cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551JW USB backward compatibility issues

Rngaddict
Level 7
Hey there!

I bought a G551JW a few weeks ago and I've been having a weird problem ever since. I looked around the forum and I have seen some other USB related problems but they were kinda the opposite of mine.

I had a W7 installer and after a bit of messing around I added the USB3 drivers into it (I didn't have a spare DVD around so I had to install it from an USB, but of course W7 doesn't support that natively). Then I upgraded it to 10 Pro.

Basically on both OS I had my USB 3 devices working, but every 2.0 device was not recognized with a device malfunction message and an error 43. This includes USB mice too (most annoying part tbh). First I tried to mess around with BIOS settings, updating BIOS, updating drivers, and uninstalling them to let windows reinstall them itself. Of course all of this to no avail.

Eventually I found this forum where I saw a long thread with G751 USB problems. There was a short post with a link to WIN-RAID to download modded drivers by Fernando and to install them with digital signature disabled. This has been the latest progress and fixed most of the 2.0 devices. So far I've tried a bunch of different pendrives and all of them worked in every port due to the modded drivers.

However, my mice still don't work. I have a couple gaming mice at home that I will try later on, presuming a dedicated driver could be of help. I haven't tried changing BIOS settings since using the modded drivers, I'll do that later on but I doubt it'll do anything.

Do you guys have any additional ideas that could help? Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Rngaddict
Level 7
So after I sort of gave it a rest over the weekend I decided to look into it again today.

Madness! I don't recall having made any changes since the last time and then multiple different 2.0 deveices were working along with all other 3.0 stuff. Now I fired up the machine and voilá, 2.0 isn't working once again. I tried resetting the drivers to the default and then re-running the modded driver install. No result. I tried them with a couple different BIOS settings but again nothing.

I seriously refuse to believe this could be a hardware issue now that I had 2.0 working once. Albeit mice didn't work, for yet unknown reasons. Seems like I'm back to square one again. I've read Gps3dx's guide on how to fix the USB problems on the G751 series but some things are different on this machine. Also I wasn't quite sure which drivers were supposed to be installed based on his writing so I took the modded ones, which seemed to work atleast partially the last time.

Did a driver reset again today and then installed back the modded drivers as usual. Nothing happened. Something caught my eye about a device cleanup tool and I decided to give it a try. It got my 2.0 drive working again, mice still a no go. About half an hour later after messing around with connecting my phone to it (didn't work) the 2.0 drive stopped working again.

http://imgur.com/aPNEKVl

This is what the device manager looks like. Before the modded drivers everything was just showing up with error 43, now it's the failed enumeration thing.

Rngaddict wrote:
Did a driver reset again today and then installed back the modded drivers as usual. Nothing happened. Something caught my eye about a device cleanup tool and I decided to give it a try. It got my 2.0 drive working again, mice still a no go. About half an hour later after messing around with connecting my phone to it (didn't work) the 2.0 drive stopped working again.

http://imgur.com/aPNEKVl

This is what the device manager looks like. Before the modded drivers everything was just showing up with error 43, now it's the failed enumeration thing.

I have a suspicion for about a year that the device named "failed enumeration" is because some windows updates.
I know that reflashing the same bios version you got ( or a newer one ) solved this ( that "failed enumeration" just disappear ).

I saw your USB device manager tree... you're missing only about 1-2 "USB Composite Device" compared to mine, but the latter might be added because of some touchpad/ACPI/m1,m2,m3 drivers etc...
you got USB 2.0 support AFAIK because your EHCI driver exist.
On my win10 home ed. I got both of these EHCI devices's driver from INTEL version 9.4.0.1025 date 31/07/13.
I don't recall that i'd made somethng special to get these driver, so I think the OS installed them or windows updates got it.

Please download Nirsoft's USBDEVICE FROM HERE ( x64 version ).
First, disconnect you USB 2.0 mouse.
run USBDEVICE as admin, and "uninstall" any GRAY line that you get.
only then try to connect your mouse ( I guess you've checked that its HW actually works on another computer ).
if you don't get it to work, please open device manager->view->show hidden devices and search for it, try to uninstall it including drivers.
then disconnect and reconnect, if it still doesn't work, try to update its drivers through right click on it->update driver soft..->search automatically.

P.S the intel's USB 3.0 drivers were designed officially by intel for windows 7. ( as they stop publishing in their site usb drivers for newer OSs ).
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Thanks for the reply!

I tried reflashing the 207 version BIOS again but that did nothing. I might try some older versions a bit later.

