cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY plugged in, not charging issue at 23% battery life.

Jason_Tay_Junbi
Level 7
Initially i have charged my g752vy until fully charged and after unplugged, it shows 95% battery status. I carry on and play some games while on battery mode till it runs down to 23%. I then exit my game and at 23%, i decided to charge my battery up again but suddenly it shows plugged in, not charging. I try restarting my laptop but to no avail. I then shutdown my laptop and after 30 mins turn it on, it can charge again back up to 100%. So far that has been the first time i encounter this problem while using this laptop for 3 months, just want to know is this normal? What is probably the issues that might be causing this?
7 REPLIES 7

Jason_Tay_Junbi
Level 7
Happens again for the 2nd time today after playing game on battery mode. I exit the game with 8% battery life remaining, plugged in and again the battery indicator shows plugged in, not charging! I try again after 10mins, luckily manage to charge again. Is it the laptop's way of preventing charging when the laptop or battery gets too hot and I wonder is this normal? Please advise me if u guys reading this got any idea, thanks a lot.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I cant speak specifically for the charger on these laptops but it is a built in design in most Lithium charging systems and even battery powered tool chargers to not charge while the battery is hot. Honestly you are the first person I've heard of gaming on battery. Im going to be out of town for a couple of weeks and my G752VY doesnt fit in a case that meets the 14 inch carry one requirement so its staying home. Ill give it a go when I get back to see if it reproduces on another machine.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I cant speak specifically for the charger on these laptops but it is a built in design in most Lithium charging systems and even battery powered tool chargers to not charge while the battery is hot. Honestly you are the first person I've heard of gaming on battery. Im going to be out of town for a couple of weeks and my G752VY doesnt fit in a case that meets the 14 inch carry one requirement so its staying home. Ill give it a go when I get back to see if it reproduces on another machine.

Thanks for ur advice. I do gaming on battery mode sometimes when only it's a short session as i do not wish to keep plugging in for long hours thinking it will over cook the battery life fast. I'm a new user of gaming laptop so i honestly do not know whether is it ok to plug in around 4 to 5 hours everyday when on gaming even though fully charged is indicated? Will that make the battery life die out fast?

JustinThyme wrote:

Yeah, not really something you read too often about gaming on battery, at least with these newer systems anyway.

It's possible that the ACPI driver for battery control might need to be uninstalled and reinstalled again (fixes a problem like this sometimes) but that's for when you unplug and plug in the AC adapter multiple times with the battery below 95% (definitely aware of the smart charging). My guess is yeah, battery probably was really hot and the charging cycle won't start because of it; Batteries get warm enough when charging.

To a safe journey! Cheers!

JustinThyme wrote:

Yeah, not really something you read too often about gaming on battery, at least with these newer systems anyway.

It's possible that the ACPI driver for battery control might need to be uninstalled and reinstalled again (fixes a problem like this sometimes) but that's for when you unplug and plug in the AC adapter multiple times with the battery below 95% (definitely aware of the smart charging). My guess is yeah, battery probably was really hot and the charging cycle won't start because of it; Batteries get warm enough when charging.

To a safe journey! Cheers!

Otot
Level 7
I do gaming on battery mode sometimes when only it's a short session as i do not wish to keep plugging in for long hours thinking it will over cook the battery life fast. I'm a new user of gaming laptop so i honestly do not know whether is it ok to plug in around 4 to 5 hours everyday when on gaming even though fully charged is indicated? Will that make the battery life die out fast?

The battery will only charge to just right under 100% and then you play through power supply. So it should be better, even for battery lifetime, to let it plugged in.

Otot wrote:
The battery will only charge to just right under 100% and then you play through power supply. So it should be better, even for battery lifetime, to let it plugged in.

So i will just let it plugged in all the way during gaming sessions from now on, thanks for advice 🙂