cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 1504 + Samsung 950 PRO NVMe = Boot speed of 4 seconds.

d5aqoep
Level 8
Things you have to do:
1. Make GPT UEFI USB installer windows 10 disk using RUFUS 1.7
2. Disable CSM in your BIOS settings.
3. Boot Windows setup from the created USB drive by pressing F8 at ASUS ROG logo screen at the very beginning.
4. Make sure your 950 is formatted to GPT style partition. If windows is not allowing you to install, delete any existing partitions on 950 PRO and let setup create partitions.
5. After install, let Windows 10 finish indexing, updating, and sending all your private data to Microsoft 😛
6. Make sure you have fastboot enabled in BIOS as well as in power settings of Windows

That's it.

Shutdown and Start would be the fastest.

Restarts would be slower but still better.

It takes me 4 seconds from ASUS ROG logo to fully loaded OS. I don't even see those circling dots of Windows.

Enjoy and do not complain ever of slow boot speeds. You are doing it wrong.
4 REPLIES 4

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
ROG logo to windows is not a problem for my system. Where I experience a problem is from pressing the power button to seeing anything appear on screen. It must take close to 10 seconds. I'll certainly give your method a try though to see if it makes any difference.

Code_Frenzy wrote:
ROG logo to windows is not a problem for my system. Where I experience a problem is from pressing the power button to seeing anything appear on screen. It must take close to 10 seconds. I'll certainly give your method a try though to see if it makes any difference.

Even I get 10 seconds for that. You cannot do anything about it.

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
But seriously, what is it doing during that time? I've read several posts that say memory timings which the Z170 chipset requires and it's not advisable to bypass. But I would have expected some sort of POST message stating that (when messages are enabled). But I see nothing and the mobo op-code flies through all the POST stages. There's not one step where I could say that's the problem. I did wonder if it could be a graphics issue, but having read so many threads about slow boot times on Z170 it would seem like approx 15 seconds to desktop is pretty normal?

Chino
Level 15