I dl'ed the tool you linked and uninstalled everything except the other 3.0 usb I'm using. Tried uninstalling drivers in device manager and then force updating them after they reinstalled on reboot. Nothing happened.

HW was working on every other machine I tried so that shouldn't be the issue. I still have the modded drivers from winraid installed so I might have a go at reinstalling the default ones to see if that does anything, but I doubt it.

I've been thinking about this lately, is it possible that the issue is a result of a faulty win 10 upgrade?

Might try doing a clean 8 or 8.1 install and then upgrade from that. These models aren't supposed to be ran on 7 anyway, albeit we could import the USB 3.0 drivers into the 7 installer but still.

Rngaddict
Level 7
Same problem after a clean install of 8.1 pro both on that and after the upgrade itself.

2.0 drive was working on and off mostly after uninstalling everything usb related in device manager. But shortly after it always got back to the same problem. Mice still a no go.

I tried the modded drivers again. Something caught my eye about the xHCI root hub disappearing from the usb devices after installing the controller. First I figured I'd reverse the order and install the xHCI root hub first and then the controller. IIRC I did that before aswell. Led to the failed enumeration bull****. I thought I'd have a look if it was showing up if I enabled hidden devices, and it did, but even after a reinstall in the proper order resulted in the same enumeration problem.

Gps3dx
Level 12
xHCI is USB 3.0 related.
AFAIK, if you delete any custom installed USB driver, windows should reinstall the default drivers from the built-in drivers of windows.
The weir part is that you told the the issue persist even after clean windows installation.
If the mouse, you claim that isn't working on the G551, works on other PC, only by "plug&play", i.e no manual driver installation is needed,
then I can only derive to the conclusion that your issue is HW based or bios / bios configuration based issue.

You said you've reflashed bios 207... have you tried 209 ? it was released not long ago 2016/04/01.
this might be a resolution.
Enter your bios and note your current configurations. ONLY THEN, perform the upgrade.
also, after the upgrade completed -> please enter the bios and "restore default" configuration-> save & reboot -> enter bios again and reconfig whatever you need ( like CSM, fast boot etc... ).

Also, as a compromise in the mean-time.... I've read that many users reports that if you plug a USB 2.0 HUB into USB 3.0 ports, and connect your USB 2.0 devices to that hub, their USB 2.0 connectivity issue solved ( this solved many the issue of USB 2.0 printers connectivity on win8.1 ).

Also, have you installed latest release of windows 8.1 or at least have you "windows update" your system to the latest update from MS ?
( EXCLUDING the KB3038853 or any other MS-bloat-ads-calling-for-win10-upgrade ) ?

Also, although my guide about USB 3.0 talks about using Asus's "USB 3.0 Boost" driver from the "Al Suite" package, it can indeed cause issues according to some article.
Nontheless, I personally use it on my G751JT with win10 ( RTM and 1511 release ), and it works just great.

You need to rule-out that your issue is indeed not a SW for certain.
get ubuntu or windows on a USB / DVD , and try to boot them ( press ESC during POST, to boot from the external device ).

if you can't get it to boot on your laptop, but you can boot on other PC ( to rule out any mistakes during the USB/DVD creation ), it is probably HW issue and I advise you to RMA your laptop. ( I presume here, that the bios version change and/or re-configuration didn't help ).
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Rngaddict
Level 7
Thank's for the lengthy reply!

Yep that's what I was puzzled about too that it was the exact same after a clean 8.1 install. You're right that after uninstalling custom drivers it reinstalls the default system ones, but that doesn't fix anyting unfortunately.

The mouse I tested it with was working on another laptop that I used before without any special treatment, I assume it still does but I'll have a look tomorrow. I seriously doubt it would've died since then though.

I've heard of this 209 version BIOS but I haven't seen it on ASUS website yet. I'll have a look for it. I might also try flashing older BIOS versions to see if that does anything.

I know about the HUB thing but I honestly can't be bothered with it. If I'm gonna go to a shop to buy a HUB I might aswell RMA the thing.

I'm not sure what you mean with the 8.1 update. It's running win 10 pro now, but like I said I tried for testing purposes on 8.1 to see if it works there. Of course it didn't. Not in 10, either.

I've seen this AI suite issue you mention, but I never used that thing. Might give it a try.

I'm hopeful that the BIOS will fix it, this is always something that can make or break things. Thanks again!

Rngaddict
Level 7
Tried the 209 BIOS but it did nothing. I looked around for a few different versions of AI suite / USB boost but for some reason they were unable to install.

I think I'll send it back to ASUS, getting sick and tired of this. Thanks for the help.