cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx Charging Problem Constant Switching Between A/C and Battery Mode

Skydoggerz
Level 7
My G74sx has a problem that just started happening. It was very seldom at first, happening on rare occasion but the past few weeks I get it switching between A/C Mode and Battery Mode. Like this:

I bought a brand new ASUS battery but still same problem. It started getting worse a week ago, nothing too bad I would just resettle the power cord and everything would be fine. Now as of yesterday it is almost constantly getting the switching A/C-Battery Mode icon large on the screen and very annoying. I ended the process ATKOSD.exe so the icons aren't in the middle of the screen but there is still an Icon on the left upper hand side of the screen and still pretty annoying. I cannot situate the cord in any manner that helps usually. I checked the cord and the pin inside that connects to MB and they are solid fine, no movement or anything visually wrong.

The main problem is that the metal end of the power cord is EXTREMELY hot!!! I am ordering another power adapter now. Will the Targus 180w work with the G74sx as I have heard claimed in forums?

I run a marketing firm from home with this computer and cannot go a week without it waiting for another charger. Anyone have the same problem and know of a fix? Is it safe to use still? Feeling how hot the end of the charger gets worries me, it is definitely too hot to hold when I feel it!
3 REPLIES 3

C4RN1
Level 9
Either you have a short at the end of the charger cable or your dc jack has a short. It's not a good idea to use it while in this condition since it can short the motherboard or cause a fire.

If you have to replace the dc jack there's a tutorial in my signature for the g73 (same dc jack).

Ok thanks. I don't have a multimeter here, is there any way I can tell which one it is without one?

Julskey
Level 10
To isolate the problem, try another AC adapter with approximately the same ratings ( 19.5V dc, 7.7Amps) with + at the center (polarity is important).