cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoddy Keyboards G74sx??

JKB0076
Level 7
Overall I'm happy with my G74sx-BBY8. My only gripe after having it for a couple of weeks is the keyboard. I'm on my second G74, the first one being returned for the z button and spacebar hardly working. My second g74 the left shift key really needs to be pressed hard to work. I figure I can live with it but the more I think about it a pretty well used button. Plus I'm just worried about it over the long haul. Will it hold up to the times?

My question is, is this pretty widespread or did I just get unlucky twice. I've got to make a decision on keeping this, trading it in for an excahnge again or just getting a different brand. I'd hate to trade this one in for another just to be plagued by the same issue. I've got so much of my programs loaded I'd hate to even exchange it. 😞

for the record, all my drivers, bios, etc updated.
11 REPLIES 11

JRd1st
Level 12
Yeah, the keyboards ARE sort of crappy, and in my opinion it's only amatter of time until they wear out... a short time comparitively.

I hardly ever use my KB so I'm not overly worried, but it still pisses me off knowing I spent so much money on a notebook with such shoddy components.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Yea, that's kind of disheartening to hear.

I do have another gripe but I knew this when buying it from the demo model that was out. The speakers suck. But the keyboard for me is a major issue. Decisions, decisions...

JKB0076 wrote:
Yea, that's kind of disheartening to hear.

I do have another gripe but I knew this when buying it from the demo model that was out. The speakers suck. But the keyboard for me is a major issue. Decisions, decisions...

It's true that the speakers are crap. It's true that the keyboard seems a little flaky.

But honestly, I think this is just the current state of affairs with PC laptops....I've looked at a bunch over the past year or so, and they ALL seemed flimsier and flakier than laptops from a few years ago. It's a low-margin business, and I think they all cut corners on basic components these days. 😞

I understand if you decide to take it back, but I'm curious what you'd get that seems any better....

I'm to far in to this Laptop to take it back. Just too much time invested loading personal stuff on to it, deleting bloatware, running updates, etc.

It's true, you go to other laptop forums and there's a laundry list of issues with other brands. Pick your demon I guess? 😄

Plus I know I'd have a hard time finding a 17" with this hardware at G74sx-BBY8's price point(wife capped my on a budget lol).

Agreed about the keyboard. I have found on several random occasions letters typed repeating themselves many times, but the keys themselves don't stick. This always happens to my wife in Windows, but has never happened to me in linux, so I'm not sure what to blame. It does though seem to be the most fragile component of the notebook.

And yeah, the speakers are pretty crrrrrrrrappy....;)
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ChrisP12934
Level 8
I just bought one for my son for Christmas and the 'X' key it hyper-sensitive. Just grazing it causes it to register as does pressing any of the keys around it. The laptop is screaming fast, sound is good, but I won't buy another one.

You get one chance to make a first impression. FAIL!

ChrisP12934 wrote:
I just bought one for my son for Christmas and the 'X' key it hyper-sensitive. Just grazing it causes it to register as does pressing any of the keys around it. The laptop is screaming fast, sound is good, but I won't buy another one.

You get one chance to make a first impression. FAIL!

+1 That's a good motto to go by!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
+1 That's a good motto to go by!

Do you have any info on the proper way to remove the keys to check the mechanicals? Is it a straight up pop off like most laptop keys? I've worked in electronics for years, so opening the unit doesn't scare me. I just want to be sure I'm doing it properly. I'm almost positive it's a mechanical problem.

ChrisP12934 wrote:
Do you have any info on the proper way to remove the keys to check the mechanicals? Is it a straight up pop off like most laptop keys? I've worked in electronics for years, so opening the unit doesn't scare me. I just want to be sure I'm doing it properly. I'm almost positive it's a mechanical problem.

I looked into that myself, and it wasn't promising. First of all, the keyboard and top cover are highly integrated and it's a real chore to separate the keyboard. When you do, you realize that what you see from the top surface is what you get.....there's no access or visibility to the key attachment mechanisms at all. (Remember how, on older keyboards, you could peek under there with a flashlight to see what you were working with? No go on the G74.)

So, you'd have to take the leap and simply pull a key off to see how the attachment works. Breaking it in the process is certainly a possibility, and I wasn't willing to sacrifice a perfectly good key just to satisfy my curiosity. If you decide to pull one off, be sure to take photos and share them!