WiFi
Asus Hero Motherboard

This build had been working since early January.

So when I load up windows I keep getting a blue screen with a generic error reason.

When I load up in safe mode its been working, but anytime I try a standard boot it ****s up.

Tried isolating the ram by taking one out and then the other. Still kept happening.

Removed current ssd with windows, put in back up installed fresh windows 7. Still happened.

Removed Video card and used cpu graphics to boot and still happened.

So at this point in my opinion its either the CPU or Motherboard.

What do you think boys? Time to RMA?
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hello 777Nick

Welcome to the ROG forum.

List your psu, do you have anything else connected to your pc like a sound card or any other usb devices? The more detailed you can be with your problem the better we may be able to hone in on it.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello 777Nick

Welcome to the ROG forum.

List your psu, do you have anything else connected to your pc like a sound card or any other usb devices? The more detailed you can be with your problem the better we may be able to hone in on it.

Added the Wireless card and PSU to the post. USB Devices would be a Logitech Keyboard and Corsair m65 Mouse. Don't think its the PSU tho as the bios loads fine.

Nate152
Thank you

I'm not sure what would cause the generic error but you could run sfc /scannow in command prompt, leave a space between sfc and /

Legolas
Level 9
Hello 777Nick,

Does it run okay at stock settings/ Optimized default for the BIOS? Is your memory in the QVL?
Did you install all the drivers with Windows update?
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
Hello 777Nick,

Does it run okay at stock settings/ Optimized default for the BIOS? Is your memory in the QVL?
Did you install all the drivers with Windows update?

Have never OC'd the PC so all stock settings, memory is on the QVL, Installed all drivers with windows update.

Keep getting a different bug check code every time too. Really confused.

777Nick wrote:
Have never OC'd the PC so all stock settings, memory is on the QVL, Installed all drivers with windows update.

Keep getting a different bug check code every time too. Really confused.

Was the RAM running at 2133MHz?

scrap264
Level 7
Look up 6700k skylake chips being warped by third party coolers. I am in the same position with my maximus viii formula with 6700k and swift tech h220 aio cooler.

Was working for a couple weeks and now I get whea incorrectable error although I have never oc'd and have narrowed it down to the mobo or cpu.

Just saw the article about thinner substrate on the skylake chips leading to warping of chip and/or socket and wondering if that is my prob along with many other people who seen to be in same boat with skylake.

Furthermore what does this mean for RMA and what to do to prevent it in the future besides staying away from skylake.

rickytuk
Level 10
Sound like windows has just taken a dump which is good news . A clean install should do the trick. If you RMA the motherboard you'll need to do a clean install anyway so give it a try. These Z170 boards do seem to have lots of issues but if everything shows up in the bios & windows boots in safe mode then a clean install is the first thing I'd try