cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe 16x Slot 1 clip broke

SGMRock
Level 9
First time this has happened to me on modern motherboard. The PCIe clip on the end of my slot 1 PCIe slot snapped off at the little arm the clips it in to the end of the slot. I have Fury X cards right now so they are not that long and heavy like my old Asus R290X cards were so it still is rather snug in the slot with the 2 case slot screws in.

Kind of annoying I released it and pulled the card out but seems to have somehow still hung on the end and ended up making it pretty difficult to get to release. Anyway not sure its worth thing to RAM the board for that even if they would. Just worried if I put a larger card in there in the future if its going to stay in there snug or my current one for that matter, though it seems to be fine atm.

Thoughts? Would a new clip be able to be snapped in there if I got the little piece of the old one out? Does it really matter that much? I hate broken stuff so my OCD is going bug me on this until I replace this MB at some point in the future, maybe when the next -E MB's come out.

Shoot I built lots of systems in the old days when ISA slots and the first PCI slots never had any clips. Of course cards were not massive heat sink sagging monsters back then like they are now, and most cases were horizontal on the desk unlike today where they are mostly vertical.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello SGMRock

Sorry to hear you broke a pcie clip.

I use a ballpoint pen with its cap on to press the clip to release the gpu, depending how much of the clip is left you could do that.

If you're able to release it I'd go with it.

SGMRock
Level 9
it basically looks like this now from this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOVXs-p-Nd4

Just a little piece left in there. I guess I could do what that guy did and remove the little end there and pop in a new clip if of course I could get another clip. 😛 I have some Asus boards around that have those clips still on them but not the nice red color. Of course when the card is in the slot you can barely see those clips and they are a huge pain to reach and release. I normally have to use something long and thin like a flat tipped screwdriver to release it.

My card comes in and out just fine so that's not a problem. Its not latching because there is no part of the latch left.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case

Nate152
Ahhh gotcha !

I would think as long as you have it screwed into the pci bracket it's not going to go anywhere. I doubt they would do an RMA for the broken clip, I know they won't If there are bent/broken cpu socket pins.

If it's working fine and you've got it screwed into place I'd go with it.

SGMRock
Level 9
Yes that was my thought as well. If I end up putting a heavier bigger card in the slot later I could probably snap the clip out of the bottom PCIe slot and put it in the top since I only ever run 2 graphics cards max the bottom PCIe slot is always empty. Right now I don't think the Fury X is going anywhere, its in there really tight in the slot and the screws are solid in the case so I think i'm good, was just seeking opinions. I Googled around before I posted here and found it happens to a lot of people, some say they take them off on purpose. Others of course all cry doom and gloom saying how your card is going to come unseated and every other dooming thing like short out and so on. I had to laugh at those.

Mostly for me its just this little thing in the back of my head saying you have something broken on your MB!!! 🙂 OH well it goes good with my semi crappy CPU sample that can barely hit 4.4 stable at 1.3v 😛

Nate152
That's a pretty good overclock on your 5960x if I don't say so myself considering it's 3.0GHz stock.

Using a clip from one of the other pcie slots is a good idea if it bothers you too much. 🙂

You are not an idiot I believe this is a known problem with all their PCIe slots they manufactured prior to using "safeslot" pcie slots. I have a Asus Rog Maximus viii hero alpha ,I suspect that part reason pcie slots where failing is same reason mine just came off with board & Because they were not attached to the board properly I want to say this because I think a lot of people who were having pcie slots could be related to the same issue. Anyone who has ROG mobo not necessarily even exact same board so long the manufacturing method to attach was same plz msg me as Asus is trying claim physical dmg. I believe this is one main reasons they upgraded to "safeslot" pcie on their strix & rampage series of mobos. Furthermore I believe the weight of the "bigger " graphic cards such as Nvidia 1060, 1070,1080 and AMD equivalent causes this happen more quickly than say a smaller Graphic cards. In either case I believe ASUS is fully aware of the issues with their Pcie slots prior to their change to "safeslot" furthermore if that was not case why did they make such abig deal about their new and improved pcie slots. Anyone with ROG boards wth similar issues or pcie not working contact me as I will b filling class action lawsuit. I will Not let this stand and let Asus use dispicable tactics to try avoid honoring their warranty or possibly putting spotlight on a recall issue they are trying hide. I have seen many people who claim pcie slots not working and while it's not exactly same as my issues I believe they are related and will b conducting tests. Any info on slots coming up with video cards please email me at sepseverus@hotmail.com

Muerate wrote:
You are not an idiot I believe this is a known problem with all their PCIe slots they manufactured prior to using "safeslot" pcie slots. I have a Asus Rog Maximus viii hero alpha ,I suspect that part reason pcie slots where failing is same reason mine just came off with board & Because they were not attached to the board properly I want to say this because I think a lot of people who were having pcie slots could be related to the same issue. Anyone who has ROG mobo not necessarily even exact same board so long the manufacturing method to attach was same plz msg me as Asus is trying claim physical dmg. I believe this is one main reasons they upgraded to "safeslot" pcie on their strix & rampage series of mobos. Furthermore I believe the weight of the "bigger " graphic cards such as Nvidia 1060, 1070,1080 and AMD equivalent causes this happen more quickly than say a smaller Graphic cards. In either case I believe ASUS is fully aware of the issues with their Pcie slots prior to their change to "safeslot" furthermore if that was not case why did they make such abig deal about their new and improved pcie slots. Anyone with ROG boards wth similar issues or pcie not working contact me as I will b filling class action lawsuit. I will Not let this stand and let Asus use dispicable tactics to try avoid honoring their warranty or possibly putting spotlight on a recall issue they are trying hide. I have seen many people who claim pcie slots not working and while it's not exactly same as my issues I believe they are related and will b conducting tests. Any info on slots coming up with video cards please email me at sepseverus@hotmail.com

So I've been pulling my hair out for couple days wondering is my rtx titan screwed after only 2 months or not. Its only very very slight speckiling on black which I still don't know if the cards damaged or not as I've got to put my machine back together now still. But on my r6eo board clip on pcie x16 slot 1had broken off meaning the card wasn't seated all the way in the slot. Now seeing as the actual pcie slots are advertising for there special new design with extra strength slots to stop the heaviest of gpus from twisting in the slots it was completely let down by a cheap piece of plastic crapy clip. The pc never moves either so it it was either the card itself or a badly made clip altogether if it's killed my rtx titan will asus cover the cost if nvidia won't rma the gpu if after I've checked everything out and fired the machine back up to see what the damage may or may not be. I don't know if I'm even making a mistake off posting this post as I just know if it has damaged the gpu both companies are going to say the other is liable. Its not like we're talking cheap gpu here it cost more than all my other parts together.

Anyway for 3 of us to have had this very same issue on very new boards there is definitely a manufacturing or design issue here that asus need to do something about quickly before it makes other pc owners have to go through the horrible situations myself and the original poster went through.
Anyway
Rant over and sorry if my language was blunt but u can understand my frustration at present